Thread: Help with flash photography?

Default Help with flash photography?

Hello everyone! Firstly, i'd like to thank you first for reading this and offering your help/advice/view.

Background
    I've been photographing for almost a year, and I'm pretty comfortable with using my camera in manual and such.
    However.. i want to venture into flash photography for even nicer portraits and product shoots! Currently my equipment is..
    Nikon D90

nikon 18-55 kit lens..
    nikon 35mm f/1.8g
    nikon 85mm f/1.8d
    sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM II.
    SB-600 x1.
    Manfrotto idk-what-model tripod.

Questions

1) How does a wireless trigger system really work? Is it worth the price? I think the commander mode on the camera to operate my sb-600 off camera works well..
    2) Is it more worth to get two more SB-600 ($500 for two used) and a few softboxes, or "my studio starter kit" ($370) from artworkfoto.com? This link: Studio Flash,Lighting Kit
    3) Also, if i get strobes like the starter kit mentioned above, do i have to purchase a wireless trigger system since cls won't work?
    4) Regardless of what flash system i use.. would a shoot through umbrella or a reflective umbrella or a regular softbox work better to provide a nice soft light?

My budget is $500, since i'm into this just for a hobby for now and not as a career, and the fact that i'm still an 18 year old student that doesn't have much cash...
    And i forgot to mention.. i'm intending to do both indoor and outdoor shoots. SB-600 would be highly portable but i'm okay with bringing the strobes since it's not that big and has an external battery pack.

Thank you everyone for reading this far and i hope you can help! And i apologise for the onslaught of questions :P

Default Re: Help with flash photography?

THANK YOU THIS REALLY HELPS!

Still can't decide between a starter strobe kit and three sb-600 :\

Quote Originally Posted by ahmadmfz View Post
    Still can't decide between a starter strobe kit and three sb-600 :\
    i rather go with the SB600 due to the versatility.

the kit will prolly be rotting at home, it's ac powered if im not wrong.

or get YN flash and YN radio trigger.
    i am thinking of this option...
    but still looking ard. also is there anyone selling softbox for flash?

Hmmm that seems like a good economical option. I think I'm going with a shoot through umbrella for a diffuser.

Quote Originally Posted by rvf79 View Post
    or get YN flash and YN radio trigger.
    i am thinking of this option...
    but still looking ard. also is there anyone selling softbox for flash?
    Mass sale alot, it's easier to get these days than before thanks to all the MIC ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmadmfz View Post
    Hmmm that seems like a good economical option. I think I'm going with a shoot through umbrella for a diffuser.

yup

Studio strobes are not versatile, but it provides much more power than your speedlight. You got to weigh your needs, if you are doing outdoor more often, speedlight is a good start until you can fund for a portable battery for strobes (those are expensive). If indoor is more of your stuff, maybe it would be wise to buy a good studio kit right from the start, but good & reliable ones will cost you more than your budget.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye