Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Malaysia, Solo Backpack Tour. Need advice

Default Re: Malaysia, Solo Backpack Tour. Need advice

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    Where got train from Perlis to east coast...
    The only place to switch train from west coast to east coast is in Gemas, N9.

And Melaka has train stations i.e. Batang Melaka, though I believe it is quite far from Melaka town.
    Thanks for input, I am thinking whether I should get a folding bicycle for travelling.?
    Should I?

Where got train from Perlis to east coast...
    The only place to switch train from west coast to east coast is in Gemas, N9.

And Melaka has train stations i.e. Batang Melaka, though I believe it is quite far from Melaka town.
    Batang Melaka is indeed a distance from Melaka Town. Anyway, it is not quite practical to try to stop at Batang Melaka unless you wish to have a look at that place. The train only stops there once a day.

The train schedule is here, have fun reading it. One is the Western route and the other is the Eastern route.

http://www.ktmb.com.my/images/pdf/jadual%20page%201.pdf

http://www.ktmb.com.my/images/pdf/jadual%20page%202.pdf

If your geography is a bit shaky, this is the railway map....

- Portal Rasmi Keretapi Tanah Melayu Intercity

Meanwhile, this is the Malaysian railway's suggestion as to the hop off points the various places of interest.

For me, the bus would be the preferred mode of transport from Singapore to Melaka.

Quote Originally Posted by DDAphoto View Post
    I am thinking whether I should get a folding bicycle for travelling.?
    Should I?
    For one month, backpacking, with camera gear... not my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Batang Melaka is indeed a distance from Melaka Town. Anyway, it is not quite practical to try to stop at Batang Melaka unless you wish to have a look at that place. The train only stops there once a day.

The train schedule is here, have fun reading it. One is the Western route and the other is the Eastern route.

http://www.ktmb.com.my/images/pdf/jadual%20page%201.pdf

http://www.ktmb.com.my/images/pdf/jadual%20page%202.pdf

If your geography is a bit shaky, this is the railway map....

Meanwhile, this is the Malaysian railway's suggestion as to the hop off points the various places of interest.

For me, the bus would be the preferred mode of transport from Singapore to Melaka.
    That means from perlis, I must go back to melacca and take the train go eastern malaysia?!

That means from perlis, I must go back to melacca and take the train go eastern malaysia?!
    Negeri 9 to be exact.
    I think there are express bus services that go from Penang/Kedah/Perlis to the east coast.

=.=" you can grab a bus from any state to any state, just need to plan your route wisely. For example, travel up north to Perlis, then go Penang, from Penang grab a bus to Kota Bahru at Kelantan. From there find your way to the railroads.
    Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF 14mm f/2.8 R | XF 18mm f/2 R | XF 35mm f/1.4 R| EF-X20 speedlite

Technically, I mentioned travel the WHOLE of Malaysia.
    I googled Malaysia Map and found out I missed out Sabah, sarawak and penang.
    http://travelmalaysiaguide.com/image...erview-map.jpg - Map of Malaysia

Johor
    Malacca
    Negeri Sembilan
    Selangor (Kuala Lumpur)
    Perak
    Penang (This is an island!)
    Kedah
    Perlis
    Kelantan
    Terenganu (Railway train does not travel here.)
    Pahang
    Sarawak (This is located away from Malaysia Mainland @ Indonesia part!)
    Sabah (This is located away from Malaysia Mainland @ Indonesia part!)

I am going out to buy a guide book for malaysia and come back and comment where I wanna visit and not visit.

lol Sabah and Sarawak are on the other side of South China Sea

Penang island is easily accessible, you can cross over from Georgetown via the ferry or crossing the Penang Bridge by bus.

Based on Malaysian railway map, you can plan your journey from south to north, take a bus to Tumpat (Kelantan) and travel along the railway coming down south. You can get a bus to Terengganu from Tumpat I guess.

Sabah and Sarawak, make it another trip... I don't think you can combine all together as it is very difficult to travel via land between Sabah and Sarawak. You need to rely on plane or boats.
    Fujifilm X-Pro1 | XF 14mm f/2.8 R | XF 18mm f/2 R | XF 35mm f/1.4 R| EF-X20 speedlite

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    lol Sabah and Sarawak are on the other side of South China Sea

Penang island is easily accessible, you can cross over from Georgetown via the ferry or crossing the Penang Bridge by bus.

Based on Malaysian railway map, you can plan your journey from south to north, take a bus to Tumpat (Kelantan) and travel along the railway coming down south. You can get a bus to Terengganu from Tumpat I guess.

Sabah and Sarawak, make it another trip... I don't think you can combine all together as it is very difficult to travel via land between Sabah and Sarawak. You need to rely on plane or boats.
    I have bought the book, $6.30 but it's 1997 edition! lol.. Nevermind, rely on internet information also.

There are no boats to travel to Sarawak from Mainland Malaysia, only choice is by Plane to kuching Sarawak.
    I think I am gonna travel to Sabah+Sarawak, IF there are interesting stuff there.
    But am wondering if I should go there just for the record.
    Last edited by DDAphoto; 3rd February 2012 at 06:21 PM.

IMHO Sabah and Sarawak are much more interesting culturally compared to Peninsular, and Peninsular culture is 75% similar to Singapore culture.
    You can climb Mt Kinabalu, visit the orang utan sanctuary in Sepilok, visit Niah Caves etc...

I have bought the book, $6.30 but it's 1997 edition! lol.. Nevermind, rely on internet information also.

There are no boats to travel to Sarawak from Mainland Malaysia, only choice is by Plane to kuching Sarawak.
    I think I am gonna travel to Sabah+Sarawak, IF there are interesting stuff there.
    But am wondering if I should go there just for the record.
    You need 2 hour flight to Sabah from KL or Sg... Sarawak capital Kuching is nearer.
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

But the Visa for Singaporeans is only 14 Days.
    How to apply for more?

Another thing is, the ticket from terenganu to kuching is almost 800$ for round trip.
    Maybe have to change plans, come back to singapore and recharge then go sarawak,kuching by tiger airways?

Play cheat abit.. >.<
    Last edited by DDAphoto; 4th February 2012 at 08:30 PM.

My ex-housemate from Sarawak used to fly from JB to Sarawak on AirAsia.

My ex-housemate from Sarawak used to fly from JB to Sarawak on AirAsia.
    Wow! thanks for the reply! the trip cost only 30+ sgd (:
    Very good deal.

But the Visa for Singaporeans is only 14 Days.
    How to apply for more?

Another thing is, the ticket from terenganu to kuching is almost 800$ for round trip.
    Maybe have to change plans, come back to singapore and recharge then go sarawak,kuching by tiger airways?

Play cheat abit.. >.<
    Thought you traveled in Thailand for 30+ days before? ASEANs don't need visa to travel to any ASEAN countries, and the social visit pass is 30 days...
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJon82 View Post
    Thought you traveled in Thailand for 30+ days before? ASEANs don't need visa to travel to any ASEAN countries, and the social visit pass is 30 days...
    Wow, now that you mentioned.. I went to thailand last time without thinking about the Visa issue. Only thought of the NS Exit Permit! >.<
    Thanks!

Hmm, with all these changes of plan, etc., it pretty much looks like you will be travelling overland up the West coast of peninsular Malaysia to Langkawi Island, then across by bus to, say, Kota Baru (the market there is very nice for photos), then down south overland to Gemas thence to JB, and from JB you fly to Kuching. Presumably you will then travel overland from Kuching to Kota Kinabalu, and then fly back to Singapore from Kotal Kinabalu.

I think it is possible to do this in 30 days but you shall have to work out your finances accordingly.

Yes, the budgeting I am planning to skip buying one of the lens and get 2 others.
    But it will total up to be 1335 Including the Camera.
    That means left 470+ dollars for travelling, eating, drinking, staying.

WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE.Almost.

I am going to work for a month to get about another 500-1k to cover up the rest. Just to be safe.
    500$ should be enough.

1 Month to travel peninsula should be enough, but might need another 15 days for Sabah and Sarawak.
    But will schedule it again later.

Will be checking out the places in malaysia that I must visit to learn of the culture and everything.
    Then will join the dots and check out the transport to take, and will estimate the approximate time taken for the journey.
    And the costs involved.
    Not forgetting the backpacker's inn!
    Last edited by DDAphoto; 5th February 2012 at 12:11 AM.

Reading this thread, it looks like you are already having fun while planning for this trip. I must say that, in my experience, the planning is at least as much fun as the travelling itself.

Safe journey. May the favourable wind be with you along your journey.

Hello everyone,

Plan
    I am thinking of going for a 1 month solo backpack tour in Malaysia around March period.
    I intend to travel by means of trains, buses, taxis and legs. Probably bicycles too.

Equipment
    1. Pentax K-r dSLR(Buying)
    2. 10-18mm f4-4.5
    3. 35mm f1.4(Buying)
    4. 50mm f1.4
    5. 28-80mm
    6. Tripod (Height - 1.6m++ Buying, S$80 from PhotoCam at Pennisula plaza)
    7. Camera backpack
    8. Laptop too heavy?(Thinking of using hotel cyber cafe/outside cyber cafe to upload images) OR (Bring ext hdd to store images)

Hygiene
    1. 1 Big towel
    2. 1 Sports towel
    3. 3 x white t-shirt
    4. 1 x casual shirt
    5. 1-2 x Jeans(wear/Wear and bring)
    6. Underwear?

People who backpack toured before please give advice, this will be my first time solo backpack tour.
    I have travelled to thailand for 30 days+- but never travel in malaysia for 30days+- with a bag so heavy.
    Washing of used clothes/towel done @ hotel

I have not thought or done research about the places to visit specifically in each state, do give some comments and i would compile them.

I would need advice regarding things to bring and to take note of.
    Do you actually foresee yourself using all the lenses that you will be bringing along? The focal lengths that you are bringing are generally all very similar. This means that simply walking a few steps back and forth using the 50mm can cover most of the lengths. Bringing along the extra lenses will just add weight, and you'll probably find yourself not using them much throughout the whole trip, so why not just leave it at home? I think the 10-18mm for wide angles, and the 50mm/35mm for general purpose and low light will be sufficient. My 2 cents.

For your trip to Thailand, were you also lugging along so much equipment and clothes? From the sound of it, you seem to have just bought your camera, so I presume you did not bring a DSLR to Thailand? The DSLR plus lens will likely add up to close to 1kg, which over long distances of walking can feel like even more. Do take up the suggestion of some previous posters by packing everything, and trying out the weight of your backpack.

Footwear wise I take it you'll be wearing a good pair of shoes. But do bring along a pair of slippers/ sandals, so that when it rains you can avoid getting your shoes wet. Wet feet in wet socks in wet shoes DO NOT make for a happy traveller similarly, a pair of shorts when walking through the rain means you do not need to worry about your jeans getting wet, which can take quite long to dry especially in humid conditions, and how to dry them afterwards. Do consider

Along the way you may hit a few laundry shops which have coin operated washing machines and dryers, and these are quite useful for a quick laundry session. Alternatively if you do stay at a hotel/ backpackers inn/ etc, they may have laundry services, or you could just DIY in the sink.

As much as possible, you will want to keep your bag as small as possible. This not only reduces your signal as a PHOTOGRAPHER (hint tripod hint), it also makes it easier to walk through crowds. Squeezing on a crowded bus with a huge backpack is the most uncomfortable thing ever, and you do not want to be hitting people left and right of you whenever you turn around.

Always be mindful of the amount of money you have left with you, in case of emergencies. If you are bringing along your ATM card, this is not as important, but you would still want to keep within your budget. Do not overspend and end up with no way of coming home.

Lastly, do enjoy your trip! I am planning to backpack around Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand at the end of the year, but most probably not with a DSLR
    .my flickr :: .my tumblr
    D90 : Nikon 50mm f/1.8 : Nikon 105mm f/4 : Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast