Thread: inconsistent focus on my 30mm 1.4

Default inconsistent focus on my 30mm 1.4

Hi All,

I have recently acquired a Sigma 30mm 1.4 and was less than satisfied with its performance.

I face some issues with its inconsistent auto focus accuracy. At near MFD (i.e. 50cm), the focus was spot on. At range more than 3M, it back-focus by quite abit, resulting in OOF images. However, when using Live view, the focus was spot on.

Thus, I would like to consult fellow CSers on whether its a body issue or lens problem. I did some research but cannot draw a conclusion.

Thank you everyone.

Default Re: inconsistent focus on my 30mm 1.4

Send it to the service centre for calibration

Take the same object with the same distance on tripod & handheld. If on tripod can spot on then it due to ur shaky hands.

Quote Originally Posted by SamTac View Post
    Take the same object with the same distance on tripod & handheld. If on tripod can spot on then it due to ur shaky hands.
    I did a test on multiple objects in very good lighting conditions, all of them shows similar result. I doubt its due to to shaky hands.

I'll do a more comprehensive test when I'm free. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanTinTin View Post
    I did a test on multiple objects in very good lighting conditions, all of them shows similar result. I doubt its due to to shaky hands.

Cheers.
    If in doubt... always bring your lens to the service center to do a test. They have the equipment readily available and if your lens is covered by warranty, you should get calibration free anyway.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanTinTin

Cheers.
    For f1.4, a little shake make a diff. Learnt it from sigma service center.

Quote Originally Posted by SamTac View Post
    For f1.4, a little shake make a diff. Learnt it from sigma service center.
    I am consistently getting the same result. And when I'm about 4M from my subject, I need to -10 micro adjust on my KR to get a in focus picture. at closer range, AF was spot on. Guess Sigma Svc Ctr is my only choice.

Thank you everyone for your inputs.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanTinTin View Post
    I am consistently getting the same result. And when I'm about 4M from my subject, I need to -10 micro adjust on my KR to get a in focus picture. at closer range, AF was spot on. Guess Sigma Svc Ctr is my only choice.

Thank you everyone for your inputs.

Cheers
    It's normal. I took a few days to do some intensive tests with my micro adjustment before reaching -7 and from then on its been awesome

Quote Originally Posted by hawthorne907 View Post
    It's normal. I took a few days to do some intensive tests with my micro adjustment before reaching -7 and from then on its been awesome
    Hahaha.. but I got a more serious problem. when my subject is close, the focus is spot on.. when it's further away, I need a -10.

I can only use this as a headshot lens at the moment. haha. Otherwise, liveview can overcome the above problem too.

It is not uncommon for this model to focus well at some distances while making a mess of it at others.