Thread: 35mm 1.8 vs sigma 24mm-70mm f2.8

Default 35mm 1.8 vs sigma 24mm-70mm f2.8

Hi guys

am new to photography and have been doing it for just under half a year. Am just wanting some advice and i do apolygies now if the topic has been covered. I can not seem to find anything on the forum. I like shooting portraites and events, and have been some time now with my 50mm 1.8g for the nikon d5100. Only problem is I find it too tight, especially for group shots. Am interested in the nikon 35mm 1.8g because after having the 50mm I seem to have fallen in love with prime lens. However a couple of my friends had recommended me the sigma 24-70mm. I thought ok since I do not have zoom lens. I am having a dilemma now and would like to ask people:

1.) Is it worth paying 3 times the price for the sigma over the nikon 35mm. I do not mind moving in about because i borrowed a tamron 18-270 and found i was too lazy, always stood in same place and just zoomed in and out and the quality was ok-ish especially since i use a prime all the time

hope i am making sense

thanks

Default Re: 35mm 1.8 vs sigma 24mm-70mm f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by TRicky671 View Post
    Hi guys

am new to photography and have been doing it for just under half a year. Am just wanting some advice and i do apolygies now if the topic has been covered. I can not seem to find anything on the forum. I like shooting portraites and events, and have been some time now with my 50mm 1.8g for the nikon d5100. Only problem is I find it too tight, especially for group shots. Am interested in the nikon 35mm 1.8g because after having the 50mm I seem to have fallen in love with prime lens. However a couple of my friends had recommended me the sigma 24-70mm. I thought ok since I do not have zoom lens. I am having a dilemma now and would like to ask people:

1.) Is it worth paying 3 times the price for the sigma over the nikon 35mm. I do not mind moving in about because i borrowed a tamron 18-270 and found i was too lazy, always stood in same place and just zoomed in and out and the quality was ok-ish especially since i use a prime all the time

hope i am making sense

thanks
    You are essentially comparing 2 lenses that are quite different.
    35/1.8DX is kinda like your 50/1.8, just that it gives slightly wider field of view.
    It's sharp and fast.

Sigma 24-70 is much bigger and heavier, not quite so fast (f/2.8 vs f/1.8), and more expensive. It's also a fair bit more expensive. It is designed for FX camera after all.

Both lenses have their pros and cons. Really no clear winner.

You don't have your kit lens? eg. 18-55 or something like that?
    Exploring! :)

Woah! The lenses are really different yeah. One is a inexpensive and capable prime lens, the other is a fairly fast but not as good at image quality zoom lens.

If you want the convenience of the zoom lens, then go for it then.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

thing is I dont know if its that much convient. I dont mind moving and didnt want to become lazy. I think there had only been a few occasions, but i was like o well maybe next time.

If portrait is your thing, I would suggest prime over zoom.

35mm gives you a less compressed background compare to 50mm, which I feel it's pretty good for outdoor portrait that includes the environment around your subject.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

thanks for the advice, i was edging towards the 35mm but been suggested alternatives and was stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by TRicky671 View Post
    thing is I dont know if its that much convient. I dont mind moving and didnt want to become lazy. I think there had only been a few occasions, but i was like o well maybe next time.
    I don't get you here with the laziness aspect. Zooming is not so much about being lazy to walk. It's also (and some people don't think about this aspect) about the different perspective and foreground / background ratio that changes when you use zoom lenses.
    If possible, borrow the lens (or use your kit lens, that's also fine). Use a smaller stationary object. Now take two shots with your prime, one where the object fills the frame 50%, another shot with 100% (edge to edge). Obviously you have to 'foot zoom' here.
    Then repeat the steps with the zoom lens but use only the lens zoom. Compare the pictures, pay attention to details in the background. Repeat the test for different focal length, always compare 'foot zoom' and 'lens zoom'... should be obvious
    Also keep in mind: you cannot always walk closer or step back. Select the right tool for your own preferences.
    EOS

noted, will try it out. thanks guys for the advice, am picking up other things that i would never have thought

I'm a little curious on the reason for you to compare the two. They are not really alternative for each other. Anyway, at wide angle, 35 should perform better (I'm not a Nikon user so I'm not entirely sure) except that it's not as wide as 24-70's widest point (which is 24mm). For anything beyond 50, 24-70 can do things a prime 35 cannot do even if you move around.

Since you said you like portrait & event, I would suggest 24-70 for its versatility. 35 is a little too wide for portrait (that's just my opinion though) and I would usually like to keep a little distance between me and my subject so they won't feel uncomfortable. During an event, you may also not have the time to run around when a beautiful picture present itself. However, it is entirely up to you, I am only giving my view in this.