Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: selling camera and lense to shop

  1. #1

    Default selling camera and lense to shop

    how much do you people think i can get if i were to sell my SLR to for eg, camera workshop in penisular?

    moving on to DSLR soon, so abit impatient to wait for buyers for my camera n lense

    they are eos30+bp300 and 28-105 f4/5.6 lense
    very new condition though

  2. #2
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    u probably won't be able to get the $500+ u're looking for. guess mebbe abt in the region bet $200+ to $300+? u might have better chances here in CS.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  3. #3
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Short question, why not keep the 28-105? I'm pretty sure it's a good len given it's range and price.

    The EOS30 and BP might be good to keep if you need to shoot black white/slides next time

    Just a suggestions!

  4. #4

    Default

    but i want to sell them to fund for my DSLR leh
    hehehe

    i was wondering if my asking price is too much?
    $550?

    i bought them for 740+140+325 leh
    camera bp300 lense

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    u probably won't be able to get the $500+ u're looking for. guess mebbe abt in the region bet $200+ to $300+? u might have better chances here in CS.
    hahaha ..... may not even within the region of $200+ to $300+ ..... they will most probably ask you to put there on consignment and when someone bought the camera at your requested price, then they will get a cut out of it.

    They will not pay you outright for a camera as it is hard to sell film cameras nowadays ......

    If you sell at CS, you may be able to get your body for $300 - $400 (if you include the battery pack), but you would not get anything near this price if you want to sell it at any shop .... they still have to earn and basically they will have to charge another 70 - 100% of the cost price to cover their overhead, go figure how much will they offer you

  6. #6
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    hahaha ..... may not even within the region of $200+ to $300+ ..... they will most probably ask you to put there on consignment and when someone bought the camera at your requested price, then they will get a cut out of it.

    They will not pay you outright for a camera as it is hard to sell film cameras nowadays ......

    If you sell at CS, you may be able to get your body for $300 - $400 (if you include the battery pack), but you would not get anything near this price if you want to sell it at any shop .... they still have to earn and basically they will have to charge another 70 - 100% of the cost price to cover their overhead, go figure how much will they offer you
    oh yeah. forget dat. yup! it goes for even prime and P&G (at adelphi). they won't buy things from u outright anymore. eg. i wanted to sell an old 28-90mm kit lens 3-4 mths back at P&G. they offer me $100, on consignment. but, i saw they mark it up to $280. ie - if they sell (siao... who would want to buy a plastic kit lens at $280??), they pocket $180, and i get $100.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  7. #7

    Default

    anyway im thinking of getting the nikon D70 real soon

    may i know where can i get it ?

    and at what price cheapest i can get it for? budled with kit lense and 1gb cf

  8. #8
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    isn't the market practice to only markup 20% of the seller's asking price? It would be sharp business practice to mark up by more than 100% of the selling price. Not only does the shop pocket such a huge margin (which is ok business wise), but the main point is that the shop is either:

    a. if $100 is way below, it would be forcing the buyer to contend with a low selling price of $100; or
    b. if $100 is so-so, then the shop will hurt the seller's chances of a successful sale by marking the price so high.

    tsk tsk.

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    oh yeah. forget dat. yup! it goes for even prime and P&G (at adelphi). they won't buy things from u outright anymore. eg. i wanted to sell an old 28-90mm kit lens 3-4 mths back at P&G. they offer me $100, on consignment. but, i saw they mark it up to $280. ie - if they sell (siao... who would want to buy a plastic kit lens at $280??), they pocket $180, and i get $100.

  9. #9
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydesg
    anyway im thinking of getting the nikon D70 real soon

    may i know where can i get it ?

    and at what price cheapest i can get it for? budled with kit lense and 1gb cf
    go to the nikon thread. i think they are starting another MO on D70.

    vince123123 - i watched the guy stick the price sticker on the lens. which was why i decided to get the lens back and sell it myself. in the end, i sold it off for $80, i think.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    isn't the market practice to only markup 20% of the seller's asking price? It would be sharp business practice to mark up by more than 100% of the selling price. Not only does the shop pocket such a huge margin (which is ok business wise), but the main point is that the shop is either:

    a. if $100 is way below, it would be forcing the buyer to contend with a low selling price of $100; or
    b. if $100 is so-so, then the shop will hurt the seller's chances of a successful sale by marking the price so high.

    tsk tsk.
    Whoever give you the idea of that market practice? As far as I know they often markup 100%, or else it would be very difficult for them to make ends meet. Take for example, when they do say $30,000 sale (about 1.2k per day, which is not possible) and they only make a profit of $6,000. Minusing rental at about $4,000 and minusing utilities bills of say $500 per month, they will effectively have a turnover of $1500? which hardly pay for their own expenses.

    However, if they do the same $30,000 sale per mth and make a profit of $15,000, minusing rental + utilites of $4500, then they still have $11,000 to rollover .......

    But frankly speaking, not a lot of secondhand shops makes a $1.2k sale per day.

  11. #11

    Default

    sell here better

  12. #12

    Lightbulb

    be patient. your patience will be rewarded. CS is a good place to consider. No costs involved.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    You'll have to bring down the asking price for your products on the CS marketplace to make them more attractive. The film SLR has probably lost favour with the slow of DSLRs being released, and your lens is a fairly low-demand lens. Just for comparison, the USM version of your 28-105mm lens is selling for just a little more than what you are asking for your F/4-5.6, and it has an aperture range of F/3.5-4.5.

    You'll lose more selling them through the shops anyway.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •