Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: snap on ring for fz20

  1. #1

    Cool snap on ring for fz20

    anyone using this snap on adaptor ring for the fz20?
    http://www.nextphoto.net/FZ20.htm

    brief description:
    *******************
    FZ20 - 52mm & 55mm Thread Adaptor (Part # NP2055)

    The 55 adaptor is used to attach 52 or 55mm filters to the FZ20 lens. It snaps in place and provides a 52 & 55mm thread. The adaptor can be left on the camera when turning it off. The original Panasonic lens cap can still be used.

    For use with filters only! Do not use with accessory lenses.
    *******************
    costs USD$25. theres 2 adaptors, above is for 52mm & 55mm, another for 58mm & 52mm...

    there's a forum on dpreview discussing about it here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11262590

    one of the possible issues is that the adaptor seems to be mounted on the extension of the internal lens barrel itself, whereas the original adaptor is on the external barrel. correct me if i'm wrong as i dont have a fz20...yet...

  2. #2

    Default

    I would very much like to get it, but quite expensive. Inclusive of shipping would come to about 50 Singapore dollars.

  3. #3

    Default

    Yes, and you still have to fork out more money to buy a good quality filter. This product not available in S'pore?

  4. #4

    Cool

    not too sure....stumbled upon while looking around in dpreview.
    maybe if there's enough interest, a few ppl can share the cost of shipping?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by codling
    not too sure....stumbled upon while looking around in dpreview.
    maybe if there's enough interest, a few ppl can share the cost of shipping?
    It is cheaper to get single step up ring instead of those which are quite costly. Anyway those are for filters only. So IMHO, just get an adapter like the end thread is 52mm for e.g and stick on buying 52mm filters. If you find another filter which is not 52mm, then get another step up ring.

    Cos a single step up ring like 49mm to 52mm for e.g, the Ebay Us sells for USD3-5 before shipped. S&H maybe cost only another USD5 the most in my opinion. Cos this is just a small light item after all.

    Do check out the ebay before buying from these stores.

  6. #6

    Cool

    make sense...anyway...there's alot of "heated" discussions from dpreview regarding this product...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by codling
    make sense...anyway...there's alot of "heated" discussions from dpreview regarding this product...
    I was quite new a few weeks back about all the fitting of filters and lenses until I read up on them an dfind out how they work. For e.g, if you have a UV filter which is adviceabe to be left it on most of the time, the only thing which is more essential is the out thread of the UV filter whether another filter can be added on to it. But to basic at least for me, I will concentrate on 52mm sized filters and lenses cos I got an adapter for 52mm lenses and filter.

    True that the product you mentioned is quite versetile but again the question is what sized filters are you using or are you gonna buy? If that product is spoilled, you have to fork out the same amount of $ to get one in order to adapt both your 52mm & 55mm or 52mm & 58mm for e.g. But if you use just one size step up ring(say 52mm or 72mm), which is cheaper, you don't have to pay much if it is spoilled and if you get a new one all you filters can be used again.

  8. #8

    Default

    very nice. mod.
    anyone cosidering to get one of this?

  9. #9

    Default

    IMHO, I think the main advantage of this snap-on ring is that it is very compact - it can be left on the camera together with the filter and the original camera cap can still be used on the camera, protecting the filter. There is very little addition to the overall dimensions of the camera so that it still can be fitted into the original case. It is ideal for people who just want a UV filter to protect the lens from dust and scratches and but not so much for people who wants to use add-on lenses most of the time. I am interested in the 58mm/52mm one. Any want willing to take orders?

  10. #10

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by spiderman
    I was quite new a few weeks back about all the fitting of filters and lenses until I read up on them an dfind out how they work. For e.g, if you have a UV filter which is adviceabe to be left it on most of the time, the only thing which is more essential is the out thread of the UV filter whether another filter can be added on to it. But to basic at least for me, I will concentrate on 52mm sized filters and lenses cos I got an adapter for 52mm lenses and filter.

    True that the product you mentioned is quite versetile but again the question is what sized filters are you using or are you gonna buy? If that product is spoilled, you have to fork out the same amount of $ to get one in order to adapt both your 52mm & 55mm or 52mm & 58mm for e.g. But if you use just one size step up ring(say 52mm or 72mm), which is cheaper, you don't have to pay much if it is spoilled and if you get a new one all you filters can be used again.
    agreed that if you get filters, should be stackable, so you can still leave the uv guard or cpl on top of each other while using another filter.
    but i guess if u wanna take macro and use a +4 or a +10 even, i dont think the adaptor would hold up the weight....

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koolkat
    IMHO, I think the main advantage of this snap-on ring is that it is very compact - it can be left on the camera together with the filter and the original camera cap can still be used on the camera, protecting the filter. There is very little addition to the overall dimensions of the camera so that it still can be fitted into the original case. It is ideal for people who just want a UV filter to protect the lens from dust and scratches and but not so much for people who wants to use add-on lenses most of the time. I am interested in the 58mm/52mm one. Any want willing to take orders?
    would definitely consider this but then again....i need a fz20 first...
    saving up for a xmas buy...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by codling
    agreed that if you get filters, should be stackable, so you can still leave the uv guard or cpl on top of each other while using another filter.
    but i guess if u wanna take macro and use a +4 or a +10 even, i dont think the adaptor would hold up the weight....
    I have a set of +1,+2,+4 & +10 macros lens and they are not so heavy. But if stack all together, the magnifying factor is +17 but the working distance might be very close. Anyway just add on one or two filters is not a problem.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •