Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

  1. #1

    Default Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    I had carelessly left my camera still turned on and took off the lens to change. May I know what kind of damage that could happen to the body or the lens?

    After I realised this, I tried shooting with 2 different lens, AF, IS still working fine. Picture still sharp. Camera function looks same as usual. Does this mean there was minimal damage?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    People have said that it might affect the circuitry but I doubt it. For 4 years I have been doing that and nothing happens to any of my cameras.

  3. #3
    Member robin-ang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    sengkang
    Posts
    354

    Default

    I also does not turn off my camera and change the lens to and it does not have any damage or problem..

  4. #4
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    Supposedly not too healthy for your sensor... but won't kill or damage your camera in anyway. The stories goes that if the camera is still 'On' when you remove your lens... the 'charge' CMOS sensor will attach dust from the surrounding air. But nothing a good cleaning from a blower won't solve...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canon550d
    I had carelessly left my camera still turned on and took off the lens to change. May I know what kind of damage that could happen to the body or the lens?

    After I realised this, I tried shooting with 2 different lens, AF, IS still working fine. Picture still sharp. Camera function looks same as usual. Does this mean there was minimal damage?
    I'm sure they designed the camera to do this.

    It's suicidal if they don't as there'll be tons of warranty returns.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    Your camera is not made of tofu. Believe it or not, there are actually intelligent people who design the cameras. If there was a risk of damage, they would make the camera auto-shutdown when you release the lens - common sense right?

    Worry less, shoot more.
    Alpha

  7. #7
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Well sometime I also forget to off my cam while changing lens, so far no problem also haha.

    Don't worry too much, just shoot
    Lousy de My Flickr

  8. #8

    Default

    I dun bother to switch off when i change len as i am a prome shooter. No problem at all in all these yrs ..

  9. #9

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit-Kat-Lover View Post
    I dun bother to switch off when i change len as i am a prome shooter. No problem at all in all these yrs ..
    What does shooting with primes have to do with it? Nothing.
    Alpha

  10. #10
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    Nothing will happen... I did that a couple of time on field and so far my camera is okay.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  11. #11

    Default

    Just chill man. If your camera works fine, it is working fine!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Supposedly not too healthy for your sensor... but won't kill or damage your camera in anyway. The stories goes that if the camera is still 'On' when you remove your lens... the 'charge' CMOS sensor will attach dust from the surrounding air. But nothing a good cleaning from a blower won't solve...
    Yup, that is the only story i've heard about not turning off the camera when switching lenses. Nothing much to worry about

  13. #13
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,849

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    the 'charge' CMOS sensor will attach dust from the surrounding air. But nothing a good cleaning from a blower won't solve...
    yeah, and dun do it in the wind direction cos any big hard particles flown pass then get suck in may not be good.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    Thanks for the feedbacks. Much more relieved now.
    I like your comment, Rashkae about the "tofu"

  15. #15
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    No damage, only possible increased chance of dust adhering to sensor due to electrical charge.

  16. #16
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,388

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    Even the manual which is also used for US does not state anything about switching off camera before changing lenses. And if it's not necessary in the land of lawyers and million Dollars damage claims ...
    EOS

  17. #17

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    I've actually forgotten to turn off my camera as well, when changing the lens. No problems here.

  18. #18
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    read your camera manual, if it say nothing about it, than don't worry too much about it.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  19. #19

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    Since we are on this power-off issue, may be we can cover the removal and replacement of battery and storage media as well.

    As power will be automatically turned off when battery compartment door or storage media compartment door is opened, what's your habit? Do you still off the power switch?

  20. #20
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Taking off lens while camera still turned on

    Quote Originally Posted by GRbenji View Post
    Since we are on this power-off issue, may be we can cover the removal and replacement of battery and storage media as well.

    As power will be automatically turned off when battery compartment door or storage media compartment door is opened, what's your habit? Do you still off the power switch?

    I do for both count... not sure will be be some issue... but switch off never the less...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •