Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The next step

Default Re: The next step

TS: just something to ponder.. find yourself on this graph (should me made sticky somewhere), but not to be taken dead serious ..

(Linked from enticingthelight.com)
    Last edited by Octarine; 20th January 2012 at 10:28 AM.
    EOS

Hi Marcus,

It could be a lot of things.

Just try to actively look around at other's works that you like and try to learn/copy from them.

Search the net on tips on editing to get the look and feel that you like.

If all else fails, go get the gear. It's photography. The gear helps. Most people here have more than 1 lens. It's nothing wrong.

Enjoy and have fun!

Well...I guessed tis so call "BBB" symptom could happen to anyone at any point of time lor...Anyway after much deliberation,I have decided to just stick to my very beloved "tammy"(17-50mm) as it is affectionally knownas,for now.thanx guys for all yr most consructive comments & advice.Happy New Year & happy shooting to all!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus7 View Post
    Well...I guessed tis so call "BBB" symptom could happen to anyone at any point of time lor...Anyway after much deliberation,I have decided to just stick to my very beloved "tammy"(17-50mm) as it is affectionally knownas,for now.thanx guys for all yr most consructive comments & advice.Happy New Year & happy shooting to all!
    very deadly virus I must say HAHA.. ya i believe your tammy 17-50 is good enough for general purpose
    Lousy de My Flickr

Sounds like a good idea, but if you find that your tammy is limiting you and you try out another lens and could get the shots you want, you know it's time. =)
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Just buy what you need/want to buy. Nobody can decide it for you.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Hi guys,i hav been shooting for abt a year now & there is a funny feeling inside of mi whenever i hav the chance to go for a shoot.it is telling mi tat i am lacking "something",inadequate in some ways or something is amiss,i dun really know.i always feel tat i can shoot better in terms of my framing & composition likewise.It's definetely not a camera body issue;but then i was wondering could it be the lens tat is playing tricks on mi???(i am using a Canon EOS 60D with Tamron 17-50mm Non-VC).Do i nid to change to another lens whatsoever,or do i nid to take up some kind of photography course?Where do i go from here? Gurus pls enlighten...good day!
    Hi Marcus, the 17-50 is a good performer, if you are happy with the range and image quality so far, the only reason for you to feel funny might indeed be the BBB virus.

However, if you are feeling the range of your 17-50 is inadequate, maybe you can go rent a lens of another different focal length to try to see if that will make you feel better?

Maybe go read some books regarding theories & knowledge of photograph then come back and shoot more? That usually works on me.

Btw, I seem to be all over the place regarding that graph...

what i usually did to learn, was to take the same subject from different angles and at different parts of the frame. this helps you to learn some composition techniques that'll come in handy on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    what i usually did to learn, was to take the same subject from different angles and at different parts of the frame. this helps you to learn some composition techniques that'll come in handy on the ground.
    yes, go back to shoot the same thing, improve your shots with you skills, not your gears.

practice makes perfect.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus7
    Hi guys,i hav been shooting for abt a year now & there is a funny feeling inside of mi whenever i hav the chance to go for a shoot.it is telling mi tat i am lacking "something",inadequate in some ways or something is amiss,i dun really know.i always feel tat i can shoot better in terms of my framing & composition likewise.It's definetely not a camera body issue;but then i was wondering could it be the lens tat is playing tricks on mi???(i am using a Canon EOS 60D with Tamron 17-50mm Non-VC).Do i nid to change to another lens whatsoever,or do i nid to take up some kind of photography course?Where do i go from here? Gurus pls enlighten...good day!
    U need a FF cam now......

Quote Originally Posted by donut88

U need a FF cam now......
    That's always the dream!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Marcus,

Clearly you have identified the issue. Just look at your own post that you wrote ... "I always feel tat I can shoot better in terms of my framing & composition likewise." This says clearly that you are not happy with the pictures that you have taken because the final image is not pleasing to you.

You might be trying to reproduce a shot that you have seen somewhere before - not exactly the same scene but structurely you are trying to recreate the feel, the mood or simply a similar setting. The camera and the lens might be a reason why you are not able to get the result you want but that is often secondary. More importantly you need to understand what you are trying to create.

I would say you need to shoot more. Shoot with a reference point in mind for a start. I am not sure which genre you are trying to focus on but regardless, look at the works of many photographers and select a style that inspire you most. Understand how the photographer created those pictures - books, internets, forum provide a lot of information. I am sure over time you get a glimpse of how it is done. At the same time, shoot shoot and shoot while trying to create something similar. I am sure you will get closer and closer as you perfect your skills. By that time, you should also know if your equipment is limiting you and make a decision on which new piece of gear to get (or to stick with your current arsenal).

Do you need to take up some photography course? Maybe in the good old film days, I would say yes. In today's digital era, there is more than one source of learning resources. At the end, it depends on your learning style - are you one that learns best thru courses or through observation or are you the type that can simply learn by yourserlf by reading up? Only you know best.

Drop me a PM if you wish to discuss further and Happy Chinese New Year!

Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12