Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Take Away During Buffet?

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong
    All Suntec International Convention and Exibition Centre Banquet staff are not allowed to eat/ "tar pau" / the food there. Offenders will be fired once if they were discovered by the Captains. All staffs are not allowed to consume any alcohol even if u are 18 or above.

however there are cases that the staff are being caught red-handed, and they are given a warning and some were given a suspension. however the decoy team always takes the left overs and consume them when others are not watching.

Usually the person doing the catching is the Manager, he/she will go around looking for people who are hiding in the toilets smoking or "eat snakes". But they will also go round "hunting" for pple who eat the left overs.

usually the staff who eat at the back will display a very bad image of the Company, and will give others a impression that they are "yao gui" <-- Yao Gui is Hungry ghost in hokkien.

The Captains will only allow those who work during the night shift 3pm-11pm. to only consume the left overs ONCE the guest have left the event venue, and they do not wish to leave early. And since they are dismissed at 11pm, the most they can eat will be the left overs of the desserts, and the last few courses.

But from my previous experience at Suntec, they do not provide any services to customers requesting for plastic containers. And if we were to be approached by our customers requesting for them, we will have to reject them politely and apologise that we do not have such a service. But on some events, the company will provide the plastic containers and they will remind us that if their staff were to require them, we will need to collect them at the specific location.

But since if u have paid for the buffet, by all means make your money worthwhile. Its your money, not theirs, the food that you take belongs to u too, because u have paid for it.. haha.. dun worry on how others look at you.

if you want to tar pau, carry on by all means. But if the buffet is a treat by someone and u do not need to pay, den erm.. i guess its better not to tar pau as maybe u are displaying a very bad impression of yourself.

well.. this is my 2cnts...
    This is really interesting.

Lightbulb

these info on rules and policies is more than 2cts' worth.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    This is really interesting.
    haha.. simple. my reasons was that you have paid for it wad... well thats nothing wrong la. so i personally believe that since you have paid den u should make ur money worthwhile... if not u will ... BUT it also doesnt mean that u go to Seoul Garden with a plastic container la~

i dun oppose pple tar pauing la... its all really common la.. u see this at weddings and other functions. and when i say dun worry on how others look at you, tat will depend on hw much Self-confidence u haf... lol...

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    these info on rules and policies is more than 2cts' worth.
    haha.. it is my experience with Suntec Banqueting Services.. haha....

Lightbulb

haha.. it is my experience with Suntec Banqueting Services.. haha....
    ha ha, i suspected it was an insider's job.

But since if u have paid for the buffet, by all means make your money worthwhile. Its your money, not theirs, the food that you take belongs to u too, because u have paid for it.. haha.. dun worry on how others look at you.
    Hi Glenn! I am not trying to start an arguement and have nothing against you but i have to disagree......

The money you've paid for, is only for food that you can take in your stomach and not containers. Going to a paying buffet and ta pow is a no no to me. The establishment have to earn money too and feed their staff. One should only take not more then his/her tummy can handle. If you're the owner of the restaurant, i'm sure you will not be happy to see your customers do that and eat into your profits.

But these are just my humble opinions.

Why don't eat until you burst?

I once went to a buffet high tea and saw one uncle used his own spoon to help himself with a second serving of tau suan.

I didn't touch any of the desserts after that.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Hi Glenn! I am not trying to start an arguement and have nothing against you but i have to disagree......

The money you've paid for, is only for food that you can take in your stomach and not containers. Going to a paying buffet and ta pow is a no no to me. The establishment have to earn money too and feed their staff. One should only take not more then his/her tummy can handle. If you're the owner of the restaurant, i'm sure you will not be happy to see your customers do that and eat into your profits.

But these are just my humble opinions.
    yah.. i understand... nv eat anything bigger then ur own head.. hahahaha.. ok.. i know.. thats why my previous pay is peanuts.... hahahaha...hmm.. i see pple tar pau quite often la... seriously... and erm.. i dun tar pau la... hahahahahaha.. nv had the habit to do so... cuz i find it rather pai seh..

hahahahaha.....

Quote Originally Posted by Carllim
    I once went to a buffet high tea and saw one uncle used his own spoon to help himself with a second serving of tau suan.

yah.. hmmm.. i think the most disgusting part is that i have seen a entire small ladle drop into the shark fin's soup, and the waitress, who was new, dip her hands into the bowl in front and served the soup, den apologised, guess the reaction of the customers and guess wad happened to her...

she was made to serve drinks onli... hahahahaha.... and the we had to replace a new shark fin bowl for them... lol...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Carllim

that's the one of the risks one's take at a buffet. when one's motives is i will want more and more, then one forgets that one is a human being. ugly head is raised for all to see.

yah.. i understand... nv eat anything bigger then ur own head.. hahahaha.. ok.. i know.. thats why my previous pay is peanuts.... hahahaha...hmm.. i see pple tar pau quite often la... seriously... and erm.. i dun tar pau la... hahahahahaha.. nv had the habit to do so... cuz i find it rather pai seh..

hahahahaha.....
    Your keyboard/space bar spoilt? Your previous pay is peanuts cos the F&B industry is very labour intensive. Have to employ many waiters and chefs. If one day, roborts takeover human waiters and chefs, then the profits will be higher.

yah.. hmmm.. i think the most disgusting part is that i have seen a entire small ladle drop into the shark fin's soup, and the waitress, who was new, dip her hands into the bowl in front and served the soup, den apologised, guess the reaction of the customers and guess wad happened to her...

she was made to serve drinks onli... hahahahaha.... and the we had to replace a new shark fin bowl for them... lol...
    eeeewww.....Yucks! Thats a good way to kill your appetite and lose weight! Diped her hands into the bowl........wah lao, i read only cannot take it liao. If i see it,
    Last edited by afbug; 30th November 2004 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Your keyboard/space bar spoilt? Your previous pay is peanuts cos the F&B industry is very labour intensive. Have to employ many waiters and chefs. If one day, roborts takeover human waiters and chefs, then the profits will be higher.

eeeewww.....Yucks! Thats a good way to kill your appetite and lose weight! Diped her hands into the bowl........wah lao, i read only cannot take it liao. If i see it,
    hahahahaha....my keyboard spoil la,haven get pay yet, hw to buy keyboard, nw muz buy good keyboard liao, this one the space bar cannot tahan my useage de...

robots can nv overtake human labour for this first 10yrs... haha... so we can rest assured that we will still get some nice jokes like hands dipping into shark fins for now...

Lightbulb

let's not digress. back to the issues at hand. i feel that buffets do encourage gluttony. i had organised shareholders' meetings and witnessed taa-pows almost every time.

OT, on one occasion, there was an indian man who requested for vegetarian food. so, i brought him to the coffee house and let him choose from the menu. I left him alone to consume his food. Later, i came back and signed the bill. Fortunately, he did not take advantage of my generousity.

hmmm yah.. agree.. it does encourage gluttony in one way or another, but it is one way that you can make your money worthwhile which doesnt means u can tar pow or wad la....

tar pows are very common is many places, and even at normal dinners u will still see pple asking for tar pows of things they cannot finished. so, we can see that there is still pple out there who are in the habit of tar powing and that is something we cannot change since its a habit and a very bad culture we have here in singapore.

so in short to say, we should learn to live with it, and if we do encounter them, then all we have to do is ignore and if u cant, tell yourself that they are juz "yao gui" lor... that is very simple... Kiasuism... haha.. who wants to lose out ? they are the ones who doesnt want to lose out on anything...

learn to bear with it, and its a culture we as the minority who doenst tar pow will have to compromise and learn to accept it as a way of their lives...when we compromise there will be less things to worry, and it will be a happier community~

Lightbulb

taa pows , not necessarily bad or degrading or kaisuism. can also be viewed as not wasting food. millions are hungry and starving around the world. remember the 'swiss'(cannot be sure) couple who initiated the efforts of collecting breads and buns and cakes from bakeries for charities.

taa pows , not necessarily bad or degrading or kaisuism. can also be viewed as not wasting food. millions are hungry and starving around the world. remember the 'swiss'(cannot be sure) couple who initiated the efforts of collecting breads and buns and cakes from bakeries for charities.
    yah.. agree.... we are bit OT rite ?

wait... lemme check....

yah.. we did OT !!

Quote Originally Posted by RuthBaby
    LOLZ!
    i went for a buffet last week and i saw a family bringing lunch boxes there to TAR PAU discreetly...

Have you guys tried?

Not tt i wanna try.. but i jus wan to know who are those daring wans...
    hehee.... erm.. sad 2 say.. i am not those who tar paw... lol.....if i tar paw.. i will mean going 2 the hawker centre and order take aways... but definately nt at buffets or wad la... lol

You oreali off topic long long ago liao.

Nevermind, you are not the only one.

after all, this is kopitiam. why cannot?

after all, this is kopitiam. why cannot?
    i realised that ruthbaby did not reply wad... so i was thinking maybe we did Oted too much and we didnt answer her qns wad.. so we have to respect the thread started by reply to her qns first den after wards den ot abit la.. hahahaa..

if not i think she wait for our ans like abit tooo long la.. we have been too naggy liaoz....

Quote Originally Posted by zorro18
    mannnn, i wonder how many generations it's gonna take to make Singapore a more gracious & civil society.
    hey hey,,, you beri sure that the family are locals SG pink ic holders ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast