Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why Your Camera Does Not Matter

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    ken rockwell review is all his biased opinion one la. nobody in the right mind will believe him 100%
    do you know of any 100% unbiased reviews? TIA for sharing.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Now I know what 'Student' have issue on. The title

my version of the title "why your camera does not matter if you are shooting for yourself (hobby) and not depending on it to gain fame/fortune."

IMHO, the right tool for the right job. don't quote extreme examples with extreme choice of camera... eg. disposable camera for shooting wildlife etc.

Just enjoy shooting what you like. Get a camera you like to use often, not what others like....

No one will see as you do, so show us your pictures. (sharing the joy with others...)

Or just shoot without showing others your pictures (personal enjoyment...)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    Now I know what 'Student' have issue on. The title

my version of the title "why your camera does not matter if you are shooting for yourself (hobby) and not depending on it to gain fame/fortune."

IMHO, the right tool for the right job. don't quote extreme examples with extreme choice of camera... eg. disposable camera for shooting wildlife etc.

Just enjoy shooting what you like. Get a camera you like to use often, not what others like....

No one will see as you do, so show us your pictures. (sharing the joy with others...)

Or just shoot without showing others your pictures (personal enjoyment...)
    i think student will still take issue with your version of the title.

[QUOTE=Snowcrash]

IMHO, the right tool for the right job. (/QUOTE]

Precisely!

And I like the quote you attributed to Galen. I have never met him, but had signed up for his workshops. Unfortunately he died in a plane crash before the workshop begun.

Last month I visited his gallery in Bishop while visiting and photographing Death Valley and Owen's Valley.

Not intending to push my point, but here is a person who chose the right equipment for the right job. Not for him the best prime Nikon lens and the most advance Nikons for those time he had to climb the mountains for his shots (he did carry quite a heavy load when situations are reasonable). A light outfit is obviously necessary for climbing.

His prints are beautiful, taken on 35mm Kodakrome (spelling?). But these lacked in finesse when compared to those images made by Bruce Barnbaum, who while still very fit at >60 years old, and have the agility to climb steep slopes, is not a mountaineer. Bruce uses a 4x5 Technika and the details of his prints will simply blow Galen's away. But Galen pictures are so unique because they were taken in places where Bruce could not go. But as quoted, Galen simply had to live within the limits of his equipment, to work within the limits of what he camera was designed for. So his pictures have those special impact, but do lack a certain degree of finesse and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    i think student will still take issue with your version of the title.
    No I will not take issue with the title. I may disagree, but I will not take issue. The rest of Snowcrash writings showed what he meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    agreed. to which i would add... "....., not what others say you SHOULD be shooting with".

what works best for you *automatically* becomes the "right" camera.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    After all, I had scientific articles published in reputed international journals both in US and Britain! As well as in published books!
    wow!
    web | blog | fb | ig

I have no time and little tolerance for frivolity.
    why reply then...
    web | blog | fb | ig

Quote Originally Posted by EiRiK
    why reply then...
    I did not think people here are writing for frivolity sake! Perhaps I was wrong and give people too much credit! I was hoping to inject alternative viewpoints that are based on logic and reasons. I was hoping that people here are at least mature enough to share and agree or disagree, after listening to others with some degree of respect. Something that I try to do. But was I wrong?

Are you frivolous? If so, I will need to look out for your posts in future and avoid your posts like the plague!

Are you frivolous? If so, I will need to look out for your posts in future and avoid your posts like the plague!
    I'm , so U can avoid mine.

Quote Originally Posted by L-MoLe
    I'm , so U can avoid mine.
    Thank you. I will make note.

gee guys, don't ruin a marvellous debate on an otherwise boring & (might i add) oh-no!!!-not-this-again subject by going OT. If we're done debating on the thread, let's just leave it as it is, yah? (At least 'till the next fella brings this up again... )

Do you guys like this pic?

D2H, 500/4.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=104730

do a search on your posts... u are always saying the same "i was wrong about people here... i was hoping that people here... " when people disagree with your viewpoints....

Perhaps I was wrong and give people too much credit!
    see what i mean...

I did not think people here are
    oops... 1 more time...

and agree or disagree, after listening to others with some degree of respect.
    respect? ha...
    Last edited by EiRiK; 6th December 2004 at 06:32 PM.
    web | blog | fb | ig

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Do you guys like this pic?

D2H, 500/4.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=104730
    thats an amazing shot...
    web | blog | fb | ig

Quote Originally Posted by EiRiK
    do a search on your posts... u are always saying the same "i was wrong about people here... i was hoping that people here... " when people disagree with your viewpoints....

see what i mean...

oops... 1 more time...

respect? ha...
    On another thread someone asked about "quotes". The issue of context is so important!

Context! Context! Read the post and interprete in CONTEXT!

I am out of this thread.
    I do

I am out of this thread.
    I do
    phew!
    web | blog | fb | ig

Smile Now, from the beginning

Quote Originally Posted by eudoofus
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

http://www.thelightandtheland.com/pa.../thoughts.html

anyone else agrees?

sick of brand X is for pros, brand Y is for amateur etc talk.
    Now that the, "you said, I said" and name calling is over, can we continue with a sensible discussion
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

http://www.thelightandtheland.com/pa.../thoughts.html

I agree with what was said in the above essay by Bruce Percy. Although I would like to own super teles so I could try my hand at bird or sports photography, not having one does not stop me from enjoying photography. I just go out (often with just one or two lenses) and look for subjects that I can shoot well with what I have.

I guess the problem is some people think they should have everything for every situation in order to enjoy photography. Enjoyment should come from the "finding and developing of your style" and the "desire to create strong images".
    Last edited by Ben1223; 6th December 2004 at 10:53 PM.

Why not spend more time shooting than wasting time discussing what someone else thinks about the importance of gears? In the field, do you really give a hoot what I use? I could care less what Ken thinks. His photos suck anyway.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast