Thread: How to tell a lens has been dropped

Default How to tell a lens has been dropped

If the len has been dropped on the group, the sound of the USM will be a little bit noisy when you half press the shutter.

This is just my personal experience. I dun know whether it will apply to other lens.

Default Re: How to tell a lens has been dropped

Quote Originally Posted by doverdover View Post
    If the len has been dropped on the group, the sound of the USM will be a little bit noisy when you half press the shutter.

This is just my personal experience. I dun know whether it will apply to other lens.
    Also depends on VR. If you have an IS/VR lens, you'll get that noise too.
    Alpha

group? group of what?
    There are lots of variables. If it is dropped from a height of 0.5m onto a pillow, chances are everything will be ok.
    If it is dropped from second storey onto a concrete floor, it will be pretty obvious
    Exploring! :)

I drop my lens onto the wooden planks before... nothing happen to it... work like normal, sound normal, nothing at all. I drop my 50mm f1.8 (even when it was said to be a toy lens) on a fairly hard ground at around 0.5 to 0.3m height... the lens survive and nothing happen to its AF motor too. So... yeah... it also depend on luck.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

group=ground. typo error. I dropped my lens together with my 5d2....from my seat to the ground on a bus....5d2 is ok. but len got noisy sound after that....

group=ground. typo error. I dropped my lens together with my 5d2....from my seat to the ground on a bus....5d2 is ok. but len got noisy sound after that....
    Well... u might be unlucky or depend on how the lens was being drop, distance and if anyone kicked it or something like that. Even my 'toylike' 50mm f1.8 survive a drop onto a fairly hard ground not one but a couple of times... (no AF issue, no need to recalibrate, no cracks, maybe some scratches here and there, no parts loosening, nothing at all)... but heard someone from another forum bumb his nifty fifty on the door of his car, and the lens came apart. So... yeah...
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

And now? Bring to CSC for a check-up. If this is supposed to be a self-diagnosis guideline .. well... still a long way to finish.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    And now? Bring to CSC for a check-up. If this is supposed to be a self-diagnosis guideline .. well... still a long way to finish.
    now I am still using it........it works fine. just the noise...much louder than it used to be.

so many senior members replied my post. thanks!