Thread: UK Funfair!

genie47
    Guests

Default UK Funfair!

The dazzling lights and stuff at night. How best to take pictures of such a scene. Passed by on JE MRT and ran out to take pictures from the platform. I'm using a Powershot G2. I turned the selector on night and the lights seemed quite overwhelming!

On Auto, the lights are quite dim and yucky. I guess have to use manual. What is the best manual setting for this?

BTW, anyone of you have taken such a carnival scene at night before?

Default Re: UK Funfair!

Originally posted by genie47
    The dazzling lights and stuff at night. How best to take pictures of such a scene. Passed by on JE MRT and ran out to take pictures from the platform. I'm using a Powershot G2. I turned the selector on night and the lights seemed quite overwhelming!

On Auto, the lights are quite dim and yucky. I guess have to use manual. What is the best manual setting for this?

Going to do that next week (hey, I work in JE). DO use a tripod, as you will need lowish shutter speeds. I am not that familiar with the G2, so can't help you with the specifics.

Regards
    CK

Default Re: UK Funfair!

Originally posted by genie47

Set it at long exposure, Tv? Probably a tripod or some other firm support would be useful.

Default Test Shot

Hi,

Here's a test shot from the MRT Station. No tripod was used - camera was held to the railing for the exposure time.

Coolpix 950, ISO80, 1s @ f/11. Will probably be shooting with "proper equipment" soon.

Regards
    CK

Default Re: Test Shot

Originally posted by ckiang
    Hi,

Here's a test shot from the MRT Station. No tripod was used - camera was held to the railing for the exposure time.

Coolpix 950, ISO80, 1s @ f/11. Will probably be shooting with "proper equipment" soon.

Regards
    CK
    DSLR arriving soon?

If this was done handheld then i cant imagine what a tripod-mounted version will look like.

Originally posted by rubric
    If this was done handheld then i cant imagine what a tripod-mounted version will look like.
    what to imagine ?? no much diff...just clearer, that's all..

That's what i meant!

i've a problem with freezing quick night shots also.. understand that during outdoors day we can use fast shutter speeds to freeze motion.. but what kind of settings can we use to freeze night movement ?

Default Re: Re: Test Shot

Originally posted by erwinx

DSLR arriving soon?
    No lar, proper equipment as in SLR, tripod, cable release and all...

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by rubric
    Sharper and less of camera shake problems? It's not totally hand held, but I held the camera to the railing for that 1s. Out of about 5, this is the only one which is acceptable.

i've a problem with freezing quick night shots also.. understand that during outdoors day we can use fast shutter speeds to freeze motion.. but what kind of settings can we use to freeze night movement ?
    Tripod. Or if you don't have one, find anything that you can put your camera on. Cameras like Coolpix 9xx series rules here.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Tripod. Or if you don't have one, find anything that you can put your camera on. Cameras like Coolpix 9xx series rules here.

Regards
    CK

problem is, i'm already using a tripod. I'll post in another thread for comments. =)