Thread: High quality compact camera / travel companion recommendation ?

Default High quality compact camera / travel companion recommendation ?

Hello everyone ,

around every 2 years , I upgrade the compact camera that I use for my business travel .
    At the moment , I use a Fuji 550 EXR , and it's about time to dump this and shop for a new one .
    I just want to ask around and get the opinion of other users, as I am not so familiar with the compact market.
    I do not want to bring my Fuji X100 or my Ricoh GXR along , as they are too bulky to put inside a laptop bag , and also these babies are for private use .
    So, here is what I am looking for
    Compact, means it should fit inside a laptop bag.
    A zoom would be nice , 4 times or higher
    A good 1cm Macro is a must
    A viewfinder ( optical or electronic) would be nice
    Charging via USB cable would be good , otherwise , a good battery life would also help
    And of course , I would like to have a good usable picture quality. I know, I can't find anything as good as my x100 or my Rico GXR A12 with fixed prime lens. But I would like to get the best possible under the given requirements .Price is not really an issue .
    In general, I like the mostly better image quality of mirror less system cameras, but the zoom lenses are just too big ( or is there any collapsing zoom lens? )
    Some cameras I looked at already
    Pentax Q ( neg. points: no viewfinder , zoom lens a bit big )
    Olympus Pm-1 ( neg points: no viewfinder, and again zoom lens too big )
    Nikon V1 ( pos. Viewfinder , good macro mode , neg. a bit too big )
    Nikon P7100 ...soso, maybe there is an update from the 10 mpix to 16 mipx soon ? Otherwise interesting .
    Canon G1X ..look interesting ( but smaller would be nicer)

I am happy to hear you opinion :-)

Default Re: High quality compact camera / travel companion recommendation ?

What would you call "usable"? Looks like any point and shoot like an S100 or a HX9V would fit you.
    Alpha

By usable, I mean good quality , sharp pictures. Maybe my expectations are too high , but I was more or less disaapointed by the Fuji 550 exr quality , specially at the upper end of the zoom range.
    However, thanks for the suggestion. Found sample pics in high res of the Hx9v here http://img.photographyblog.com/revie...ny_hx9v_24.jpg
    Disappointing
    Same for the S100 , samples here, http://www.canon-europe.com/Images/I...m13-859048.JPG details are blur in the corners , chromatic defects are visible even at low level jpeg .
    Last edited by Achim Reh; 19th January 2012 at 04:59 PM.

Fuji X10

Hello Wong_se, also I have the X100, I never thought of the X10. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    So far this ( besides the Canon G1X, which is not available now) , gives the best picture quality that I have seen form the range of cameras I looked at . Also, it shoots combined raw / jpeg with filter , has a optical viewfinder , and a good high iso quality.

Well, I'd pick a SONY HX9V...cos out of sooo many P&S that I'd used in the past with no IQ that come close to this particular P&S or SONY-TX10...since you'll be carrying it every here and there whereby bound to "suffer" from some bounce or some knocks and this is one that's equipped with a few 'protection' P&S and very 'Slim'-very pocketable-profile too.....!!!!!

Hope some of my above mentioned helps you in your decisions making.....!!
    Anything that can take pictures...happy already lor...(..but...Hasselblad_H5D-50 as my Workhorse)

Quote Originally Posted by wong_se View Post
    Fuji X10
    i second this

After some research, I am really ( positive) surprised about the image quality of the x10. Also, it is a rather small 2/3" sensor , which is naturally not my favorite type, is delivers an outstanding image quality for such a small sensor. I downloaded some full resolution samples for 6400iso and compared this with samples of Canons new G1X , which has almost an APS-C sensor size of 1.5" . The difference is of course noticeable , but I would say, it might be a difference of around 10% only ( in typical high iso noise) . After processing the pictures in Dfine, there was hardly any difference at all.

How about LX5??

given the requirements... the canon g12 seems to fit the bill. the flip lcd is pretty handy and the body is quite weather resistant. dedicated buttons are always a plus.
    Last edited by Reportage; 20th January 2012 at 03:03 PM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Dun know abt how the canon s100 perform, but I quite satisfied with the performance of my compact canon s90. Small enough to fit into my Jean pocket.

Blog Entries

right now i have the XZ-1 and a S95, one bigger and one smaller

i dont mean to hijack the thread, but im also looking for a very similar camera although im looking for something very compact, and for around USD400 or less.
    ive handled the canon S95, and i prefer soemthing in that size.. im currently thinking of the lumix LX5. is it a good time to buy, or is a new model just around the corner, better to wait? also been looking at the XZ-1 which i think is very similar in size (n price too). the fuji x10 looks great but out of my budget.
    canon s95, i wasnt too impressed with the pics my friend had taken.. and with the samples.. and S100 is a bit too expensive. any recommendation on either the LX5 or XZ-1, or any other similar models? thanks guys
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

Dear all, thank you so much for suggesting the best suitable travel / work companion cameras to me.
    After downloading countless jpeg and raw image samples, comparing them regarding noise at different iso levels , chromatic failure, distortion , color and so on, and doing the effort of creating an excel matrix , I got a clear winner. The Fuji X10. I am surprised that such a small sensor performs so well, even better then some of its bigger competitors. Regarding features and design , the fuji also has some very big plus points. 1) A great optical view finder ( thats a huge battery saving on longer trips) , shoot raw and jpeg at the same time ( what I normally do) , shoot exposure bracketing ( another thing I do very often) , a 1cm Macro mode ( I really need this for work) and a size that fits nicely in a laptop bag. So, after I had a clear winner , I bought one yesterday. Prices ranged from 800 SG$ without any accessories to 863 SG$ with leather case and memory card. I decided on an offer at 849,- SG$ with leather case and a reasonable fast 16 GB memory card and screen protector.
    I will post some first experience within the next days .

Quote Originally Posted by Achim Reh
    Dear all, thank you so much for suggesting the best suitable travel / work companion cameras to me.
    After downloading countless jpeg and raw image samples, comparing them regarding noise at different iso levels , chromatic failure, distortion , color and so on, and doing the effort of creating an excel matrix , I got a clear winner. The Fuji X10. I am surprised that such a small sensor performs so well, even better then some of its bigger competitors. Regarding features and design , the fuji also has some very big plus points. 1) A great optical view finder ( thats a huge battery saving on longer trips) , shoot raw and jpeg at the same time ( what I normally do) , shoot exposure bracketing ( another thing I do very often) , a 1cm Macro mode ( I really need this for work) and a size that fits nicely in a laptop bag. So, after I had a clear winner , I bought one yesterday. Prices ranged from 800 SG$ without any accessories to 863 SG$ with leather case and memory card. I decided on an offer at 849,- SG$ with leather case and a reasonable fast 16 GB memory card and screen protector.
    I will post some first experience within the next days .
    Of coz, with a price tag of $800++, it has to be better than other compacts like S95, S100, LX5......

It's not a surprise. Not fair to compare.

For this price tag, you should be comparing with entry level SLR or DSLR, not with compacts.

In my initial post, I said that price is not an issue , I needed a camera to bring along on my business trips, which us compact and can deliver good quality pictures, and has some other requirements as mentioned above. So, I did not and never wanted to compare on price, just on size, the features I was looking for and the image quality.

I just posted my first samples here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-...-fuji-x10.html
    Last edited by Achim Reh; 21st January 2012 at 07:01 PM.

Hmm I'll list down some of my personal favorites for compact travel companion.

Smallest size: canon s100/s95, Panasonic lumix lx5

mid size: Fuji X10

Bigger size (depending on which lens you mount): GF3, sony nex5n