Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why Your Camera Does Not Matter

The camera only matters when YOU think it matters.

You need 100 posts to get that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1223
    I just go out (often with just one or two lenses) and look for subjects that I can shoot well with what I have.
    I agree with you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1223
    I guess the problem is some people think they should have everything for every situation in order to enjoy photography. Enjoyment should come from the "finding and developing of your style" and the "desire to create strong images".
    I disagee with your 'guessing'. The problem is majority of us (including me) will BLAME our equipment first if we don't get the nice shot/stronge image. Then we'll go get the next 'better' lens/camera to try 'solve' the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    I agree with you here.

I disagee with your 'guessing'. The problem is majority of us (including me) will BLAME our equipment first if we don't get the nice shot/stronge image. Then we'll go get the next 'better' lens/camera to try 'solve' the problem.
    Haha, so to remedy that, just buy the best of everything so that you can blame yourself for the bad pic!

Just a joke, don't take this seriously...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak
    Haha, so to remedy that, just buy the best of everything so that you can blame yourself for the bad pic!

Quote Originally Posted by LimCB
    I could care less what Ken thinks. His photos suck anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak

That's why I just use two lenses. So I won't blame myself.

on second thoughts, maybe the camera does matter, from a psychological viewpoint. having a nicer camera makes you feel good about yourself, and may even increase your confidence in photography. when you feel good and confident, it's easier to take better photographs. even if your photography does not improve, you can still derive much pleasure from handling, admiring (and being admired) your wonderful camera.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by student
    On the issue of English. Perhaps I might suggest a simpler title than the one you gave here.

How about "MINDLESS UPGRADING OF EQUIPMENT DO NOT NECESSARILY PRODUCE BETTER IMAGES".

Even the courts have decided that simple prose can often make for clearer meaning.

salah leh....

should be "MINDLESS UPGRADING OF EQUIPMENT DOES NOT NECESSARILY PRODUCE BETTER IMAGES".

and this new proposed title doesn't cover the aspect of the camera brand thingy. and a rangefinder is a rangefinder, and a SLR is a SLR, and a medium format is a medium format, and not necessarily be considered upgrading from one to another.

similarly a wide angle lens is a wide angle lens, a telephoto lens is a telephoto lens, and not necessarily be considered upgrades.

lets all scratch our collective arses trying to think of a more anal retentive title which accurately reflects what should be the correct one, while i go and take more photos which are by nature, lacking the concept of right or wrong.

On another thread someone asked about "quotes". The issue of context is so important!

Context! Context! Read the post and interprete in CONTEXT!

I am out of this thread.
    I do

salah again leh.

should be interpret

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    on second thoughts, maybe the camera does matter, from a psychological viewpoint. having a nicer camera makes you feel good about yourself, and may even increase your confidence in photography. when you feel good and confident, it's easier to take better photographs. even if your photography does not improve, you can still derive much pleasure from handling, admiring (and being admired) your wonderful camera.
    yeah this i agree. to each his own. some draw confidence from lugging around great equipments (believe me man, i've read in some thread it DOES) while the others may not. to me, this 'Why Your Camera Does Not Matter' thingy ... is better left undiscussed

Smile

Hi renegade,
    I notice you have changed your Avatar.... Enchanted.
    I like that photo
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    Actually, it is quite true since you brought up this pt. For shoots which are paid, the client would expect something with regards to hardware. Would anyone hire you for say $500 for a 5hrs event if you are relatively unknown and with no so good hardware? I only have a D70 and sometimes I have to try very hard to steer clients to view my portfolio first before declaring my equipment. Or how about trying to shoot a wedding as main with entry level $300 lenses?

Or say your body fails in the middle of a shoot, you whip out a top-of-the-line P&S 7MP Canon G6, do you think you will have some serious explanation to do later on?

For passion/hobby usage, probably it won't matter as much as long as you stay within limits (which the photog can control anyway). But once you hit a threshold, for stuff like bird photography, it's either you get much better hardware to get better shots, or you spend a long period of time learning about the subjects as well as shooting very very frequently to increase your chances.....etc. And along the way, you might miss some great shots which otherwise you'd have gotten with better hardware. I don't think many of us here can spare the time with our hectic lifestyles.

Quote Originally Posted by eudoofus
    you have a typo.

the title is "Why Your Camera Does Not Matter" and in caps.

if you want to be a Prof of English, your grammar must be tip top and zero error.

as you see from my lack of proper punctuation, I'm merely bochup user of English. and hence must be flagellated before your royal highness for me (sic) careless choice of post title.

i shall really have titled it as "why your camera does not matter, generally speaking, from the socioeconomic vantage point of endless (figuratively speaking, as all will end on judgement day [or equivalent, depending on religious beliefs], or scientifically speaking when the sun of our solar system has supernovaed) equipment upgrades, or the brand loyalty point of view of brand X is better than brand Y, but excluding the basic tenet that your equipment is adequate for the task at hand, with the exception that you are a miracle photographer who loves a challenge and goes into a gunfight armed with only a soup spoon(under conditions that this is figuratively speaking and not an aspersion on photographers being belligerent and seeking fights or being without their camera and only carrying a soup spoon at critical times), and referring to the general terms and conditions that nothing represented in this title shall be taken as representative of the viewpoint of clubsnap or its employees and be upheld in a court of law as a legal opinion or representation."

however, it seems to have spilled over the title field...

so I was going to use the title "Penis Envy", but was considering the female viewers of this forum.

Student didn't say he was a Prof of English. He wasn't pointing out grammar mistakes in the title per se, but the title and it's essence wrt photography.

Get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    I agree with you here.

Same like don't know how to swim blame the swimming trunks too big lo...

I think this thread have snow ball in to a Chicken and Egg issue. All of us will agree it is the photographer's creative mind that create the art in the photos, but this art to become fine work of art or the bear possiblies of creating this work of art hugely depending on the tools the photographer use. Which is not only the camera but other high end and low end stuff. So it is the photographer who decide how creative he can be and use the right tools to do that. Provided if he or she has tools.

Student didn't say he was a Prof of English. He wasn't pointing out grammar mistakes in the title per se, but the title and it's essence wrt photography.

Get a life.

well, he or she did throw out references to, and I quote:
    scientific articles published in reputed international journals both in US and Britain!
    Fair game, I say. Trying to put down people here and acting all high and mighty. I would tend to give such high brow anal retentives a taste of their own medicine. You can get a life if you disagree. I have none. Photography has consumed me, turned me into a shrivelled shadow of my former self, like Golem obsessed with the One Ring. Mwuahahaha....

Get a life.
    CB.... dont like that lah...CB... so unfriendly...
    web | blog | fb | ig

Quote Originally Posted by eudoofus
    well, he or she did throw out references to, and I quote:

Fair game, I say. Trying to put down people here and acting all high and mighty. I would tend to give such high brow anal retentives a taste of their own medicine. You can get a life if you disagree. I have none. Photography has consumed me, turned me into a shrivelled shadow of my former self, like Golem obsessed with the One Ring. Mwuahahaha....
    What student claimed were facts and he laid out his points wrt the topic logically. What you did was childish and not addressing the title. You'd better be consumed course you ain't making sense anyway.

What student claimed were facts and he laid out his points wrt the topic logically. What you did was childish and not addressing the title. You'd better be consumed course you ain't making sense anyway.

okay, so i should get some scientific thesis published in some reputable journals in the 1st world countries before i am qualified to post here.

right.

so actually the moral is, ignore those who rant a lot, cos they have a gang of similarly minded ranters rooting behind them.

the post starter asked a simple question. pointed to two articles by two different photographers.

you have taken the opportunity to slime one of them. i myself do not know Mr Rockwell, neither do i know you. but i think it's hasty to sweep everything he has done with a derogatory statement. to summarise a man's work with a simple word. "his photos suck"
    how qualified are you to make that statement? i would say very qualified, as you are expressing your opinion. if you're stating that "his photos suck compared to mine, CB Lim's" then perhaps we should take a look to judge for ourselves, and wonder why we've never heard of CB Lim except in army lingo.

Why not spend more time shooting than wasting time discussing what someone else thinks about the importance of gears? In the field, do you really give a hoot what I use? I could care less what Ken thinks. His photos suck anyway.
    i think it's telling what comments you have given, and what you are trying to take issue with my posts, which were done tongue in cheek. if you don't get the humour, don't shoot the clown. and one last thing, if you want to call someone childish, make sure you are mature enough not to generalise someone's work with a "it sucks" description. that is like the pot calling the kettle black.

As usual, you don't make sense. I'm glad Student had stopped posting because it's really a waste of time, now that I see it.

ciao.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast