Thread: Cannot make up my mind.

Default Cannot make up my mind.

Went around looking at Digicams today. In the end had a spinning head instead of getting a camera.
    Actually had my mind set upon the canon A95 but after reaching the shops i strayed away from wat i wanted.
    Maybe i do a brief intro of myself here. I am a newbie and know nuts abt photography. Now i am thinking of getting a resonable digicam to take pics regarding work and also outdoor pics. But my main aim is to take pics of my aquarium and fishes. Went around today and seems that i still have hell a lot to learn before i can embark to buy my first digicam of my life.
    After reading reviews on the internet, i still think i will stick to the canon A95. Anyone using this cam and can give some comments? Or are there any other brands and model to recommand to me?

go to www.dpreview.com there they have a lot of reviews. sony DSC-T3 also not bad.

Thanks for the recommandation bro. I do have another question for now. How do i test the camera? I know nothing abt photography so i dun have the slightest idea to test the camera. Really feeling lost for now. But after reading the reviews i still have a soft spot for A95 leh.

one way to test the picture quality is to bring your own memory card and shoot a few sample pics at the store (if they allow) then go home and scrutinise in front of the monitor. but that is not too exact and may not be practical hehe.. for picture quality i think phil askey has done a good job of putting up decent samples on his webpage, and he also highlight issues like image size, distortion, CA, noise, etc by reading these aspects online should give u a fairly good gauge of what to expect

more importantly at the store is for u to have a feel of how the camera handles; eg things like zooming, the write speed, the menus, does the grip suit your hand, the LCD, does it swivel, the focussing, the size/weight how to set this/that, battery life, accessories, compatibility..etc

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    one way to test the picture quality is to bring your own memory card and shoot a few sample pics at the store (if they allow) then go home and scrutinise in front of the monitor. but that is not too exact and may not be practical hehe.. for picture quality i think phil askey has done a good job of putting up decent samples on his webpage, and he also highlight issues like image size, distortion, CA, noise, etc by reading these aspects online should give u a fairly good gauge of what to expect

more importantly at the store is for u to have a feel of how the camera handles; eg things like zooming, the write speed, the menus, does the grip suit your hand, the LCD, does it swivel, the focussing, the size/weight how to set this/that, battery life, accessories, compatibility..etc
    well said.
    I think for image quality, really have to research via internet.
    At the shop, u can at most test a few settings only.
    You wont be able to know for eg how well it turns out to be under low-light condition or even night scapes.

Quote Originally Posted by user111

Thanks a million for the advise. But i really don't understand some terms used here. Like noise write speed CA? Darn must go read up more first before i can understand. Anywhere which i can find info abt all these terms?

Go for A95 and start shooting. A95 has good review, able to produce good and sharp quality and has manual mode for advance techniques, and tt apply to many other cameras too. When you find A95 cannot produce to meet your requirement, tt is the time you want to upgrade
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by yugo
    Thanks a million for the advise. But i really don't understand some terms used here. Like noise write speed CA? Darn must go read up more first before i can understand. Anywhere which i can find info abt all these terms?
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/glossary/