Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 82

Thread: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing session

  1. #41

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    why so complicated.

    i prefer pen / pencil with paperback textbook and sexy female teacher writing on whiteboard..

  2. #42

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    There may be some hidden reasons for implementing use of tablets in school.

    E.g. Putting a front image that the school is following MOE's IT Masterplan (whatever version) which may lead to some kind of recognition, incentives/awards which helps to build up image. Effective or not later then evaluate, packaging comes first.

    Tablets/technology I believe is to work hand in hand with the more traditional way of paper pen materials and not as a replacement of it. At the end of the day, exams are not going to be carried out through 'softcopy', so relying too much on apps, animation may result in the loss of skill in writing itself.

    Also one has to weigh the pros and cons of wide usage of technology. Effective learning vs distraction and whether the school has measures against the possibility of the later (hard though, schools have problems preventing mobile phones being distractions).

    If is purchase of , say , graphic calculators because they need it in exam, then it is justifiable for students to purchase (compulsory). However tablets are more of luxury so it would be unfair if school requires each student to have one. I feel schools nowadays are being run in 'business' manner and in the midst of it the higher management fails to remember that sch (govt) is aimed to provide affordable quality education and not 'fanciful' education.

    Want to learn though e-learning methods? Schools have funds to run computer labs. Want tablets? Wait till got sch fund and include say 40 tablets in one com lab.

    Using tablets to offset weight of books is not too strong a reason in my opinion, for sometimes it is due to students not packing their bags effectively and end up bringing everything OR lesson planning failure on teachers' part that make students bring too much barang barang.

    I still prefer books/paper notes to ebooks in learning because they allow me to flip between pages faster.

    Some top universities still use chalk and blackboard to lecture..does that mean their education level is lower? Or they are more outdated?

  3. #43

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    why so complicated.

    i prefer pen / pencil with paperback textbook and sexy female teacher writing on whiteboard..
    i like this part BEST ....
    pen / pencil / paper ... manual blogging and diary that everyone forgotten about ...

    No I am not from JJC, HCI or RV ... but have other business dealing with the particular principal ... not a pleasant experience.

    I think one of the key difference when it comes to RV implementation of of the iPad2, is the person behind the initiation of this idea. I believe a lot of parents are kidding up the fuss because of him ... not really that they are against the idea or really have financial difficulties buying the iPad2.
    Touch the Moments ... Hold the colours of Joy

  4. #44
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    interesting. i avoided him as much as i can

  5. #45

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    soon it'll be the in-thing to say, even among the male students....

    "i love my pad and i bring it to school everyday! it's white and i use it a lot... but the best thing is that it doesn't get stains on it! wow!"

  6. #46
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    Passed by RV the other day and for a moment I was thinking if that is actually a new sports school / badminton academy.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  7. #47
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Passed by RV the other day and for a moment I was thinking if that is actually a new sports school / badminton academy.
    it was part of the idea. I don't think I actually benefited much, apart from looking like a walking poster for lining thanks to pe and socks. and yes. it is a badminton academy. inside hall covered with prc badminton star banner.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 2nd February 2012 at 11:42 PM.

  8. #48

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    That principal (I think I know who HE is) is known to have lots of non academic patterns.....

  9. #49

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    There may be some hidden reasons for implementing use of tablets in school.

    E.g. Putting a front image that the school is following MOE's IT Masterplan (whatever version) which may lead to some kind of recognition, incentives/awards which helps to build up image. Effective or not later then evaluate, packaging comes first.

    Tablets/technology I believe is to work hand in hand with the more traditional way of paper pen materials and not as a replacement of it. At the end of the day, exams are not going to be carried out through 'softcopy', so relying too much on apps, animation may result in the loss of skill in writing itself.

    Also one has to weigh the pros and cons of wide usage of technology. Effective learning vs distraction and whether the school has measures against the possibility of the later (hard though, schools have problems preventing mobile phones being distractions).

    If is purchase of , say , graphic calculators because they need it in exam, then it is justifiable for students to purchase (compulsory). However tablets are more of luxury so it would be unfair if school requires each student to have one. I feel schools nowadays are being run in 'business' manner and in the midst of it the higher management fails to remember that sch (govt) is aimed to provide affordable quality education and not 'fanciful' education.

    Want to learn though e-learning methods? Schools have funds to run computer labs. Want tablets? Wait till got sch fund and include say 40 tablets in one com lab.

    Using tablets to offset weight of books is not too strong a reason in my opinion, for sometimes it is due to students not packing their bags effectively and end up bringing everything OR lesson planning failure on teachers' part that make students bring too much barang barang.

    I still prefer books/paper notes to ebooks in learning because they allow me to flip between pages faster.

    Some top universities still use chalk and blackboard to lecture..does that mean their education level is lower? Or they are more outdated?
    in the case of low income families, there will still be come kind of subsidy from the school which most likely come from govt funds.. and what about the running cost..? AFAIK there is a major upgrading project for MOE currently.. upgrades for the school server and network system and making them wireless..

    as mentioned earlier, this might be part of MOE masterplan and the school might just be following in the direction blindly, to gain some kind of recognition, incentives or etc..

    with or without, i seriously doubt it will make the students more clever or dumb, as the will to learn comes from within, not externally..

  10. #50
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    That principal (I think I know who HE is) is known to have lots of non academic patterns.....
    u probably got it right.

  11. #51
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    Quote Originally Posted by kazuksho View Post
    in the case of low income families, there will still be come kind of subsidy from the school which most likely come from govt funds.. and what about the running cost..? AFAIK there is a major upgrading project for MOE currently.. upgrades for the school server and network system and making them wireless..

    as mentioned earlier, this might be part of MOE masterplan and the school might just be following in the direction blindly, to gain some kind of recognition, incentives or etc..

    with or without, i seriously doubt it will make the students more clever or dumb, as the will to learn comes from within, not externally..
    not related to moe as far as I know. students pay.

  12. #52

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    not related to moe as far as I know. students pay.
    for those low income families unable to afford..?

  13. #53
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    Quote Originally Posted by kazuksho View Post
    for those low income families unable to afford..?
    I guess sch buy and loan will be next logical option. if disagree, it will be gtfo I think.

  14. #54

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    it's just ridiculous. schools are now competing for branding by showing off who has the latest gadgets, who has the best results yadda yadda...

    where are the old days where instead of showing off how great our schools are, by beating up and intimidating students from other schools?

  15. #55

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    Quote Originally Posted by kazuksho View Post
    in the case of low income families, there will still be come kind of subsidy from the school which most likely come from govt funds.. and what about the running cost..? AFAIK there is a major upgrading project for MOE currently.. upgrades for the school server and network system and making them wireless..
    Sad to say sch funds is limited...even paying 50% for ipad means poor families have to fork out $350? That is like how many months of sch fees? So I think it's the problem of the sch's management which can be linked to how the HQ rewards schools might not be optimal.

    Agree with the post above, MOE will not specifically subsidise ipads, otherwise all schs will want it also. Every year fixed funds goes to sch...depending on how they deploy it. Only special PUBLIC projects sch can ask for more subsidy from HQ under special allocated funds such as Arts Grant etc.
    Last edited by gundamseed84; 3rd February 2012 at 12:08 AM.

  16. #56

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    if you got no money, better dont have kids. need to buy laptop, pc, books, tuition fees, school fees, clothes..foods, now ipad2..knn. i really pity those low income families...

    do u guys remember last time old school books and keep and pass it to your brother or sister? now cannot liao, technology moving so fast, now is ipad2, 2 years later will be ipad4, and parents have to buy new one again.........
    Last edited by ninelives; 3rd February 2012 at 12:18 AM.
    Objection !!!

  17. #57

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    Sad to say sch funds is limited...even paying 50% for ipad means poor families have to fork out $350? That is like how many months of sch fees? So I think it's the problem of the sch's management which can be linked to how the HQ rewards schools might not be optimal.

    Agree with the post above, MOE will not specifically subsidise ipads, otherwise all schs will want it also. Every year fixed funds goes to sch...depending on how they deploy it. Only special PUBLIC projects sch can ask for more subsidy from HQ under special allocated funds such as Arts Grant etc.
    school funds are limited but you will be amazed the the types of things school will buy for their staff lounge.. omfgz.. and save up on what is really neccessary.. 黑暗啊。。

  18. #58

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    if you got no money, better dont have kids. need to buy laptop, pc, books, tuition fees, school fees, clothes..foods, now ipad2..knn. i really pity those low income families...

    do u guys remember last time old school books and keep and pass it to your brother or sister? now cannot liao, technology moving so fast, now is ipad2, 2 years later will be ipad4, and parents have to buy new one again.........
    it might be due time to put pen and paper in out time capsule..

  19. #59

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    Quote Originally Posted by kazuksho View Post
    school funds are limited but you will be amazed the the types of things school will buy for their staff lounge.. omfgz.. and save up on what is really neccessary.. 黑暗啊。。
    Ok la...teachers are kind of poor things also (behind the scenes)...some sch their lounge consists of a fridge, sofa table and chairs only. Got tv but cannot receive channels properly LOL. I would say funds could be saved from having too many overseas trip which might not be too meaningful other than excursion cum holidays.
    Last edited by gundamseed84; 3rd February 2012 at 12:27 AM.

  20. #60
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: School's plan to adopt iPad2 in lessons causes heated debate at the briefing sess

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    Sad to say sch funds is limited...even paying 50% for ipad means poor families have to fork out $350? That is like how many months of sch fees? So I think it's the problem of the sch's management which can be linked to how the HQ rewards schools might not be optimal.

    Agree with the post above, MOE will not specifically subsidise ipads, otherwise all schs will want it also. Every year fixed funds goes to sch...depending on how they deploy it. Only special PUBLIC projects sch can ask for more subsidy from HQ under special allocated funds such as Arts Grant etc.

    rvhs is autonomous. its funding is significantly larger. much much much larger.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •