Thread: Thaipusam Festival 2012

Default Thaipusam Festival 2012

Thaipusam Festival is on 7 February 2012

I never shot this event before, hence I want to take leave and try this year, But as a noob, I kinda blur with all the Hindi terms & ritual schedules.
    Can some seniors here give some enlightment the best timing / venue to capture?
    I'm interested with piercing & procession...

many thanks in advance!

Default Re: Thaipusam Festival 2012

Just follow it and shoot it.... easy really

For me last year at dusk was ISO 1600 and f2-3.5, got some great shots !!!
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Just to check, what time will the rituals for Thaipusam begin? From what I understand the rituals start very early in the morning, or possibly even from midnight? Could someone more familiar with Thaipusam please enlighten?

Also, are we allowed to simply enter the temples during the rituals, or do we have to get permission from the temple, etc?
    .my flickr :: .my tumblr
    D90 : Nikon 50mm f/1.8 : Nikon 105mm f/4 : Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

Quote Originally Posted by brkit View Post
    Just to check, what time will the rituals for Thaipusam begin? From what I understand the rituals start very early in the morning, or possibly even from midnight? Could someone more familiar with Thaipusam please enlighten?

Also, are we allowed to simply enter the temples during the rituals, or do we have to get permission from the temple, etc?
    Is the procession called SILVER CHARIOT PROCESSION or SRI TANDAYUTHAPANI PROCESSION?
    I dun understand, the website saying it's 7 Feb, but when I download the pdf doc, the Silver Chariot Procession is on 6 Feb, while Sri Tandayuthapani is on 7.
    Which one? and what is Annathanam?

when in doubt....

just shoot all.

Where is the starting place and any tips for capturing this event?
    Nikon D200 Nikon20f/2.8D Nikon50f/1.4D Tamron18-200f/3.5-6.3

no footwear inside the temple, bring a plastic bag if you dont want to leave your footwear outside.
    please have some respect, last year thaipusam i saw some photographer still wearing sandals inside the temple

Quote Originally Posted by masrudyn
    Where is the starting place and any tips for capturing this event?
    They start from the temple near farrer road mrt and ends at the temple at tank road. The procession goes from little India to selegie to dhoby ghaut mrt to penang road to tank road.

Every year ends late at night but last year ended earlier because many of them brought their kavadi to Malaysia to celebrate instead. According to an Indian stranger i spoke to, the lower participation was because of the government restriction on blasting loud music, drums and chanting. Last year was quite quiet even though some people still chant while walking.
    Last edited by cowmera; 16th January 2012 at 07:30 PM.
    I'm a cow with a camera

Quote Originally Posted by pitoy View Post
    no footwear inside the temple, bring a plastic bag if you dont want to leave your footwear outside.
    please have some respect, last year thaipusam i saw some photographer still wearing sandals inside the temple
    Thanks for the advice!
    .my flickr :: .my tumblr
    D90 : Nikon 50mm f/1.8 : Nikon 105mm f/4 : Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

BTW, what is a good lens to bring for this event? is 24-70 good enough or 70-200?
    Nikon D200 Nikon20f/2.8D Nikon50f/1.4D Tamron18-200f/3.5-6.3

Quote Originally Posted by cowmera View Post
    They start from the temple near farrer road mrt and ends at the temple at tank road. The procession goes from little India to selegie to dhoby ghaut mrt to penang road to tank road.

Every year ends late at night but last year ended earlier because many of them brought their kavadi to Malaysia to celebrate instead. According to an Indian stranger i spoke to, the lower participation was because of the government restriction on blasting loud music, drums and chanting. Last year was quite quiet even though some people still chant while walking.
    thanks for the info. BTW I just read that the procession leaving the temple is at 2AM. What time did you arrive that time?

Quote Originally Posted by SCULDER View Post
    thanks for the info. BTW I just read that the procession leaving the temple is at 2AM. What time did you arrive that time?
    Which year are you referring to? I used to work near the dhoby ghaut MRT area. During my time with that company, i arrived before 9am for work, leave work between 6-8pm. I see devotees in the morning,during lunch and after work. Based on what i saw, there were more devotees in the evening. Those who walked in the day looked tired and lethargic.

How about going around late noon, shoot the day and night procession? It's fun to watch and see the different kavadis. Move around until you find your favorite spot.
    Last edited by cowmera; 19th January 2012 at 04:36 PM.
    I'm a cow with a camera

Quote Originally Posted by masrudyn View Post
    BTW, what is a good lens to bring for this event? is 24-70 good enough or 70-200?
    Not sure about your shooting style but i see that you have a 50mm so bring it along. I shot with 50mm, 18-55, 11-16 so far. I found my 50mm to be the most used.
    I'm a cow with a camera

Quote Originally Posted by cowmera View Post
    Which year are you referring to? I used to work near the dhoby ghaut MRT area. During my time with that company, i arrived before 9am for work, leave work between 6-8pm. I see devotees in the morning,during lunch and after work. Based on what i saw, there were more devotees in the evening. Those who walked in the day looked tired and lethargic.

How about going around late noon, shoot the day and night procession? It's fun to watch and see the different kavadis. Move around until you find your favorite spot.

aahhh so it'll take the whole day? Thanks for the info man!

Arrow Re: Thaipusam Festival 2012

I've been catching Thaipusam since when I was in primary school in the late 1980's.

Fast forward to last year, 2011, the Government banned loud music, chants and drums. There were a lot of unhappiness in the hindu communities as some were also detained by the police for bringing drums along.

It was mentioned that some people were complaining about the noise but this festival had been organised for many years.

As a result like the previous poster have mentioned, many now carry the kavadi at Batu Caves, Johor and Penang in Malaysia.

I'm not sure how well the Thaipusam 2012 will pan out.
    Last edited by xtemujin; 24th January 2012 at 12:27 AM.

Pardon me for asking, for this year I'm assuming that the procession and ritual starts early morning say 2am on the 7th?
    Last edited by alancwr; 2nd February 2012 at 11:37 PM.

Where is the preparation of piercing of hooks and spikes gonna be held? In Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple?

Saw the procession at raffless place... Very quiet... anyway I asked the one infront n he said thaipusam start 9pm...