Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon S90 @ high ISO prforms the same as the Leica M9

Default Re: Canon S90 @ high ISO prforms the same as the Leica M9

Ken Rockwell basically earns a living through people who click-through his website and visit the camera store's website and buy products. what else could he be doing other than try to get people to buy that particular camera?

UncleFai i think you misunderstand some of the posts..

UncleFai click "Submit" now! BBB! :P
    Learn Learn Learn | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Netbaby
    UncleFai click "Submit" now! BBB! :P
    Sigh... If I really got the liow to click "Submit", don't need to cry father, cry mother here lah. But I expect all these issues to go away, after this Friday. HUAT AH!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Sigh... If I really got the liow to click "Submit", don't need to cry father, cry mother here lah. But I expect all these issues to go away, after this Friday. HUAT AH!
    Uncle Fai, as your long time friend and colleague, can I T-loan your M9? I always have this fixation with big sensor in a small body, and big pieces of glass.
    Stuff I'm reasonably proud of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctky1973/

He said that the S90 at high ISO outperforms the M9.
    UncleFai,

After you HUAT, you should still buy the S90 instead because I found that the S90 can autofocus faster than the M9. In fact all the M9 I tried have faulty autofocus. Furthermore the M9 has no image stabilization. How shoot handheld?
    I hear the S95 is even better than the S90.

Haha I really enjoyed reading this thread! Just oozing sarcasm man! Uncle Fai this Friday I also wanna huat to buy the M9!!! Huat ah!!!!!
    Nikon & Leica

Even my Nikon Coolpix S570 can autofocus better than an M9! Piece of expensive junk!

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    UncleFai,

After you HUAT, you should still buy the S90 instead because I found that the S90 can autofocus faster than the M9. In fact all the M9 I tried have faulty autofocus. Furthermore the M9 has no image stabilization. How shoot handheld?
    I hear the S95 is even better than the S90.

Leica have some of the sharpest lens around but their cameras sucks, without even mentioning digital. They are but ex showpieces for the well heeled imo. Anyone can tell by just looking at a picture & say for certain its been taken by Leica vs a Nikon, Canon or any other brand? If no one mention, I did think that the picture was taken by any digicam compacts. Canon S90, 95 & 100 are really excellent cameras & it is not only KR who is of that opinion...
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 1st February 2012 at 10:24 PM.

I serious man. This is what Ken wrote:

First, the LEICA M9 doesn't have a real Leica shutter. Instead of the soft, quiet, slow horizontal cloth shutter of real LEICAs, the LEICA M9 has a noisy, multi-bladed vertical metal contrivance that looks like it came out of a Voigtländer. It potentially generates more sharpness-robbing vibration.Most importantly, the LEICA M9 shares the same defective, notchy shutter-button design as the LEICA M7. Instead of having the silky-smooth continuous trigger-pull of better LEICAs, the LEICA M9 instead has notches, or jerks, inserted into what is supposed to be a smooth shutter release. The shutter button of the M9 requires overcoming a couple of progressively stronger detents, and this leads to blurrier images.Specifically, I have to shoot at a shutter setting of twice the lens' focal length to get perfectly sharp shots, versus about half the lens' focal length with traditional LEICAs.

Double the shutter speed, no IS, lousier high ISO performance, M9 is just for connoisseurs and poseurs.

Come on guys. Leica M9 is a Rangefinder, rather than a DSLR or compact camera. You also should not compare a Mamiya medium format camera to S95.

S95 can autofocus faster than Leica M9?? Come on, there is NO autofocus for Leica M9. How to compare? Why don't you say S95 cannot change lenses while Leica M9 can mount many beautiful classic lenses? It's not apple to apple comparison.

If your hand is steady, you don't need IS at all. If you can't hold a Leica M9 steady, then you can forget holding a much heavier DSLR system like D700 + 24-70mm or D3s + 70-200mm VRII lens steadily.

You should experience the shooting with a Rangefinder. If you can't get used to it, forget it and continue to use your DSLR or compact camera with autofocus. The existence of Leica M9 has a reason but it's not for everyone.
    Last edited by kentwong81; 1st February 2012 at 10:45 PM.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Leica have some of the sharpest lens around but their cameras sucks, without even mentioning digital. They are but ex showpieces for the well heeled imo. Anyone can tell by just looking at a picture & say for certain its been taken by Leica vs a Nikon, Canon or any other brand? If no one mention, I did think that the picture was taken by any digicam compacts. Canon S90, 95 & 100 are really excellent cameras & it is not only KR who is of that opinion...
    I'm not sure why you said Leica camera sucks but having a full frame sensor in such a small body and light weight has only be achieved by Leica so far.

Yes, given any picture, we can't easily tell whether it is taken by a Leica M9, DSLR, m43 system or compact camera, especially if the picture has gone through some editings in Photoshop. However, we don't choose a camera system because we want to show that the pictures are taken by this specific camera system, but rather the shooting experience provided by the camera system that make us enjoy and achieve our photography goals.

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Yes, given any picture, we can't easily tell whether it is taken by a Leica M9, DSLR, m43 .....
    I must confess, after I HUAT like UncleFai, I sure will go buy a Leica plus 0.95 Noct. All my camera buddies already go Leica while I still dabbling with Japanese cams. Blur noisy pictures never mind, I look cool can already. Also I will bring my S95 if I really need to get the shot.

Leica pictures surely can tell, they have the Leica "Glow" mah.

Ken Rockwell also says that the M9 is the world's "Best Digital Camera" and "The LEICA M9 is the smallest, lightest, highest-quality digital camera ever created by the hand of Man." if we don't believe Ken, who can we believe?

Of course, Ken is the best reviewer in the world. And he talks about REAL Leicas!

I must confess, after I HUAT like UncleFai, I sure will go buy a Leica plus 0.95 Noct. All my camera buddies already go Leica while I still dabbling with Japanese cams. Blur noisy pictures never mind, I look cool can already. Also I will bring my S95 if I really need to get the shot.

Ken Rockwell also says that the M9 is the world's "Best Digital Camera" and "The LEICA M9 is the smallest, lightest, highest-quality digital camera ever created by the hand of Man." if we don't believe Ken, who can we believe?

Let's not be sarcastic or negative here.
    As mentioned earlier, Leica M9 is a rangefinder which gives us different shooting experience than a DSLR and compact camera with autofocus. Hence, before investing in a Leica system, you have to prepare yourself for the differences and new learning curve.
    I got a Leica M9 because I hate carrying my bulky and heavy Nikon D700+lens for leisure use(hanging out with family, friends, oversea trip, etc) and street photography. I want a small size and light weight camera with a full frame sensor that can mount different lenses. I don't mind if there is no autofocus because I like manual focusing.
    When I first bought the Leica M9, the first few photos taken were also blur and noisy. However, after studying the camera and practicing the focusing for a while, I'm able to get sharp image at wide open at low ISO under low night condition. It just needs some time to learn and get used to it. If not, you would easily give up and sell it in the B&S section.

Blog Entries

lolzzz !!!! someone just sms'ed me ..... "No point wasting breath on pesants"
    Last edited by ed9119; 2nd February 2012 at 01:27 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    "No point wasting breath on pesants"
    What a cool comment! Once I own the M9 I will be "atas-class" and also be able to pass such comments. My Leica friends tell me buy Leica can haolien. Anyway I must patiently wait for HUAT to come.

What a cool comment! Once I own the M9 I will be "atas-class" and also be able to pass such comments. My Leica friends tell me buy Leica can haolien. Anyway I must patiently wait for HUAT to come.
    As offensive as it might sound, there is some grain of truth in the SMS. If a person has never used an M9 before (like me), he/she will never be able to appreciate or understand it.

I feel much the same way when I see people criticizing the quirks in the Fuji X100. There's quite a bit of a learning curve, and yes some parts of the camera are really stupid (what's up with the auto-ISO being separate from the ISO selection? Why have an EVF that doesn't actually show what the final image will look like? Why is changing the AF zone a two-handed operation? And that command lever is next to useless. Don't even get me started on that Fuji-made case.), but it takes breathtaking images. The OVF is brilliant too, with its range-finder like views.

It's a joy to shoot with the X100, and the quirks don't normally interfere with daily operation. I guess the M9 is like that too. Quirky in some ways, but an absolute joy to use. But you'd never know that unless you have one.
    Last edited by pbear1973; 2nd February 2012 at 08:55 AM.

Now I'm really confuse, this thread seems like it's not a Leica versus non-Leica user debate. Rather a Internet users versus KRW ranting. Haha

Anyway, if I have the chance I would log to experience clicking the shutter of a Leica.......
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye
    Anyway, if I have the chance I would log to experience clicking the shutter of a Leica.......
    Dream on, peasant!

Dream on, peasant!
    Uncle Fai, just sell off your cameras and all the lenses, a kidney and one eye can liao.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast