Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Lens Hood thread damage

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    171

    Default Lens Hood thread damage

    Hi guys,

    I dropped my whole camera awhile back and the lens took the brunt of it.

    On closer inspection now, I realise that the threading for the hood on the lens is chipped, so now I am not able to screw on the hood any more.

    Any idea if the repair is going to cost a lot? If so, could you provide a rough estimate?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LArdius
    Hi guys,

    I dropped my whole camera awhile back and the lens took the brunt of it.

    On closer inspection now, I realise that the threading for the hood on the lens is chipped, so now I am not able to screw on the hood any more.

    Any idea if the repair is going to cost a lot? If so, could you provide a rough estimate?

    Thanks
    ouch.. i hope the thread is the only one damaged.. i think it might be better if u call the manufacturer of the lens n ask.. the community may not be able to provide accurate info as the prices can change from time to time..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    ouch.. i hope the thread is the only one damaged.. i think it might be better if u call the manufacturer of the lens n ask.. the community may not be able to provide accurate info as the prices can change from time to time..
    I see, yup, the lens is working fine. Okay, looks like I have to make a trip down to canon. haha

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LArdius

    I see, yup, the lens is working fine. Okay, looks like I have to make a trip down to canon. haha
    call csc n ask 1st? get yourself mentally prepared 1st mah..

    mind sharing the incident?
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  5. #5

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    Ouch. My condolences... Wish the repair won't be too costly.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Serangoon
    Posts
    545

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    Maybe can get one of those rubber hoods.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    Check out ebay. There are some companies who sell a filter thread repairing tools , which can remove dents in the filter thread .
    I never tried it out myself, but I looked at the design and handling of this tools, and personally, I think they should work well.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    call csc n ask 1st? get yourself mentally prepared 1st mah..

    mind sharing the incident?
    I was in hongkong touring the city in a bus, I let my camera sit on my lap without the strap around my neck.

    When it was time to get off, I forgot that the strap was not around my neck, so when I got up, it slid of my lap and on to the ground.

  9. #9
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    Quote Originally Posted by LArdius View Post
    I was in hongkong touring the city in a bus, I let my camera sit on my lap without the strap around my neck.

    When it was time to get off, I forgot that the strap was not around my neck, so when I got up, it slid of my lap and on to the ground.
    oh man~! that's bad~! but lucky your camera and lens still working!!
    Lousy de My Flickr

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    Yes! This has taught me that canon lenses are very hardy! Heres a picture of the damage,


  11. #11

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Achim Reh View Post
    Check out ebay. There are some companies who sell a filter thread repairing tools , which can remove dents in the filter thread .
    I never tried it out myself, but I looked at the design and handling of this tools, and personally, I think they should work well.
    I believe what TS meant was the bayonet mount points for lens hood, not the filter threads. I hope the repair cost is insignificant... on my lenses it seems like the mounting points for the lens hood is on the lens barrel itself.
    Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yrh0413

    I believe what TS meant was the bayonet mount points for lens hood, not the filter threads. I hope the repair cost is insignificant... on my lenses it seems like the mounting points for the lens hood is on the lens barrel itself.
    think so.. he said,"for the hood on the lens"..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  13. #13

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    This is a POTENTIAL solution for your problem in case Canon doesn't want to provide repair service for you. It WILL make your lens lose ALL its resell value so unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, don't use the following solution.

    Quite simple really, take a metal file and smoothen the portion that has been dented. It will at least enable you to use hood again.
    P.S: By file, I mean the tool, not a file for bookkeeping purpose... Just in case... -_-...

  14. #14
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    Quote Originally Posted by area0404 View Post
    This is a POTENTIAL solution for your problem in case Canon doesn't want to provide repair service for you. It WILL make your lens lose ALL its resell value so unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, don't use the following solution.
    Quite simple really, take a metal file and smoothen the portion that has been dented. It will at least enable you to use hood again.
    P.S: By file, I mean the tool, not a file for bookkeeping purpose... Just in case... -_-...
    And all the dust from filing will fly around and get into the lens ... I suggest contacting Fatigue, I would at least remove the front part of the lens and treat it separately, also to avoid any mechanical impacts on focusing system (USM, not the micro motor here).
    EOS

  15. #15

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    And all the dust from filing will fly around and get into the lens ... I suggest contacting Fatigue, I would at least remove the front part of the lens and treat it separately, also to avoid any mechanical impacts on focusing system (USM, not the micro motor here).
    Good idea.. Fatigue would be able to help..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    171

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    Sorry if I mislead some of the people here, I didnt know how to describe it. But I put in a picture somewhere above! Who,what,where is Fatigue? Pardon my ignorance.

  17. #17
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    Quote Originally Posted by LArdius View Post
    Sorry if I mislead some of the people here, I didnt know how to describe it. But I put in a picture somewhere above! Who,what,where is Fatigue? Pardon my ignorance.
    Do a search here for user "fatigue"

  18. #18

    Default Re: Lens Hood thread damage

    Quote Originally Posted by LArdius View Post
    Sorry if I mislead some of the people here, I didnt know how to describe it. But I put in a picture somewhere above! Who,what,where is Fatigue? Pardon my ignorance.
    fatigue
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •