Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uv filter or not?

Default uv filter or not?

would uv filter affect image quality? thinking buy uv filter for lens, but will image quality degraded with it? anybody compared? thanks.

Default Re: uv filter or not?

Quote Originally Posted by nuanbinger View Post
    would uv filter affect image quality? thinking buy uv filter for lens, but will image quality degraded with it? anybody compared? thanks.
    buy B+W brand.
    Other than that, I'd rather to take it off during the shooting and put it back afterward for protection.

get a trusted brand of UV filter....

but what is your purpose of UV filter? to protect the lens? even consider using a hood?

I use B+W for both my Ls. My 12-24 no option for front UV filter.

I second B+W as it actually enhances the pic very slightly in terms of colour saturation. Image quality is still very gd!
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Yes. Image degradation should be minimal so long its a multi-coated filter. Take it as a form of insurance against the elements (or clumsy hands).
    |EOS, Fuji X and Leica M Systems | Need more good pictures to justify gear | www.ef2pt8.com |

I use B&W filters too. The really good ones cost well in excess of $100. I would advise to stay away from inferior filters as they likely degrade IQ.... unless your intention is to use them for protection only and while taking photos, take the filter off.
    Last edited by raydio; 31st January 2012 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raydio View Post
    I use B&W filters too. The really good ones cost well in excess of $100. I would advise to stay away from inferior filters as they likely degrade IQ.... unless your intention is to use them for protection only and while picture taking, have the filter off.
    Usually those with larger diameters from 72mm costs over $100.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Can look at maxsaver.net .. Sometime have discount on certain filter. Do take note price listed is in USD. Or under mass sale if u can't wait.
    I normally only get Hoya or B+W filter. Very Min I will get Hoya HMC filter. If budget allow will get higher end like the Hoya HD or B+W nano.

to be fair.

Hoya HD, Hoya Pro1 Digital, Hoya HMC filters are as good.

just avoid cheapo Tokina.

Yeah, I slap on B+W uv filters on my lenses from day one.

The test results in the following website may interest you all:

UV filters test - Description of the results and summary - Lenstip.com

Did some research on the right filter to buy for my lenses when I first got into photography and came across that site. That's why I got Hoya HMC filters for my lenses. Cheap and good if you ask me. As for the cleaning issues that people have reported, I am happy to report that I have no problem with cleaning the filters at all. I think so long as you use lens tissue and microfibre cloth and don't use tissue paper, T-shirts, etc., you shouldn't get any scratches. For me, I only use microfibre lens cleaning cloth to wipe my filters after blowing them clean with a rocket-blower. So far so good.
    Nikon & Leica

Just to add on - the true worth of the B+W filter (to me) is the ease of cleaning smudges etc. Its a nightmare to clean the Hoya's.

But having said that more often than not I go for Hoya's - worst come to worst just buy a new filter when the old one gets too dirty.
    |EOS, Fuji X and Leica M Systems | Need more good pictures to justify gear | www.ef2pt8.com |

For more info..you could try the search function or search on goggle.
    Yes it would affect..get the best filter you can afford to at least minimize the effect.

Use Hoya hmc, hd and b+w uv filter. I love Hoya hd series. Hmc is good but it not easy to clean as compare to hd. B+W is good, I have no complain of it too.

I had cheapo uv filter before, under flare situtation it just cannot make it...

Hoya makes the best UV. B+W makes the best CPLs.

It will not really degrade your pic IQ... not much anyway... but from personal experience... NEVER get those freakingly cheap ones... they are cheap for a reason...

I just throw away one whole load of them because I find that the filter seemed to turned 'oily' and that is when it really affect my pic quality... But frankly, I don't see the need for UV filter, modern sensor unlike the film in the past, are not as affected by UV rays... so the only thing it do is added protection to your lens, which I find, lens hood would do the same or a better job.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

welcome to Clubsnap,

Newbie Guide to Filters

Hope this help.

your question is not Canon specific, thread moved.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

i guess kenko/hoya etc are good enough and wont degrade quality much (at all?) but seems like B+W has a lot of brand trust, and ive been using a clear protective B+W filter on my lens and have been very satisfied. pricey but worth it. as they say, no use buying a top lens and slapping a cheap piece of glass in front of it
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    to be fair.

Hoya HD, Hoya Pro1 Digital, Hoya HMC filters are as good.

just avoid cheapo Tokina.
    +1

I am using Kenko Zeta which is almost identical to Hoya HD. And they are going for $60 for 77mm. And IMHO they perform just as well, if not better than B+W MRC
    Last edited by daredevil123; 2nd February 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heshanj View Post
    i guess kenko/hoya etc are good enough and wont degrade quality much (at all?) but seems like B+W has a lot of brand trust, and ive been using a clear protective B+W filter on my lens and have been very satisfied. pricey but worth it. as they say, no use buying a top lens and slapping a cheap piece of glass in front of it
    The words "made in Germany" seems to get a lot of mileage in our beautiful country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast