Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question; What is the use of dry box :)

Default Question; What is the use of dry box :)

Hello everyone, I know this is lame question, I wanna ask, I was recommended by this uncle a dry box, what is the purpose, can I know, thanks a million.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shukrisuef
    Hello everyone, I know this is lame question, I wanna ask, I was recommended by this uncle a dry box, what is the purpose, can I know, thanks a million.
    To prevent fungus.
    Lousy de My Flickr

Default re: Question; What is the use of dry box :)

a dry cabinet or a dry box is a cabinet which has a controlled humidity environment inside. necessary in high-humidity countries like singapore. fungus tends to grow on ur equipment, when not used in long periods of time, in high humidity environment.. storing ur gear in a dry cabinet, which maintains a low, controlled humidity inside, will prevent this. i highly recommend u get one, its a good investment. and definitely protects ur gear. its not necessary if ur shooting often, but im sure everyone goes thru periods when it'll be just lying there for a couple of weeks. best to get one
    Last edited by heshanj; 29th January 2012 at 04:34 PM.
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

Get a dry cabinet, works on AC power, low consumption, hassle free.
    EOS

Here's another good read to read on: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/other...-cabinets.html

Happy Reading
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Get one. Do some research on the normal price range of one. Understand what it is for, as it protects your gear. In Singapore you'd do best to get one.
    Canon 600D / EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM / EF 50 f1.8 II

Default Re: Question; What is the use of dry box :)

original thread title "Question " not specific.

Thread title edited.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

The name says it all really.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Well... in environment like singapore which had very high humidity, it is recommended to get a dry box or dry cabinet (the latter uses electricity). The main purpose is to control the humidity in the environment where you keep your camera and lenses. This is mainly to prevent fungus that would grow and damage your lenses and camera (most notably on the front, rear or any optical elements in your lens, and also in your camera sensor).

However it is also not recommended for you to keep your camera in too dry a place for fear that it will damage any rubber part in your camera, such as the grip of your camera, focusing ring of your lens, etc etc.

Well, for a starter a dry box is enough, but it is very troublesome, because it runs on the silica gel (you can get them from camera stores, challengers and courts) and you need to always check to see if the silica gel had turned orange or not... that is an indicator to see if you need to replace them silica gel. For dry cabinet which runs on electricity is more straight forward... no need to check, just ensure that the meter runs somewhere between 50-55% humidity and that is enough.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123
    Well... in environment like singapore which had very high humidity, it is recommended to get a dry box or dry cabinet (the latter uses electricity). The main purpose is to control the humidity in the environment where you keep your camera and lenses. This is mainly to prevent fungus that would grow and damage your lenses and camera (most notably on the front, rear or any optical elements in your lens, and also in your camera sensor).

However it is also not recommended for you to keep your camera in too dry a place for fear that it will damage any rubber part in your camera, such as the grip of your camera, focusing ring of your lens, etc etc.

Well, for a starter a dry box is enough, but it is very troublesome, because it runs on the silica gel (you can get them from camera stores, challengers and courts) and you need to always check to see if the silica gel had turned orange or not... that is an indicator to see if you need to replace them silica gel. For dry cabinet which runs on electricity is more straight forward... no need to check, just ensure that the meter runs somewhere between 50-55% humidity and that is enough.
    Thanks

Thanks to all for the reply, now I know, appreciate it so much, god bless

i brought this recently

kinda big as i only have 1 body and 2 small lens
    i can put in my computer stuff such as HDD

How much you bought this bro.

wish i bought this size when i started out. good call, buying this size.. u never know when ur gonna get new gear. my dry cab is 100% full with dslr+lens, slr+lens and rangefinder+lens... plus another compact. haha. time to upgrade my cabinet
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

Haha nice, now I know, how. Expensive is it to have a camera as a hobby haha.

I made my own dry box. Air tight box from supermarket, plus rubber mat from provision shop, plus re-heatable silica gel bag and humidity gage from DIY Store. Done!

Quote Originally Posted by albertsy2
    I made my own dry box. Air tight box from supermarket, plus rubber mat from provision shop, plus re-heatable silica gel bag and humidity gage from DIY Store. Done!
    Haha. I had a similar solution when I started out, except that I used "Thirsty Hippo"!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by albertsy2 View Post
    newbies dont try this at home lol. a simple dry cab is easily within your budget
    Canon 600D / EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM / EF 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by Shukrisuef View Post
    How much you bought this bro.
    250$+

there is a smaller version less than 200$ de 40L i think

Ohh, okay, I bought this simple dry box at challenger for 30. Bucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast