Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: growing Chinese arrogance

Default Re: growing Chinese arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by chocnoodles View Post
    he come sg sure kena big time.
    Yes, he will kana the Foreign Treasure treatment from the government. PR guaranteed.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Having worked in China for 5 years, I find the general population to be good and I feel sorry for them most times because they have been abused for centuries. However, for people with some status, official or otherwise, I find them to be abusive, crass, arrogant and greedy. Look at what happened in China, government official was stabbed in attempt rape of a manicurist, government official land grab from farmers in Guangzhou, melamine in milk kills babies and children, contaminated food etc., I can keep on, listing more injustice done all in the name of greed and the exploitation of the poor. Pity the laws are not applied.

People when traveling outside of China, cutting queues, eating in places no allowed to, trying to get children in without paying MRT fares and I can continue listing all day long.

Do they need laws to control them, I am sure they do but the country simply is not imposing the laws there. Guess we have to give them another 50 years before some form of civility is being cultivated. Now they just have money but no style. You can get someone out from the village but cannot remove the 'villageness' from them.
    Chris
    5D2 / 5D3 / 16-35 2.8L II USM / 24-70 2.8L / 100 2.8L IS Macro/ 70-200 2.8L IS

Quote Originally Posted by kazuksho View Post
    he saying we singaporean no 素质 think we should smoke and throw rubbish anyhow, everywhere to make us a better person..
    Rest of the video aside, I *think* the point the professor was trying to make was that... Laws are artificial, the best way to achieve things is to internalize this.

It is easy to say, but not easy to do. The day everybody on the street *does not* throw litter not because they are scared of the $1,000 fine, but because they understand why littering is bad, and that it affects everyone else, i.e. the good action is brought about because of an internal factor and not external factor (i.e. punishment in the form of fines), that is when education has truly succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post

That said, I do have Chinese mainland friends and think that not all of them are like this, but they really are a growing trend of being irritating when they travel.
    I hope everyone remains objective when discussing such things.

I just had my reunion dinner with my family at a restaurant, buffet-style. At one of the stations, there was an old couple in front of me and my partner. They were taking a long time to pick and the queue behind them was growing. Two (clearly Singaporean) men perhaps a bit older or around my age just moved to the front of them and started picking what they wanted. When I looked at them in puzzlement as to how they could be blind to the fact that people were queuing in a organized fashion and jump the queue, one of them turned to me, caught my glance and started trying to explain himself, and ended off by saying "stare what stare". I didn't quite catch what he was saying, but I was a bit perturbed. It's Chinese New Year Eve and well, it's a joyous occasion. Does it really have to be so ugly?

There are black sheep everywhere. Was the behaviour of the fellow Singaporean there rude, crass? Yes. But that doesn't signify to me that most or a lot of Singaporeans are rude or crass. Rudeness or crassness is not a racial or origin thing; an individual always has a choice to decide what he is. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by chris0804 View Post
    Having worked in China for 5 years, I find the general population to be good and I feel sorry for them most times because they have been abused for centuries. However, for people with some status, official or otherwise, I find them to be abusive, crass, arrogant and greedy. Look at what happened in China, government official was stabbed in attempt rape of a manicurist, government official land grab from farmers in Guangzhou, melamine in milk kills babies and children, contaminated food etc., I can keep on, listing more injustice done all in the name of greed and the exploitation of the poor. Pity the laws are not applied.

People when traveling outside of China, cutting queues, eating in places no allowed to, trying to get children in without paying MRT fares and I can continue listing all day long.

Do they need laws to control them, I am sure they do but the country simply is not imposing the laws there. Guess we have to give them another 50 years before some form of civility is being cultivated. Now they just have money but no style. You can get someone out from the village but cannot remove the 'villageness' from them.
    The hope would probably be the new generation of Chinese who have gone to US and Europe for higher education. They see for themselves how liberalism, civil society and rule of law work. Hopefully when they go back to China they are able to effect the change to a certain extent.

There are an increasing number of such western educated technocrats making it to National People's Congress now.
    Last edited by Sion; 23rd January 2012 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    this is a pretty good analysis
    Some of the opinions are from Hong Kong Cantonese TV talk shows and interviews.

Hong Kong is not worried about their proficiency in Mandarin. They are more worried about their standard of English which has been sliding after the British departure.

Blog Entries

I thought it was Eric Tsang doing a cameo lolzz.... cant believe the commentator is a Beijing U prof ....

this retort is hilarious

Last edited by ed9119; 23rd January 2012 at 02:28 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

I'll put it down to misplaced nationalistic pride here ...... been there and seen it with my own eyes for many years already ...... the sad truth is that ......

....especially if there is a distinction in class and/or social status, many many PRC can and DO treat their own people (of a lower standing) with little/no respect ..........from north to south .....BUT if an Ang Moh or other foreigner were to treat a PRC in the same way .... WATCH OUT !!!

but of course there are a good number of them who treat fellow humans with respect as well

same same everywhere in ANY country
    Last edited by ed9119; 23rd January 2012 at 02:39 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Didn't find "Add to ignore list" userful before, after reading this thread, I find it useful to ignore a few CSers here.

How come Moderator can't be ignore hugh?

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    I thought it was Eric Tsang doing a cameo lolzz.... cant believe the commentator is a Beijing U prof ....

this retort is hilarious
    To be fair, Hong Kongers have looked down on mainland Chinese for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by chris0804 View Post
    However, for people with some status, official or otherwise, I find them to be abusive, crass, arrogant and greedy.
    A typical example: whenever I travel with PRC Chinese overseas... no matter how unique or beautiful is the scene in front of them, inevitably you will hear one say: "Actually, this is nothing. In China, we have even better stuff. These people just don't know about it."

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    A typical example: whenever I travel with PRC Chinese overseas... no matter how unique or beautiful is the scene in front of them, inevitably you will hear one say: "Actually, this is nothing. In China, we have even better stuff. These people just don't know about it."
    Couldn't agree more!!
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Blog Entries

the sad truth is that... when you have 1 billion people, you can damn well say anything you want... unfortunately.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I have some Singaporean friends who would do the same despite coming from a tiny dot. To be fair, China is indeed a big country with all kind of scenic views, some spectacular, just that they have not been packaged or marketed properly.

If you think about what that Beijing U prof is saying, he is not entirely wrong. There are people who kowtow to caucasians and look down on asians. We see that a lot in Singapore as well. However his delivery is crass and crude. The host also did not step in to change his tone. Calling other nationalities "dog" and generalising them as uncivil is unbecoming of a highly educated prof.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 23rd January 2012 at 05:57 PM.

Whichever country you talk about, there'll always be a minority spoiling their image. And the worse part is that people don't usually remember the good things, but never forget the bad things.

Quote Originally Posted by seezhijie
    Whichever country you talk about, there'll always be a minority spoiling their image. And the worse part is that people don't usually remember the good things, but never forget the bad things.
    With a population of 1 billion ++ even a small minority is larger than the population of some countries, unfortunately. But agree... Cannot be help... a-holes comes in all shapes and sizes, race and creed.

some of what the Professor said makes sense. however, he should not use coarse language, vulgarities and name-calling to describe the people. this makes him no better than the people he's criticizing

Ah just a pot(Prof) calling a kettle black.They cheat,fake,enslave yu name it they've done it
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

That prof is little red riding hood, coz she's a red scarf on his neck. Be careful of wolves little red!
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    要不是中央政府照顧你們香港,完蛋了
    oh no... this is so wrong!

misinformed plus ill-informed.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast