Thread: Closeup +3 +4 filters did not work!

Default Closeup +3 +4 filters did not work!

Hi guys,

a newbie here having trouble with the above. I was not allowed to try the filters at the store (2nd fl peninsular) so bopian....buy first then went back to try and it did not work on my Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO Macro Super II. It just was not able to focus.

Should I put the close up filter on the lens and then followed by UV guard or UV guard first followed by close up filter and then the lens. Tried both ways but still could not focused.

Assistance/tips will be appreciated!
    Last edited by tokunaga; 1st December 2004 at 01:13 AM.

Hmmm.. from what I know is never put 2 filters together UNnecessary... can cause vignetting(is this how it's spelled?).. Oh ya I also use this lens. Don't forget to switch to Macro mode at >200mm

when using closeup filter , u have to use manual focusing. Auto focus cannot work

my advise is don't stack both closeup filter. will cause vignetting.

best is to get macro lens

Quote Originally Posted by tokunaga
    Hi guys,

a newbie here having trouble with the above. I was not allowed to try the filters at the store (2nd fl peninsular) so bopian....buy first then went back to try and it did not work on my Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO Macro Super II. It just was not able to focus.

Should I put the close up filter on the lens and then followed by UV guard or UV guard first followed by close up filter and then the lens. Tried both ways but still could not focused.

Assistance/tips will be appreciated!
    forget abt UV filter. If you want to use closeup +4 filter, remove the UV filter (since it only uses for protection). Using closeup +4 filter, you only have limited focusing distance (abt 1 feet distance from lens) due to shallow DOF. Work best if you zoom in longer focal length like 300mm.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by skyflash

Test focusing on a ruler or something. It should work with auto-focus -- and I am using Sigma 70-300 with Nikon 5T/6T.
    Sorry to crash in. When you do this, are you zoomed in at 300?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the Sigma lens, but my genral experienc with close-up lenses is simply this:

They will bring you in closer, but the focus range is limited.

Once you'r out of the rang, the lens wil hunt and hunt endlssly and never focus.

Set it to manual, set it to the minimum focusing distance the simply move in and out from your subject to find a focal point. Then use the zoom to adjust the size of the subject in your viewfinder...easier than fooling around with distance, unless your subject matter doesn't allow you to.

Taking off any other filters is good advice, but not always necessary.

I have stacked a CU lens on other stuff with no problems, but if you don't like doing it, don't.

Thanks for the tips guys, tried it yesterday at Botanical Gradens and it seems to work. Initially, didn't know that it shortens the focusing distance but now I do. Gotta get really close to the subject to focus properly. One other thing which sounds rather strange is that when I tried to focus using the 200-300mm range, the focus is alright but the image in the viewfinder seems to be cloudy ...... so for the most of yesterday's shooting, I was using it at 135mm.

BTW, is there a way to fit my close up filter which is 58mm to my other two lenses which are 52mm and 62mm using some adapters? If possible, how much do such accessories cost? Thanks for the info!

Cheers!

Yes, step-up and step-down rings. Plus side? Cheap and handy. Let's you use one item on different lenss. Generally costs about $10 a piece MAX so don't get conned.

Down side? Can be fidly. Some rings seem to get stuck more easily. Answer: always have a bit of tape (you should have at any rate) with you. Other down side? Usind smallr filters/accessoris on larger diametre lenses MAY cause some vigntting.

Most important point: Be willing to experiment and find out what works for you...and HAVE FUN!

Thanks Feinwerkbau and the rest of the CS guys who cleared my doubts! Seems like I've gotta make a trip to purchase the step-up and step-down rings.

Cheers!

say i want a close up filter for my nikkor 50mm f1.8D... any recommendations? should i get a +3 or +4?

Which diopter (+factor) you choose depends on how much closer you need to get to the subject.

There's a formula for calculating it but I don't have it off-hand. Do a sarch and I'm sur you will find it.

Contrary to popular belief/practises, I usually get a set of +1 and +2. That way, I can stack and get a total of: +1, +2 AND +3.

If you find a need to get much closer, then get a +1 and a +3 or +4. The +1 will give you lots of breathing space, and the othres will bring you in closer.

Go here:

http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/diopter.html

There's a detailed chart of focusing distances and subjct sizes all neatly calculated for you!

The articles are also informative!

Cheers!