Thread: Advice for iphone photography vs point-and-shoot

Question Advice for iphone photography vs point-and-shoot

Hey everyone i found something on youtube that you might find useful. I'm a really inexperienced photographer so i found this useful.
    In this video there is a comparison of shots between a Canon S90 and a iphone 4S. Surprisingly the results are about the same! i'm quite impressed about how our smartphones perform against the conventional camera.

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=dt6Vmq6uFjo

For those more experienced, i would still like advice on more advantages of point-and-shoot cameras as opposed to iphone. After watching this video i'm still trying to decide whether to buy one. The nikon 1 looks really nice sia. might still end up buying no matter what haha!

Quote Originally Posted by netizensrock
    Hey everyone i found something on youtube that you might find useful. I'm a really inexperienced photographer so i found this useful.
    In this video there is a comparison of shots between a Canon S90 and a iphone 4S. Surprisingly the results are about the same! i'm quite impressed about how our smartphones perform against the conventional camera.

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=dt6Vmq6uFjo

For those more experienced, i would still like advice on more advantages of point-and-shoot cameras as opposed to iphone. After watching this video i'm still trying to decide whether to buy one. The nikon 1 looks really nice sia. might still end up buying no matter what haha!
    Just note that the Nikon 1 series is not point and shoot. It's an interchangeable lens system. There is a big advantage when you compare it with a simple point and shoot.

Default Re: Advice for iphone photography vs point-and-shoot

I personally find that the iPhone 4 is only a good 'camera' under good light and if you ignore the zoom. Once you zoom, everything goes noisy and pixelly. I also find my pictures having a bluish cast (shot w/o flash) when I use it under yellowish light.

There're always limitations. Gotta either work within them or creatively work around them.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Need to know what the imitations of ur camera, what it can & can't do.

This is my take to your question. Between a point and shoot and a mobile phone camera of similar capabilities, the biggest question is which u take out most and how u want to use it. Given that you will likely have your iphone in your pocket than a point and shoot, it is quite an obvious choice that iPhone is a better choice if quality is not your paramount factor. If it is, then point and shoot wouldn't beat the big and bulky dslr either. Therefore your factors most likely fall on usability and weight and portability. While s95 or similar pocket size camera are not particularly bigger or heavier than iPhone, it certainly wouldn't be your first choice of equipment to bring along if you need to travel super light.

But in comparison, iphone4 still do not surpass in terms of quality and features that s95 offers. Given me a choice, I choose iphone4s as my take if what I need is some pictures for memory and portability is important. If u always travel with a bag, then a s95 point and shoot will serve u better.
    Last edited by David Kwok; 2nd February 2012 at 10:20 PM.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Blog Entries

at this moment the iphone does somethings better and the p&s does somethings better
    i personally choose the best camera that is suited for the job

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    at this moment the iphone does somethings better and the p&s does somethings better
    i personally choose the best camera that is suited for the job
    i concur.

there are times when you do not have the time to fish through your bag for your P&S. rather quickly, take your phone out and snap away.

but if you have the time, do use a proper camera. you won't regret when you find your pictures better than when taken with a phone camera.

Well, simply put...

1. iPhone: good for facebook camwhores. Great for people who only look at pictures as small resolutions and are not picky about quality.

2. Point and shoot: better image quality, optical zoom, faster shooting and operation, ergonomics better for photo taking, etc.
    Alpha

Todays iPhone 4S can be fun for daytime images, under good light as many have mentioned here.

What I would like to see is the Photoshop Express App built in to todays "semi-pro compacts" G12, P7100, X10...... now that would be fun !!

Or you cameras can link direct to you iPhone 4S
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

iphone photography? nowadays its like galaxy tab photography. imagine 10" liveview....
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Blog Entries

if you do not know what the iphone is capable of, i would suggest looking in the APAD gallery

Go check out Chia Aik Beng's flickr. Our resident iphonographer whom is able to make rocking pictures
    instagram: @2ndhandphotog

the iPhone4(s)'s camera is suprisingly good. For those once-in-a-blue-moon moments where the only camera you have is your phone, for most times, it won't let you down.
    (no, i don't own one, i have a mini pro. even this little phone's camera is quite useful. i hate its green cast on fluorescent on autowhite balance though

a bit OT, but i made a promise to myself never to download wallpapers for my phone ever again, thus forcing myself to take notice of possible wallpaper-materials scenes around me = photography practice

now planning to do the same for my desktop.

Chia Aik Beng FTW!