Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inconsiderate photog

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    Even as a official photographer/s, there is always the overriding consideration not to 'create a scene' eg. at your client's wedding or fashion shows. eg. arguing with your client's guest who is over-enthusiastic but without malice in motive/action or causing deliberate damage to their guest's property/ies. I think, as adults, courtesy and politeness to all is the way to go. This way, your client would appreciate you more as a professional and not regret having engaged you as their official photographer.
    That I have to agree with... Just like that recent wedding I went to... Even the groom's father wasn't allowed to take photos with his little phone camera!

Sigh, I think if all professional photographers are the type who will barge into people's views and shows without being considerate about the other human beings there, I have to say nobody would like us photographers anymore and would 'hum-tum' us when they see someone with a camera.

Yepz... as I've done it, I'll do it again, if you find my elbow in your camera's expensive 17-35/16-35/17-40 front element, too bad for you... I won't give a hoot, you should know your place and your status, there's no arguments on the official photographer needs to be polite and stand back for others to shoot or not, if you've never been one, you'd probably say this, once you've shot as an official, you'll know what is "getting in other people's way".
    By espn

espn, isn't what you said about having a no care attitude to other people a little harsh on other amateurs like us? It sort of makes photography less fun if it has to be done like that. IMHO I think that professionals are professionals, they have to get that shot, but in all cases pro or non-pro photographers are still human beings, so it means that pro photographers should not act 'BIG' and be pushy as this won't earn you a good reputation in and out of events. If you did that here in Thailand ie. getting in people's way etc. etc. without respecting other people's interests, I can definitely say that 99% of the time people will curse and swear at you till the day you die and some people would go to the extent of taking your life away. Thank god that most S'poreans are more forgiving than that. In case you want to have an example, I was one of the victims to one of these things, though not shooting I didn't know I was blocking some people in a fashion show and was cursed at badly in Thai because they thought that I was inconsiderate.

I apologize espn, if I sound as if I'm pointing at you, but its just my honest point of view from what you said in this thread and the replies you gave me on my thread of the wedding thing I got upset about. This is not a 'I-hate-you' reply so please don't flame me etc etc. I know you are a nice guy but really its a little harsh to say those type of things. Don't scare us!

Regards,
    Nick
    Last edited by nickmak; 29th November 2004 at 12:50 AM.
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

So there indeed were shows at Paragon.....recced on Friday afternoon but couldn't see the stage. Wanted to go down on Sat but still got 200+ pics to DI, Paragon hasn't been exactly photog-friendly so didn't wanna waste time.

At least they don't have "Strictly No Photography" signs + security guards to chase you away.

One thing i do not understand is why any so-called "official" especially for shows of this calibre is usually not equipped or did not specify a platform to shoot from (which is pretty common). If you shoot that close up, you shoot from a platform. Or bring ladder or equipment box and label it as "official photog", simply just demarcate an "official" spot. Same goes for the official videographer. Or else you just shoot chin + lousy backfround and the perspective is not nice, as simple as that. I always make it a point to tell the event company to give me a stage. Then seemingly got this "anti-social" problem also no problem.....coz anybody in their right mind would siam the stage, and you get real good pics. Everyone is happy. Well, at least for me, i don't want to anger any of these so-called non-official photogs, you will never know when you will get contacts from them. Guess different way of working.

Don't think it's press or media.

Psst....smallaperture, share pics leh. Ready, Lights, Action gallery.

Lightbulb

most official photographers are considerate. they usually do not mind if they have set up a shot and letting the non-official ones to shoot the same setup after he had his shots first. the rare ones i had came across are not really professionals, in my view. they think of themselves to the extent of annoying the non-officials and some even 'flash' their pass around and deliberately took up positions/angles directly in front of non-officials 'just to assert their position'. this is no no.
    Last edited by reachme2003; 29th November 2004 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmak

Sigh, I think if all professional photographers are the type who will barge into people's views and shows without being considerate about the other human beings there, I have to say nobody would like us photographers anymore and would 'hum-tum' us when they see someone with a camera.
    No lar nick, it's not that bad. There are good photogs and there are bad photogs, just like in any other job.

BTW, squatting down so as not to block others is actually very siong on the thighs you know. You gotta try shooting stuff like D&D for 4-6 hours. Once i shot for 2 nights 10 hours total and i got cramp the next day, even worse than swimming 20 laps. Standing up at least not so bad.

Actually, there are less problems with official photographers trying to act big than with non-official photographers trying to act big. Official photographers are more likely to know what's the limit for taking pictures simply because they have probably been briefed by their clients before the event. Non-official photographers don't have that information and makes their own assumptions, there's where the trouble comes in.

And there's this misconception that pro-photographers try to act big. That's probably because as photographers, they have to take charge of the pictures they have to take. If they don't try to assert some presence, situations like group shots are going to take a lot of time to get right.
    Last edited by Prismatic; 29th November 2004 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    most official photographers are considerate.
    Same sentiments. I am not a pro, but at least for those pros i have met are nice people and setup a shot, get it and move on if they are blocking. They are usually equipped for such situations anyway and can shoot from other positions. For others, beats me.....

Lightbulb

Paragon owned by SPH is or was very difficult with non-official photographers in my experience. Compared to Takashimaya, they go all out to stop you with guards on the ground floor and roving guards on the various floors to stop non-official photographers.

What was mentioned that Paragon allowed photography at their shows is almost unbelievable. However, i am glad it did happened.

Well, at least Raffles City and Taka are photog friendly. Always make it a point to shop there and support.

But one thing non-officials should take note is not to talk/laugh too loudly before or during shooting. Not to say that you can't talk, but relac a bit....i know the models are nice.

Lightbulb

that is bo bian lah. men are men.

my omission. i did not mention Raffles City.

Just my 2 cents worth

I don't think he is a professional. Why?

(1) He is too damn close to the models to take full-body shots. If he uses a wide-angle, the pic would be distorted. If he is only take half-body shots, then I think he is missing the whole point of the event -> clothes.

(2) I don't think it is an excuse to say you forgot to bring your zoom or telephoto along. If you are the official photog, you jolly well have it. My guess he is prob just a 'passer by' who came along to shoot.

*Now you guys have scared him. He probably is a fellow CSer. After he saw this thread, he dare not post his pics up *

there is a very thin line between being an officially-appointed photographer, and throwing your weight and 'status' around just because you are one.

take for example, a wedding. you are paid to cover the event and get the best shots. yes, you do have to jostle with like-minded guests for the best angles and positions sometimes. that includes nudging people away with ur shoulders or elbows. but that doesn't mean you forget your manners. never forget nonetheless, these people attending the wedding are guests personally invited by the wedding couple/family. they have every right to enjoy the day, too.

as a photographer, especially a PR events one, it's not only important you are competent photographically, but also diplomatically. imagine what other people might think of you when they see you just bashing your way through. they might think twice about engaging you for other events. yes, you have to do the inevitable sometimes, but don't forget your P's and Q's.

anyway, *lol* for the day a laugh a day keeps the blues away

Lightbulb

could not have expressed it better myself. boorish attitude and behaviour equates to 'bad' photographer and a 'poor' business person.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Same sentiments. I am not a pro, but at least for those pros i have met are nice people and setup a shot, get it and move on if they are blocking. They are usually equipped for such situations anyway and can shoot from other positions. For others, beats me.....
    Just to add on,

I was shooting at a fashion show. As there is no boundary to separate the official and non- official photographer. Whenever we (me and the official photographer) came across the same spot. Surprisingly he gives way to me but I insist him to shoot first. I appreciate his kindness and good manner toward newbie like me.
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    To get by with a good size, you need the size of Larry, not espn

*espn migrates to pluto
    what makes you think pluto is far enough...?

For a wedding, whether I am shooting photos or video, I try to blend in and disappear, while getting the good shots and frames. Now, that takes a lot of thinking and planning. I have seen a sombre church wedding made to look like some 'meet-the-president' session with 5 photographers and 2 videographers all diving in for the kiss scene. That was really a joke! The invitees (I guess, VIP to the wedding couple) sees nothing but the 'reporters'!

And about shooting at fashion shows in shopping centres, I suppose every visiting photographer must remember that although shopping centres are so public, they are actually private buildings, and they have all rights to stop anyone from photographing anything.

Lastly, my personal opinion on the guy in the sweaty shirt is that he is inconsiderate. Hopefully he reads this stuff here and improves his attitude. Stand up, take the shot and Chimp while sitting down. That's a more considerate approach.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForce
    I was shooting at a fashion show. As there is no boundary to separate the official and non- official photographer. Whenever we (me and the official photographer) came across the same spot. Surprisingly he gives way to me but I insist him to shoot first. I appreciate his kindness and good manner toward newbie like me.
    That is a trick in itself. In fact i just practised this last Friday for a D&D. Let everyone with P&S shoot first, in fact you/me as the *professional* should guide him/her along and event to the extent of setting up the shot. This way you do not waste time, kill 2 birds with 1 stone. In fact, i was even offered namecards so that i could show them my portfolio for their weddings.....
    PR skills goes a long way.....like i said the story is not only getting good pics to show the client.

"Please, maybe you guys could strike a pose, raise your legs and kick to the right.....look at him....he's taking the pic, not me......hey you there, smile happy happy then picture nice lar. Say CHEEZ!!" Then i will pop in and say one more people.....CHEEZ. Then i burst off 2 or 3 shots burst mode if the group shot includes important people like the VIPs/CEO/VPs (prevents closed eyes in most cases and red-eye if not bouncing). This way, he is the guinea pig to see if the pic can wor or needs fine tuning. If ok, everybody happy bom pee pee. Hot pics sure will attract lots of attention lar.....so why not go with the flow man?

Question Shooting for client

Hi All, i was shooting at one of the fashion show in Taka and was ask to move aside by a guy as i am blocking the people at the back shooting with super long len for fun. I did apologise for blocking some of their view as i was shooting for a my client. I was given permission for standing in the front with the video crew by the show manager. Later that guy pm me saying i should bring a ladder and better equipments next time. If you got to shoot for a living what would you do.

Now, I understand why Paragon is so photog unfriendly. Owned or was owned by SPH. At first I didn't want to go there, becos of previous bad experience there, but my kaki told me that we can shoot this time, so gave it a try. Anyhow, that is not the place I go for shopping.

Yeah, Taka and Raffles City are photog friendly, although I am not that keen in this kind of shoot.

As mentioned, I think pro photogs need to do their PR well, and need to distribute their cards to get more jobs. Unless you're employed by the mighty SPH, which is now becoming a monopoly again! Well, this is how things are here in S'pore.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    That is a trick in itself. In fact i just practised this last Friday for a D&D. Let everyone with P&S shoot first, in fact you/me as the *professional* should guide him/her along and event to the extent of setting up the shot. This way you do not waste time, kill 2 birds with 1 stone. In fact, i was even offered namecards so that i could show them my portfolio for their weddings.....
    PR skills goes a long way.....like i said the story is not only getting good pics to show the client.

"Please, maybe you guys could strike a pose, raise your legs and kick to the right.....look at him....he's taking the pic, not me......hey you there, smile happy happy then picture nice lar. Say CHEEZ!!" Then i will pop in and say one more people.....CHEEZ. Then i burst off 2 or 3 shots burst mode if the group shot includes important people like the VIPs/CEO/VPs (prevents closed eyes in most cases and red-eye if not bouncing). This way, he is the guinea pig to see if the pic can wor or needs fine tuning. If ok, everybody happy bom pee pee. Hot pics sure will attract lots of attention lar.....so why not go with the flow man?
    Wow,

How come your company got so many D&D ? I recall that we had shot the 2 night D&D (your company) at Suntec not very long ago wah
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Jason H0
    Guests

maybe he got all wet from the spitting saliva from the unhappy photographers down there.

Quote Originally Posted by yowch
    the guy in the sweaty shirt is that he is inconsiderate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast