Thread: Putting old flim into Dry cabinet with camera

Default Putting old flim into Dry cabinet with camera

Hi guys. I am thinking of getting a dry cabinet for my nex 5n, and killing 2 birds with 1 stone by getting a bigger cabinet so I can put my old film in.

These films are from my childhood, and over a decade old. I've scanned some of them and it seems that there is some mold. Would it spread to the camera/lenses in the dry cabinet?

Thank you for reading.

Default Re: Putting old flim into Dry cabinet with camera

Fungus is spread by spores that develop into fungus once the conditions are suitable. Fungus spores are airborne and everywhere around us, likely your camera has already lots of fungus spores on it and inside. The dry cabinet will slow down / prevent fungus development inside due to the lower RH.
    It's a good idea not to introduce massive amounts of fungus spores as they are sitting on your films. Check with the guys in the film sections here how to clean your film and get rid of the fungus.
    EOS

Default Re: Putting old flim into Dry cabinet with camera

Thank you for your advice. I have decided to put the films in a separate container with silica gel. That should be enough since the film won't be accessed often.