Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: choosing a tripod

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    Hmm...I decided to hang on to my 028 / 141 because nothing else smaller/lighter is as stable...not even the 055Pro.

Now, THAT's HEEEAVIIIEE!
    yeap, 4.15kg, tripod alone.

???!!! The guy is 1.76m tall!!

I 1.72m already need to extend centre column 50% of the time.

I would rather go for the taller ones, just dont extend the last section of the telescopic leg fully lor.

Also, I find 055 better because can rest it on the floor vertically, like walking stick, while standing in the bus.

With 190, it cant reach the floor, so must shoulder sling it all the way while standing in the bus.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

what are you doing with your tripod extended in a bus?

Ayah, not extended lah. I hold the head while the legs is resting on the floor. Can use it as walking stick to support me while standing in the bus mah.

But 190 will be hanging in the air (in the bus case) because its just too short, collasp when not using, fully extend when using, at least for me lar.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

I think both the 190Pro and 055 have their pros and cons, just got down to CP tripod section and choose the one that suits your needs.

i wonder who came up with the notion of having the tripod at our height???

why can't you guys bend a little.

Aiyoh...you (tall) guys come and help me lah... Hehehe

ONLY VELLI TALL GUYS NEED APPLY HOR!

But seriously,

My humble suggestion is: best way to chck out a tripod is to stress it with your maximum intended /realistic load (DSLR, extra batt grip, 75-300 or your 300/2.8 and us the tripod at the minimum (most stable) and maximum (most unstable extensions.

After setting upi your camera, do little adjustments with the heavy load. See for yourself how easy or difficult it is to adjust. Rap any part of the tripod firmly while looking through the viewfinder to see how badly it vibrates, and more importantly, how quickly it recovers. Note: ALL tripods WILL vibrate to some extent or another, even carbon ones, except that the harmonic frequencies of the vibrations might be shorter (faster recovery).

If you haven't got your butt kicked out of the store yet, do an actual shoot with the tripod at minimum and maximum extensions with long exposure times of more than 1 second minimum (using self timer or remote release). To be fair, lock up the mirror if possible.

It is in actual use at all possible extensions that the strengths or weaknesses of a tripod will show itself. So, the only way is for you to actually test it for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    If weight is a concern, then just get the Slik DX series, like 500DX or 330DX if you don't mind the height. They are similar to CF and probably stronger and definitely not as brittle. Special Titanium, Aluminum, Magnesium alloy.

Eg, Pro 500DX is the weight of the 190 but specs of the 055 (actually a bit taller even) but the $$ of the 190.

No problem with durability. In fact from what i know there are quite a number of birders using the 500 and 700DX. If that is not a stress test, then i don't know what is.
    Hmm... is it 500 or 400DX? I got the 400DX at an unfortunate price of S$170.

But it's a good tripod. Happy with it

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau
    But seriously,

My humble suggestion is: best way to chck out a tripod is to stress it with your maximum intended /realistic load (DSLR, extra batt grip, 75-300 or your 300/2.8 and us the tripod at the minimum (most stable) and maximum (most unstable extensions.

After setting upi your camera, do little adjustments with the heavy load. See for yourself how easy or difficult it is to adjust. Rap any part of the tripod firmly while looking through the viewfinder to see how badly it vibrates, and more importantly, how quickly it recovers. Note: ALL tripods WILL vibrate to some extent or another, even carbon ones, except that the harmonic frequencies of the vibrations might be shorter (faster recovery).

If you haven't got your butt kicked out of the store yet, do an actual shoot with the tripod at minimum and maximum extensions with long exposure times of more than 1 second minimum (using self timer or remote release). To be fair, lock up the mirror if possible.

It is in actual use at all possible extensions that the strengths or weaknesses of a tripod will show itself. So, the only way is for you to actually test it for yourself.
    i agree that the above suggestion of checking out tripods is technically faultless. however, there are other non-technical considerations like, nature of your subject to be photographed, weight of tripod, portability, costs, etc. these are just as pertinent, if not more.

These are DEFINITELY pertinent, and should be considered.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of balancing all the possible compromises while considering one's needs/situations and budget.

In short, I would simply suggest getting the most stable, well-built tripod/head one can afford/carry and use comfortably in one's given photographic situations.

Quote Originally Posted by retrok
    Hmm... is it 500 or 400DX? I got the 400DX at an unfortunate price of S$170.

But it's a good tripod. Happy with it
    500DX, only $160. The price came down about 2 months ago, i got it at 175. The 400DX is similar to the 500, just that it's about 700 grams heavier coz it does not have AMT alloy and also a wee bit shorter.
    Last edited by 2100; 2nd December 2004 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    500DX, only $160. The price came down about 2 months ago, i got it at 175. The 400DX is similar to the 500, just that it's about 700 grams heavier coz it does not have AMT alloy and also a wee bit shorter.
    IC. Asked cos I only found 700, 400 and 330 at SLIK's website. Anyway, I'm pretty satisfied with it except for its weight. But that was a choice, and also, I guess I've not bought enough from CP to get a better quote.

Default ball head or 3 way head

sorry to jump onto this thread.
    it seems that people love the ball head for some reason.

i was talking to someone a few months back. he was really against the ball head tripods. he made an interesting point.

the 3 way xyz plane heads are very much more precise (especially those that are callibrated with a scale) because the user can just turn the knob to move it specifically in a direction.
    some of the uses are to photograph marco stuff OR long range opjects.
    if you have a ball head, its impossible to move the ball head so that the view in the view finder changes by a few degrees...
    (small movements at the ball head end = large movements 500 meters down at the object end)

Deregistered

ok why do i say i need a tripod my height?...because i know nuts about tripods but i heard they say its best to have a tripod your height without extending for max stability..
    and some how i feel three way is so much faster and convieint,, bam you're potrait..blam you're landscape....ball heads a little fiddly i think.
    tell me guys why you all like ball heads more?

Well, for me i know for shooting birds (there isn't much of other wildlife here in SG anyway. ), it is very important to get a tripod which is your height. At most bend a wee bit or you don't spread the legs out so much so as to gain a bit of height. Else it will kill your back with the long periods of shooting.

Lightbulb

i use a pan and tilt. most of the time, using about 50% to 70% of the max load weight. remaining load capacity as buffer.

Blog Entries

I use a tall tripod so that I will not be restricted by the equipment, if you need the view angle just that little bit taller, you have it.

I just bought a Slik Pro 330 at Cathay Photo @120
    It was intro by Christopher as I told him my budget is about 200
    Quite a good tripod
    come with 3-way head+ quick release+ soft grip
    light and stable enough for travelling !!

Quote Originally Posted by locksley
    I just bought a Slik Pro 330 at Cathay Photo @120
    It was intro by Christopher as I told him my budget is about 200

light and stable enough for travelling !!
    I am always glad that Chris is dishing out good solid advices with experiences to share and not only going for the top brands (ala top $$$).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast