Thread: SACDs, CDs, Hifi

Originally posted by ckiang
    I am an audiophile, and CDs do not suck. Not when you play them through a good CD player and good hifi equipment. SACD/DVD-A sounds better, obviously, but CDs definitely don't suck. You are right about the filter, and having it at 22kHz does have some unpleasant characteristics though.
    opps, suddenly become audiophile-club
    Good sound depend on the expectation of the audience, I tried to listen to CD when it started its debut in the mid 80s, tried for years. Until finally, back to my old vinyl record and fully vacuum-tube amplification.

The thing is, in practice, things are often different from theory, where everything is ideal. To put up another audio analogy, while people are pushing 24/96 or even 24/192 recordings, low SNR ratios, etc, it's not just these specs that make a system sound good. LPs and Tube Amps are known to have low SNR, CDs are only 16/44, yet on a good equipment, they sound marvellous. A well recorded CD played on a good system, even if it has say a low SNR of 80dB, probably sounds better than SACD/DVD-A played through a poorly designed DAC/amp which has rated specs of 24/96 and 100dB SNR.
    CK, SACD doesn't have DAC, the DSD coded bit-stream is directly sent to an analog low-pass filter, nothing else.
    Tube amp sound nice to our ears, not because of its technical spec (Transistor-amp will excel in almost all spec), but its harmonic distortion is even order, while transistor's distortion is odd order. I will not explain further on this subject, since this is not the relevant forum and it will be very long.
    You're right, that no matter how good the recording medium is, if it is played thru a bad system, it will sound bad. The final result will be limited by the weakest node in the chain.

Hi,

Originally posted by tsdh
    opps, suddenly become audiophile-club
    Good sound depend on the expectation of the audience, I tried to listen to CD when it started its debut in the mid 80s, tried for years. Until finally, back to my old vinyl record and fully vacuum-tube amplification.
    Shifting it out into a new thread. The mid-80s CDs are horrible, but properly created CDs still sound very good. I have quite a number of these, some are even ADD and AAD, which sounds excellent, even on my relatively low end setup. Most of the pop CDs just doesn't sound good to begin with, but classical/jazz is pretty good.

CK, SACD doesn't have DAC, the DSD coded bit-stream is directly sent to an analog low-pass filter, nothing else.
    Oh yes, I forgot that. I basically dumped everything together in that thread.

Tube amp sound nice to our ears, not because of its technical spec (Transistor-amp will excel in almost all spec), but its harmonic distortion is even order, while transistor's distortion is odd order. I will not explain further on this subject, since this is not the relevant forum and it will be very long.
    You're right, that no matter how good the recording medium is, if it is played thru a bad system, it will sound bad. The final result will be limited by the weakest node in the chain.
    Right. It also shows that, despite the LP and tube amp's poor specs, you can still get very, very good sound out of it which can potentially rival those high-bit, high sampling rate digital players.

Regards
    CK