Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 111 of 111

Thread: growing Chinese arrogance

  1. #101

    Default Re: growing Chinese arrogance

    The advert, which warned of possible social conflict, contained lines such as "Hong Kongers have had enough!" and "This city is dying, you know?".

    "Why are mainland mothers flooding in to take up resources in public hospitals, getting our benefits and social welfare?'' one of the organisers of the campaign told the South China Morning Post newspaper.

    BBC News - Hong Kong advert calls Chinese mainlanders 'locusts'

    acutally sg also got similar problem, but hong kong case is worst..
    Last edited by ninelives; 3rd February 2012 at 05:10 AM.
    Objection !!!

  2. #102

    Default Re: growing Chinese arrogance

    Quote Originally Posted by Benign View Post
    Strangely, I see the growing discontents with China this China that......but very few look back into history.

    A hundred years ago, China was at the brink of dominated by foreign powers. Unfair treaties were passed time after time..... Chinese were treated as second class people. Chinese were persecuted everywhere across the World. The world kept quiet !

    Today, through hard works and perserverance. Chinese excelled in every fields around the world. But now this has viewed as a threat

    In short, I sense nothing but FEAR.

    Being a Chinese and well travelled! This is just my two cents worth:
    Don't worry, China will not dump your (sovereign)bonds or close its market on you. We have lived through hardships and pains of almost being colonised. We are also very patient with your unhappiness. As long as you can lend us your ears.... we can talk(work) it over! That's the preferred choice I hope.

    Is it wronged we worked harder and spend less. Unlike most of this world.
    However, once China decided(open its market) to spend more..in another word, consumed more.... the world complained the cost of petrol, metals and 'bad tourists'!

    Hypocrisy?
    Yes, & have we forgotten our country was once colonised when "Britannia rules the waves", was conquered by the Japanese? The West incl Europe has exercised their power, dominance & colonised so many countries in the world from Africa, to India, to China, etc. China was literally carved out, like Hong Kong, & shared between all the foreign powers. Looking further into history, see how America came about, by British descendants killing, driving out the red indian natives, to established the US of A. Yet China, despite its size, has always minded its own business, grappling with its own internal problems behind the "bamboo curtain". Now that China has learnt & paid for its lessons in blood & humiliation, came out from its own isolation, its ascendancy in this century has indeed struck both admiration & fear, attraction & resentment in many countries. The rise of the dragon has but only started but it still has a long way to go & it may not come out the way expected if the center (of power) cannot hold. One can only try to manage the fallouts, especially for a small city state like ours. We can call this nationalistic pride as arrogance if we like, but we ourselves, when we tried but to assert ourselves for our place in this world, have been termed arrogant, & viewed with suspicion by many too, even now.

    If we look into the history of the world, in the two world wars etc, we see that all countries faces similar problems in their paths to development & identity, in their rise & fall.... China is no exception.

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    It is a small episode. It will blow over. Hong Kong is a part of China whether the Hong Kongers like it or not. They better get used to it. For China to take Hong Kong back from Britain is a matter of national sovereignty. Hong Kongers should see PRC mainlanders as their own countrymen. And not act as if Hong Kong is "different". Actually Hong Kong depends a lot on PRC. As a hinterland, as a resource for water, import of basic food stuffs and most of all for security/defense. They better wake up.

    Separately I wish that some European/Australian/American (WHITE) woman residing in Hong Kong now is aware of this incident; and then carry out a small social experiment together with her (WHITE) daughter on the MTR. For this experiment, they should dress very well, as if of a high social status and wealthy. During the trip once inside the MTR cabin, the daughter can bring out her hot dog or pasta and start eating. Purposely spill a bit of it on the floor. Monitor whether any Hong Kongers dare to comment or stop the daughter from eating. If NONE, then it says something about HK society.
    Agree on this. As to the experimental scenario, the response can be predicted...
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 3rd February 2012 at 07:46 AM.

  3. #103
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: growing Chinese arrogance

    just for discussion

    imho as long as China does not have much R&D and technology to call its own and stays a factory to the world . it has not really come of age yet .... its just rolling in $$$ and little else

    been racking my mind and trying to come up with innovation (not modifications, not adaptations ) that is truly China's ... i could not, except maybe TCM and fireworks. I've been to at least 4 rounds of the Canton Fair over the years and always on the lookout for actual original Chinese innovations .... not easy

    And then you walk around CES and look at all these new ideas, new concepts , new technology ..... its all coming from so many other countries ....

    when the world decides that this factory is too expensive or cannot be trusted to keep their copyrights and intellectual property safe... some other low-cost area of the world will take on that role .... by that time, I truly pray hard that PRC has followed in the steps of Japan and Korea or God forbid, even Taiwan (on innovations and R&D) who moved away from that mold years ago

    Thats when you get respect.
    Last edited by ed9119; 3rd February 2012 at 08:24 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  4. #104
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: growing Chinese arrogance

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    The advert, which warned of possible social conflict, contained lines such as "Hong Kongers have had enough!" and "This city is dying, you know?".

    "Why are mainland mothers flooding in to take up resources in public hospitals, getting our benefits and social welfare?'' one of the organisers of the campaign told the South China Morning Post newspaper.

    BBC News - Hong Kong advert calls Chinese mainlanders 'locusts'

    acutally sg also got similar problem, but hong kong case is worst..
    sg one improving liao...

  5. #105

    Default Re: growing Chinese arrogance

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    just for discussion

    imho as long as China does not have much R&D and technology to call its own and stays a factory to the world . it has not really come of age yet .... its just rolling in $$$ and little else

    been racking my mind and trying to come up with innovation (not modifications, not adaptations ) that is truly China's ... i could not, except maybe TCM and fireworks. I've been to at least 4 rounds of the Canton Fair over the years and always on the lookout for actual original Chinese innovations .... not easy

    And then you walk around CES and look at all these new ideas, new concepts , new technology ..... its all coming from so many other countries ....

    when the world decides that this factory is too expensive or cannot be trusted to keep their copyrights and intellectual property safe... some other low-cost area of the world will take on that role .... by that time, I truly pray hard that PRC has followed in the steps of Japan and Korea or God forbid, even Taiwan (on innovations and R&D) who moved away from that mold years ago

    Thats when you get respect.
    Hi brother

    allow me to share my humble view here.. which i think is from another perspective..

    apart from what you shared here, i think most importantly if a country practice moral and be responsible to the environment , treat its people well, contribute to the well being of all creatures on Earth, this is the greatest innovation.. i don't really care if they don't produce anything innovative.. The US keep producing weapons and destroy others, these are not innovation, to call them innovation is showing contempt to the word "innovation"

    because all these new technology, like digital camera , iphone etc.. they can't bring happiness ... they don't even last..

    i like ancient China.. Confucius (i like), Taoism (i super super super love)... TCM, Shaolin martial art, Wing Chun kungfu... the Book of Change (I Ching) and losts of profound teachings ... all these are real treasures... they keep contributing to the good of mankind... because they are very authentic, they can do so even after a million years.. unlike some technology..

    but modern China is.. sigh... they even change their characters (chinese words i mean), and now most China chinese cannot read ancient Chinese wisdom works.. and of all things this Mao go and adopt Communism, some big idea that does not work .. i don't know what to say..

  6. #106
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,929
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: growing Chinese arrogance

    i respect your view and agree too about China's past greatest acheivements that brought not just technical advancement to Man but also great thinkers and practitioners of morals ,ethics and Strategy .......

    p/s ESPECIALLY the Art of War (which modern china seems to not have followed)
    Last edited by ed9119; 3rd February 2012 at 11:08 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  7. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jurong East
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: growing Chinese arrogance

    Angry Hong Kongers hit the streets to sing "anti-locust" song to mainland tourists: Shanghaiist

    What is the difference between those HK young punks and the Beijing professor.....

    Hate can generate like that and make everything worse and worse, So sad.

    should ask them all listen to this:

    Imagine | Playing For Change - YouTube

  8. #108

    Default Re: growing Chinese arrogance

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkzeng View Post
    Angry Hong Kongers hit the streets to sing "anti-locust" song to mainland tourists: Shanghaiist

    What is the difference between those HK young punks and the Beijing professor.....

    Hate can generate like that and make everything worse and worse, So sad.

    should ask them all listen to this:

    Imagine | Playing For Change - YouTube
    agreed with you that hatred cannot be pacificed with hatred.

    but to be anal, the difference are:
    1. age - senior should be wiser
    2. qualification - professor vs young punks

    but peaceful protest is ok and sometimes needed, so that the authority make changes..

    HK govt is making changes, they will reduce the number of female outsider giving birth in HK, that cause lack of hospital space for HK ppl..

  9. #109

    Default Re: growing Chinese arrogance

    Everywhere you go there are bad and good people.

    For this idiot so-called professor to stereotype a people that way is pure racism.
    He's a racist. full stop.

  10. #110
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: growing Chinese arrogance

    Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Yet China, despite its size, has always minded its own business, grappling with its own internal problems behind the "bamboo curtain".
    You have said it yourself, China was too busy killing its own citizens to bother about killing people from other nations.

    Tens of millions dead and even more persecuted throughout China during the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution yet guy got worshipped as a national icon.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  11. #111
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: growing Chinese arrogance

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    You have said it yourself, China was too busy killing its own citizens to bother about killing people from other nations.

    Tens of millions dead and even more persecuted throughout China during the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution yet guy got worshipped as a national icon.
    don't mind me saying this. but isn't that what propaganda and a lack of education does? place GLF + CR side by side, thats what u get what...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •