Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: What is the real definition of SLR?

  1. #1

    Default What is the real definition of SLR?

    What is the real definition of SLR?

    Carried on from http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=103787

    To understand something, always understand the history.

    There was once when some cameras need 2 lenses, one for viewing, the other one for capturing the image. This type of camera has a non-movable mirror inside. It is called a Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) camera.

    Then came this person called Technology. He managed to use only one lens, the same lens to view & capture the image, by moving the mirror. This allows you to capture what you see through the lens (TTL). Thus, came the name "Single Lens Reflex (SLR)", because it uses only one lens, and has a mirror.

    However, Technology was not satisfied, he decided to invent digital cameras. He created many different types, some with optical viewfinders, some with electronic viewfinders. Some allows you to change lens, some do not.

    So now what is an SLR? Technology messed it up, didn't he?

    Basically, an SLR should have only a single lens. Normal P&S cameras use an additional lens for the viewfinder, remember that... It also needs a mirror, else it's not called reflex already. It can only be called a TTL camera. The mirror need not be movable.

    So is the Minolta 7Hi an SLR?
    No. It has a single lens. However, it does not have a mirror. Thus it can only be called a TTL camera. not a SLR. However, some people like to call it an "SLR-like" camera. Ahhh... It's LIKE an SLR, but not one.


  2. #2
    Member Knighthunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alpie
    I ask you the same question. Definition of SLR has nothing to do with mirror mechanism. I should ask you where you got that idea.

    According to KODAK and many others know it better than you:
    SLR = Single Lens Reflex
    SLR cameras use the same lens to view and take a picture. So the viewfinder and the film/ccd/cmos use the same lens. There are many cameras out there with fixed lenses bu they are SINGLE LENS reflex or reflect (as you say). Whether you use mirror or some other mechanism to transmit the view to the viewfinder is a technical matter.
    Here is dictionary definition of SLR:

    sin·gle-lens reflex
    adj. Abbr. SLR
    Of or designating a form of reflex camera in which the reflecting mirror retracts when the shutter is released.

    If you still feel know better than dictionary please let me know.
    W204FL

  3. #3
    Member Knighthunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    What is the real definition of SLR?

    Carried on from http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=103787

    To understand something, always understand the history.

    There was once when some cameras need 2 lenses, one for viewing, the other one for capturing the image. This type of camera has a non-movable mirror inside. It is called a Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) camera.

    Then came this person called Technology. He managed to use only one lens, the same lens to view & capture the image, by moving the mirror. This allows you to capture what you see through the lens (TTL). Thus, came the name "Single Lens Reflex (SLR)", because it uses only one lens, and has a mirror.

    However, Technology was not satisfied, he decided to invent digital cameras. He created many different types, some with optical viewfinders, some with electronic viewfinders. Some allows you to change lens, some do not.

    So now what is an SLR? Technology messed it up, didn't he?

    Basically, an SLR should have only a single lens. Normal P&S cameras use an additional lens for the viewfinder, remember that... It also needs a mirror, else it's not called reflex already. It can only be called a TTL camera. The mirror need not be movable.

    So is the Minolta 7Hi an SLR?
    No. It has a single lens. However, it does not have a mirror. Thus it can only be called a TTL camera. not a SLR. However, some people like to call it an "SLR-like" camera. Ahhh... It's LIKE an SLR, but not one.

    W204FL

  4. #4

    Default

    Not to forget the new E300

    The newest quirky side swinging SLR!

  5. #5
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    171

    Default

    I recall there is an EOS RT. It has a semi-transparent mirror. The mirror is fixed and will not move. It is single lens but not reflex.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    What is the real definition of SLR?

    Carried on from http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=103787


    So is the Minolta 7Hi an SLR?
    No. It has a single lens. However, it does not have a mirror. Thus it can only be called a TTL camera. not a SLR. However, some people like to call it an "SLR-like" camera. Ahhh... It's LIKE an SLR, but not one.

    for you to be patient enough to explain.

    I'm only give him advice to check out what SLR means.

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    so long there's a loud KA-CHAK! when i trigger off, yeah, that's a SLR to me.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jjch_sg
    I recall there is an EOS RT. It has a semi-transparent mirror. The mirror is fixed and will not move. It is single lens but not reflex.
    My explanation states that the mirror need not be movable. Last sentence in last 2nd paragraph.

    reflex means reflection, not the movement of the mirror, nor the way your leg moves when U hit the specific point near your knee.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    for a DSLR with a fixed lens.... oly e10/20.

  10. #10

    Default

    From what I know, the Olympus IS series, E10/E20 can be called ZLRs or Zoom Lens Reflex, since they are not a true SLR. They could also be called bridge cameras, a term from Olympus that meant a combination of SLR and compact camera. By this defination, Minolta 7/7i/7Hi/A1/A2, Canon Powershot Pro 1 could be called a ZLR or bridge camera.
    Last edited by CY_OH; 1st December 2004 at 06:37 PM.

  11. #11

    Default

    Need to add on something to make the picture more complete...

    The term "SLR" was coined long before the digital age. During then, an SLR is anything that uses only ONE lens, and has a mirror to reflect the image to the OPTICAL viewfinder.

    Our Mr Techno then invented the electronic viewfinder (EVF). Now, there is no need for the mirror already. So why is it called an SLR? Coz you still can look through the EVF, and what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG). So why they still name it SLR? It has got to do with the status associated with the term SLR.

    Everyone knows that an SLR camera looks more pro than a normal P&S. Thus the term "SLR" is associated with a "better than the average" camera. Ahh... Now you know how manufacturers try to boost their sales?

    Imagine you name the camera "SLE". People will be wondering what is that? Never hear before, dare not try. SLE == Single Lens Electronic.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CY_OH
    From what I know, the Olympus IS series, E10/E20 can be called ZLRs or Zoom Lens Reflex, since they are not a true SLR. They could also be called bridge cameras, a term from Olympus that meant a combination of SLR and compact camera. By this defination, Minolta 7/7i/7Hi/A1/A2, Canon Powershot Pro 1 could be called a ZLR or bridge camera.
    here we go again....

    anyway want to read up on e10?

    steve digicam review on e10

    I thought someone had explained about Reflex?

  13. #13
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    woodlands baby!
    Posts
    281

    Default

    check out my signature man!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Imagine you name the camera "SLE". People will be wondering what is that? Never hear before, dare not try. SLE == Single Lens Electronic.[/B][/COLOR]
    heard before. it's Seletar Expressway right?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default

    Try this,
    Acronymfinder

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •