Thread: Tamron 24-135 vs Canon 28-135

Default Tamron 24-135 vs Canon 28-135

Tamron 24-135 vs Canon 28-135

I need help on this...

Anyone using one of the above lens... which one is sharper?
    I understand that Canon costed more... but izzit worth to get if for the USM and IS?

I'm thinking of covering the gap between my kit lens and my sigma 70-300mm lens... I'm thinking of using it to do events...

I used the tamron lens before. I love it as a walkabout lens. The contrast and sharpness are def better than the EF28-105. The 24mm is valuable for indoor shots...

Personally, I don't think there is a need to fill in the gap....

No one using the tamron lens?

In another thread, i oso mentioned that... i bring my camera around quite often... if there is opportunity I can go and snap snap... without carrying too much lens with me...

So thinking of using it often when i go around...
    Last edited by rayz; 28th November 2004 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leadwe
    I used the tamron lens before. I love it as a walkabout lens. The contrast and sharpness are def better than the EF28-105. The 24mm is valuable for indoor shots...

Personally, I don't think there is a need to fill in the gap....
    Hi leadwe... thks for sharing your opinion... on this lens...

Blog Entries

i had the 28-135mm b4. nice walkabout lens. i used this lens almost exclusively during the recent photo marathon. just sold it off to a colleague at work to finance another lens.

thing abt this lens is dat, unless u got a flash, its not really dat suitable for indoors/bad lighting situation due to the relatively slow f-stop. u can get ard it by bumping up ur ISO to above 400, tho u have to live with the noise. also, the IS will drain ur batts, but excessively fast. u have to remember to switch off the IS motor when not in use as it will continue to use ur batt's pwr on the motor even if u switch off ur cam.

image is sharp and nice colour renditions, but of course dun compare with L-lens lah. if u're looking for a 1-lens-rules-them-all, this is the one to get. perfect if u wanna go on a holiday and dun wish to carry ur dry cabinet with u.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by rayz

I need help on this...

I understand that Canon costed more... but izzit worth to get if for the USM and IS?

I'm thinking of covering the gap between my kit lens and my sigma 70-300mm lens... I'm thinking of using it to do events...

I recently enquired the price of the tamron. It's abt $680. The Canon 28-135 will definitely cost more than this.

I was trying to bid for the Tamron myself on CS but was outbidded. I am still on a lookou for a mid range zoom that's useful for walkabout.

My advice to you is not too look for something that will fill the gap between your kit lens and the 70-300. Just ditch the kit lens altogether and get something like the sigma 18-125. I have not used it myself but the images look good. See here. http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/1...5-56_dc_if_asp

The sigma costs abt $500 new.
    There is no life without fast cars....

Quote Originally Posted by holeinone
    I recently enquired the price of the tamron. It's abt $680. The Canon 28-135 will definitely cost more than this.

I was trying to bid for the Tamron myself on CS but was outbidded. I am still on a lookou for a mid range zoom that's useful for walkabout.

My advice to you is not too look for something that will fill the gap between your kit lens and the 70-300. Just ditch the kit lens altogether and get something like the sigma 18-125. I have not used it myself but the images look good. See here. http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/1...5-56_dc_if_asp

The sigma costs abt $500 new.
    Hi Holeinone...

Thanks for you recommendation... the pics looked good... but I wasn't sure I should get sigma again... coz of the bulit. The 70-300mm sigma lens has quite a weird way for me to turn the zooming... so I'm unsure on the sigma... I need to go and try out the 18-125mm lens first...

Thanks again...

I'm using tamron as my walkabout lens
    serving me very good
    no regret selling away my 28-105

Quote Originally Posted by locksley
    I'm using tamron as my walkabout lens
    serving me very good
    no regret selling away my 28-105
    hi locksley...

How's the pic quality and sharpness on the pics?
    Please share...

Any pics to share wif me?

thanks

get the canon efs 17-85 is lens and keep your kit lens at home.

So + your 70-300 sigma you have a very good range covered by 2 lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    get the canon efs 17-85 is lens and keep your kit lens at home.

So + your 70-300 sigma you have a very good range covered by 2 lens.
    Having a EF-S 17-85 will mean that i can buy a 2nd hand L lens...

Having a EF-S 17-85 will mean that i can buy a 2nd hand L lens...
    then get the sigma 18-125 as a walk about lor....

L lens can be heavy for some (physical weight + on the pocket)

I need help on this...

28-135 is a very good lens, and the IS really help! The only problem that I have is that the range is not wide enuff, sold it to get 17-40 and never turned back .. well miss the IS though as it help me took a lot of low light shot without tripod ...

I don't have the EF 28-135 IS, so I can't comment on that. What I can comment, though, is the Tamron 24-135 that I own.

It's a nice little package, solidly built, and the only complain others (not me) have is the stiff zoom ring. On a film SLR the colour and constrast is good enough for me, and it's pretty sharp for my standard.

However, even at 24mm it's not wide enough for a DSLR to be call wide angle. If you're looking for coverage rather than quality I think you should stick to your kit lens.

hi locksley...

How's the pic quality and sharpness on the pics?
    Please share...

Any pics to share wif me?

thanks
    I bought the lens from leadwe
    i would said it is a very good walkabout lens with the large range of zoom

Pic quality and sharpness is better than my 28-105

sorry I dun have any pic to share
    as i'm using film now ... haven't scan in my negative