Thread: Help : Resizing related

Punkie
    Guests

Originally posted by Belle&Sebastain
    Dear Punkie,

open your picture in PS6, go to Image

Image > Image size

Image size, tick Resample image

Your pixels will be constent (eg 4Mega pixel 2272 X 1704)

You could change your dpi from 72 to 300 by highlighting it and type in the new values.

The size of your print will change.

As of why your image DPI differs, not sure, my is afixed at 180 dpi
    Hi Belle&Sebastain. Thanks for the tip. Can i ask you something? Are you using a G2? Cos mine is and its afixed at 180dpi like you said. But since its just a value and its in no relation to image quality then i suppose i wont bother too much about it.
    Thanks again.

Originally posted by Eric

I haven't heard about Genuine Fractals. Must try it out. Is it better than what the photo labs can do?

Here is a link to a review at The Luminous Landscape.
    Huh? Genuine Fractals has nothing to do with the lab. But if you are asking about labs making LARGE enlargements, those who uses the Durst Lamda machines can probably do a very good job if your image quality is good to begin with.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by pop
    Cool, this is really enlightening guys.

and while we're on this, can i ask a very basic question? say i have taken a pic at resolution 1600x1200, and i wanna send for printing, can i just leave the pic as it is, and tell the shop to print 4R for me?

and do you bring the cf card to the shop or you transfer to a medium first like cdr or floppy disk, what do they accept?
    Just don't worry so much and send it in. Transfer to another medium before sending it in, unless you have LOTS of CF cards.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Just don't worry so much and send it in. Transfer to another medium before sending it in, unless you have LOTS of CF cards.

Regards
    CK
    oh, ok, thks.

Originally posted by pop

oh, ok, thks.
    Oh, sending a copy of images on CD/other media also makes sure you have a backup of them. Some labs CAN and DO corrupt images, so if you send in the CF with originals, you can permanently lose them.

Btw, a good place to send online is http://www.fotohub.com
    $0.50 per 4R, no handling fee. $2 if you want delivery.

Regards
    CK

Eric
    Guests

Huh? Genuine Fractals has nothing to do with the lab. But if you are asking about labs making LARGE enlargements, those who uses the Durst Lamda machines can probably do a very good job if your image quality is good to begin with.

Regards
    CK
    What I meant is that if I had an image at 72dpi and the photo lab equipment prints at 300dpi. Would it be better off me using Genuine Fractals to resample to 300dpi, or leaving it to the photo lab to resample using their own system. I'm assuming they resize using some form of resampling algo.

What I meant is that if I had an image at 72dpi and the photo lab equipment prints at 300dpi. Would it be better off me using Genuine Fractals to resample to 300dpi, or leaving it to the photo lab to resample using their own system. I'm assuming they resize using some form of resampling algo.
    Like I said, the dpi of an image depends on print size. The term "72dpi image" does not make sense when output size is not specified. The machine does not always print @ 300dpi, coz it's dependent on output size.

So, if you send a 1800 x 1200 file and ask them to print 4R, it will be 300dpi. Ask them to print 8RC (8x12) and it will drop to 150dpi. In this case, you may want to interpolate, but it is not necessary as 150dpi is still pretty good.

If you want to print that same 1800 x 1200 at 10 x15", then you can resample it to say 10 x 15" @ 300dpi.

Hope that clears up everything.

Regards
    CK

Btw, a good place to send online is http://www.fotohub.com
    $0.50 per 4R, no handling fee. $2 if you want delivery.

Regards
    CK
    no handling fee. that's just wonderful. thks.

Eric
    Guests

Like I said, the dpi of an image depends on print size. The term "72dpi image" does not make sense when output size is not specified.

So, if you send a 1800 x 1200 file and ask them to print 4R, it will be 300dpi. Ask them to print 8RC (8x12) and it will drop to 150dpi. In this case, you may want to interpolate, but it is not necessary as 150dpi is still pretty good.

If you want to print that same 1800 x 1200 at 10 x15", then you can resample it to say 10 x 15" @ 300dpi.

Yah, I understand. When I referred to "72dpi image", I meant an image, when printed at a particular size to give 72dpi

You mean if I want a 1800 x 1200 at 10 x15", the photo lab will not interpolate for me? I would think those Frontier minilabs would be able to at least do decent resampling up to their standard print quality (@ 300dpi).
    Last edited by Eric; 23rd July 2002 at 06:07 PM.

Yah, I understand. When I referred to "72dpi image", I meant an image, when printed at a particular size to give 72dpi

You mean if I want a 1800 x 1200 at 10 x15", the photo lab will not interpolate for me? I would think those Frontier minilabs would be able to at least do decent resampling up to their standard print quality (@ 300dpi).
    They probably do, I am not 100% sure about that. But then, 1800 x 1200 interpolated to 10 x 15 @ 300dpi (4500 x 3000) isn't going to look very good....

Regards
    CK

Hi Belle&Sebastain. Thanks for the tip. Can i ask you something? Are you using a G2?
    yes punkie! Believe to have bought it the same time as you!

Punkie
    Guests

Originally posted by Belle&Sebastain

yes punkie! Believe to have bought it the same time as you!
    Hehe cool. Champagne or Black?

classic camera me like, black colour me choose!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12