Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Kids nowadays.

Default Re: Kids nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    thats why must pick and choose organization also what. cannot anyhow intern with some tom dick and harry
    An intern, obviously have not graduate Yet. Company only needs to pay $500-800.
    An fresh graduate. Company will pay a thousand ++ to two ++.

Both are obviously new to the working industry and will be doing the same thing.. see that?
    Last edited by TWmilkteaTW; 31st January 2012 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413 View Post
    Cannot calculate that way. Going for internship is no different from attending a full-day course; you still need to take 3 meals per day and make your way to your class/ company. Also interns has very minimal contribution to a company; companies lose nothing if they take in zero interns... In fact we lose on resources and opportunity costs as it takes time and effort to train interns.

Not to sound like anti-internship but seriously internship should be treated as an opportunity to be involved in an actual company... Be a part of it and open your eyes for the world coming next, instead of a mean to earn quick bucks during study life.
    i wont say quick bucks.. But more reasonable and balanced amount. Interns also do work and get things done. No?

eg. I make coffee as an intern. i get $500. You also make coffee as an graduate. You get $2.2k..dont quite make sense. Unless you're doing something that really need additional skills and experiences..

Its just way below and making use of intern to do the job. Not to mention..it has stay stagnant for quite sometime already. (Food and transport have increase price already..) So if you ask me how much is enough. i say at least $800.

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    i wont say quick bucks.. But more reasonable and balanced amount. Interns also do work and get things done. No?
    Yes they get things done, but not everything can be assigned to interns. Interns usually have very limited access to a company's resources and most of the time they have to check with seniors as they need to pick up industry knowledge, technical skill set etc. Do interns get things done? Yes, but at a much slower pace and they need lots of guidance.

Fresh graduates get more because they are working adults with proper qualifications. They are under probation for the first few months as well. Employers treat fresh grads the same as other job applicants out there. Interns are like babies; they need a lot of guidance and supervision in order to perform assigned tasks. Like I said, a company does not lose anything if they choose not to accept interns.

Say in an IT firm, a network engineer's charge out rate is $200 per hour. Assuming a full-day job of 8 hours, that will be $1.6k for my company for a day's work. An intern, being paid $800 per month, and takes up 2 hours of my engineer's time per day... that is $400 loss in opportunity cost (per day) for me, and that translate to $1.2k loss in opportunity cost per month. On top of the $800 paid to the intern, getting in an intern the company lose $2k.

From an employer's perspective it really benefits little to the company to get in interns. To interns out there, do think from the employer's perspective and understand the true objective of an internship... high pay/ low pay/ no pay is really nothing much to discuss about.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

I felt sorry for TS experience.

One thing I would like to share here since its about intern.

Currently I have 5 interns, 1 under my supervision. Their pay (if i remember correctly) is about $450. As a film maker, we choose to let our interns to explore their creativity by letting them to do all the necessary work that needs to be done at the initial stage. Then we will polish the flaws and generate ideas together. That's one of many reasons why my company choose to hire intern because their minds are not polluted.

I gotta say, it's all down to their interest and attitube. Thankfully, they are good (as long as we close one eye). Afterall, they are still a student. (but they don't complain about pay)

Bottom line, i guess with a little bit of luck and judgement during interview you should be able to see some tell tale sign of the student weather they are up to the job or not.

OR it's just luck that these few good apples landed here.

Can we leave the banking sector internship aside? That's different from poly, art sectors internships. Before I grad, I applied to HSBC and Goldman Sach internships. Sure, they pay their interns big bucks and they even paid for my train ticket to London for an interview. That's cos they can afford it and they spend time looking for the creme de la creme. You don't sit in the office to comb your hair, dig your teeth... You work long hours and you learn. People who want to get in is cos of the long term prospects.

For a photography internship, he should count himself lucky that he get paid $500! His master has to spend time teaching him and maybe wipe his backside if he do something wrong. In some trades, people are begging the master to let them work foc!

When I switched industry, I was offered a salary of $2k! I took the paycut cos I had no experience in that industry. However it paid off as my pay increased a little eventually and I was headhunted with a big fat pay, freedom to disappear when i'm not needed to sign documents or meet clients. I have since left the job as it was at the expense of my health. Bottom line is I learn alot and my network expanded.

What determines success? I say qualifications, luck, hard work only contribute 1%. Success is 99% on attitude! If I'm needed to wash the toilets or eat humble pie just to learn a trade and be successful, I'll do it! But I won't sleep with the boss/clients or carry balls! Academic qualifications can use to wipe kacengs!

To that kid who interned for the TS, I can only say "Si gin nar!"
    Last edited by cowmera; 1st February 2012 at 01:30 AM.
    I'm a cow with a camera

for photography internship .. seriously is not about the $$
    few yrs back i assisted for $5/hr just becos i want to see, hear, observe and ask
    i think all these are so valuable to me

eg. I make coffee as an intern. i get $500. You also make coffee as an graduate. You get $2.2k..dont quite make sense. Unless you're doing something that really need additional skills and experiences..

Its just way below and making use of intern to do the job. Not to mention..it has stay stagnant for quite sometime already. (Food and transport have increase price already..) So if you ask me how much is enough. i say at least $800.
    Simply put , the graduate has already "sucked it up" and went through the made coffee for SGD 500 stage in his life .
    He paid his dues . Have you ?

Blog Entries

An intern, obviously have not graduate Yet. Company only needs to pay $500-800.
    An fresh graduate. Company will pay a thousand ++ to two ++.

Both are obviously new to the working industry and will be doing the same thing.. see that?
    a person can choose to intern with a company, well known for good internship practices, real opportunities to learn and get paid that amt.

my point was that pick a good company that u can learn from, not one that makes u do saikang and unwilling to teach. i'm fine taking a low allowance for a job that i can learn from and gain valuable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart

a person can choose to intern with a company, well known for good internship practices, real opportunities to learn and get paid that amt.

my point was that pick a good company that u can learn from, not one that makes u do saikang and unwilling to teach. i'm fine taking a low allowance for a job that i can learn from and gain valuable experience.
    It's good that you are willing to learn and earn peanuts. However in this realistic world, it's the company that chooses the intern, not vice versa. I was deemed not creamy enough so i didn't get my bank internship. Interns usually do saikang cos they are like what yrh0413 mentioned, babies, new and need to be nannied. They want to feel important by being given their own desk, own computer? Ok lor, use the computer to do data entry work then. Some MNCs don't even give the interns a permanent staff pass as they won't be there for long. Yes, there are some companies who throw all kinds of sai for poly interns to do cos firstly they don't know what tasks to give the interns and they know the poly students need to stick through the internship or else they can't grad.

My point is so what if you do saikang? It's actually also a test of your attitude. If the employers like you and the sai you engineered/mold out, you'll give them a good enough impression to either offer you a grad job or a referral. Sushi apprentices don't learn how to make sushi on day 1, not even year 1.
    Last edited by cowmera; 1st February 2012 at 09:37 AM.
    I'm a cow with a camera

Did a double take when reading sai and sushi in the same para...
    -------------------------------
    Endure. In enduring grow strong.

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Intern's objectives is to master the art of photocopying and making coffee.

Also how to tabao lunch for 15 people from as many separate stalls within 20 minutes.
    wah. I wish it was true. btw, I never see colleagues have to make coffee for another one in my whole working life, except the secretary of the VP or CEO. lol.

Blog Entries

mattlock, he obviously sought you out for an internship because of your creative reputation ...... can i suggest you do this ?

Tell this idiot that he is NOT to list down in his CV that he interned with you ...... this spineless not-hungry-enough-going-to-end-up-a-nobody wannabe could STILL list down IN his CV that he had interned with you (conveniently leaving out the fact that it was for a mere 2-3 days)

I can imagine this clown in future going around waving his CV saying "I've interned with Jing!!! " ..... and misleading prospective employers
    Last edited by ed9119; 1st February 2012 at 12:59 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by Zichar
    Did a double take when reading sai and sushi in the same para...
    Sorry! Hope you are not eating your breakfast while reading it.
    I'm a cow with a camera

Quote Originally Posted by cowmera

Sorry! Hope you are not eating your breakfast while reading it.
    Sai no Sushi? Sounds yummy.

Jokes aside.. I got only 650 a month for my poly attachment. But you pay peanuts, i work peanuts too. But i got a lot of BS from my supervisor because she saw me as a threat

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post

"...I have more than enough reasons to quit. Firstly being that the distance, which is too far and coupled with the timing, I don't even have time for myself after work each day. I know it's just the 2nd day in the office, but I know I won't be able to take it on a long-term basis. Secondly, it's just not my type of job. Also, I'd like to be honest here. The pay is just too little. After deducting the Sundays and Saturdays' half days, I work for 198 hours each month. In other words, I am earning $2.50 per hour. Taking $4 each for lunch and dinner, $2 for breakfast and $0.45x4 for transportation, I would be left with $10.70 each day. But even if you give me a pay rise, not having time for myself is enough to keep me off. On top of that, I have to spend time with my family and mygirlfriend too.....
    If the intern is talking just about dollars and cents and 9 to 5 time frame the job may not be attractive to him.

That should not be the only reason for joining Mattlock.

But it's not our job to explain that to the young man if he can't see it for himself.

Well people come and go, I'm sure Mattlok will get someone more dedicated and deserving. Let's not give up hope on the young Singaporeans.

Maybe that kid thought working for mattlock can rumba with model everyday.

End up he only can rumba with lightstand.

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Maybe that kid thought working for mattlock can rumba with model everyday.

End up he only can rumba with lightstand.
    Maybe he think working with Mattlock he'll have many seafood to eat:

http://www.featureshoot.com/wp-conte...ing_quek_1.jpg

All I can say is that it's sad that people in Singapore, even kids, are so calculative.

I was on an advertising job in Jakarta recently, and I asked to see the cost breakdown of the crew list
    I had to check my calculator a few times when I saw that the assistant I hired, who has his own photo studio, 3 children, a wife, and is only 23 years old, cost me a grand total of SGD$20.
    I don't know how much the company takes of that amount.
    But this guy was happy and energetic and even showed me his portfolio of works and videos that he did out of passion for himself.

When I meet someone like that who can be a great addition to my team, I may pay them $20 today but I may consider importing him in and paying him a higher salary than a local graduate here.

As someone who had to lug his own equipment around, who had to consider carefully before even taking a cab to shoot with lots of equipment, just to do my own photography,
    I think Singapore is in trouble with alot of youths coming out thinking just about money, with shite attitudes.
    There are so many hungrier,hungrier people in the whole of asia who will eat our lunches.

Think the intern had the misguided notion he will be training straight to be a photographer when in reality he is starting from the bottom, assisting the assistant(s). As the photographer, I cannot imagine having an intern assist me with lighting while my real assistant is off sweeping the floor or making deliveries, it's unrealistic. I think many people assume assisting or interning at a photography studio is mostly fun with a bit of hard work. But no, it can be boring and monotonous because they will be doing a lot of behind the scenes work without much credit. That is where they will sink or swim. If they make no effort in doing the simplest things then why should my assistant or me bother to teach more, paying $500 per month to have the intern do housekeeping is a lot of money. Having someone do that is good as it frees up our time, but without interns doesn't make our life difficult/impossible too. They have to make themselves indispensable to earn the photographer's trust before any teaching will truly begin, majority of times is to open your eyes and ears to observe how things are done. Frankly interns can be lazy, but just don't ever break anything.

Anyway, even if the guy does include mattlock in his resume, any studio seriously considering solely because of that just needs to call mattlock up for his opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    Anyway, even if the guy does include mattlock in his resume, any studio seriously considering solely because of that just needs to call mattlock up for his opinion.
    thats a given

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast