Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pls help newbie with photographing aquarium fish!

Default A gold fish close up...through the fish tank...

Hiee...

Here is an image of a gold fish ....through the glass of the tank...
    I used the DImage A1 for this shot.

Prefocussed on a predetermined distance and size i want....i used the wireless flas firing from the top of the fish tank....with forward fill a little....

Here is the result....I learn that as long as the fill flash is not right angle to the glass....there will be less reflection....(obviously!!!)....

I took the shot with the camera t an angle about 45 degrees...to the glasss...
    Slight aberration due to the glass interface....

tv: 1/5000
    Av: f11
    Iso 100: Shutter Priority

rgds,
    sulhan

thanks everyone for chiming in with your various advice! I have been reading and appreciate everyone's helpfulness here!

Quote Originally Posted by sulhan
    Here is an image of a gold fish ....through the glass of the tank...
    I used the DImage A1 for this shot.

Prefocussed on a predetermined distance and size i want....i used the wireless flas firing from the top of the fish tank....with forward fill a little....

Here is the result....I learn that as long as the fill flash is not right angle to the glass....there will be less reflection....(obviously!!!)....

I took the shot with the camera t an angle about 45 degrees...to the glasss...
    Slight aberration due to the glass interface....

Wow! That's nice! Very up close and personal type of perspective.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino
    I've read the manual, so i know how to use it, i just don't know to put together a solution with my equipment to bring out the best..

what would be your recommendations for:
    1) flash/ lighting?
    2) F- Stop (What is this? my camera's range is 1.8 to 8.0)
    3) Shutter speed (1/5? to 1/900?)
    4) white balance
    5) ISO
    6) others?

thanks in advance.. i'll try posting some pics of my 'work' soon for you all the rip up!
    Hi cavallino,

You're here too?

Anway, glad to know that you've read the manual! Many don't.

Quick answer to your questions..

1. Add more light, the more the better. External flash and slave flash above and at an angle the tank would be good.

2. If the fish is parallel to the front glass pane of the aquarium and your camera is directly at right angle to the front glass pane, you can get away with F4 or F5.6. Try not to go lower than F4. A large part of the fish will be out of focus. Keep the eye in focus whenever possible.

3. The highest permissible. If you want to freeze your fishes, don't use anything less than 1/60 sec. But not necessary to use 1/500 sec either. The minimum shutter speed should be inversely proportional to the focal length used. You do the maths when you zoom accordingly.

4. Set to Auto White Balance. No matter what, you will need to adjust white balance in post photography editing. This is due to the color temperature of the tubes used. Most aquarium tubes have color temperature ranging from 3500 K to 20 000 K.

5. ISO should be set to lowerest possible. For the Olympus C5050, try not to go above 200. Add flash/light when it's not enough. Otherwise, the grain/noise will ruin the picture.

6. There is a whole load of other variable factors. The most important one that a lot of folks forgot is the tank. CLEAN THE OUTER GLASS WITH A LINT FREE CLOTH! and don't forget the inside. Dirt shows up when you have sufficient lighting.

The best way to improve is to see your pictures. Work to duplicate the scenario and improving one step at a time. You can always try with a static subject placed in the tank for a start instead of disturbing your fish everytime.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 2nd December 2004 at 10:56 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12