Thread: Any Recommended Photography Courses ?

Default Any Recommended Photography Courses ?

Hello People

I am quite new to Photography as I received my first DSLR last Christmas. After looking thru some brochures and articles, I would like to broaden up my knowledge by signing up for Basic photography courses.

What am I looking for? I prefer out of classroom lessons that are more practically involved and interactive as this allows me to hand-on more, understand better and get acquainted with my camera quickly.

Instead of getting you to memorise scary terms like aperture, shutter speed, depth of field in the classroom, the experienced instructors can show me what they really mean and what I can do with them.

By the end of course, I will be more comfortable handling your camera and understand technical concepts from the different shooting modes to aperture and shutter speed.

I hope you guys can share some past experiences on attending courses and also recommend some good courses that are affordable. (Student budget: around $200plus )

I have looked up on the Workshop and Tutorial section, and there are only two photography schools, Knowledge Bowl and Phocus are offering classes.

Quote Originally Posted by justsochubby
    Hello People

I am quite new to Photography as I received my first DSLR last Christmas. After looking thru some brochures and articles, I would like to broaden up my knowledge by signing up for Basic photography courses.

What am I looking for? I prefer out of classroom lessons that are more practically involved and interactive as this allows me to hand-on more, understand better and get acquainted with my camera quickly.

Instead of getting you to memorise scary terms like aperture, shutter speed, depth of field in the classroom, the experienced instructors can show me what they really mean and what I can do with them.

By the end of course, I will be more comfortable handling your camera and understand technical concepts from the different shooting modes to aperture and shutter speed.

I hope you guys can share some past experiences on attending courses and also recommend some good courses that are affordable. (Student budget: around $200plus )

I have looked up on the Workshop and Tutorial section, and there are only two photography schools, Knowledge Bowl and Phocus are offering classes.
    You bot ur cam 1st hand right? It should come with a free basic course from the manufacturer. Go for that, but before that, read through your manual. The topics discussed will make more sense to you..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Default Re: Any Recommended Photography Courses ?

you can check Singapore Photographic Society out...

Blog Entries

Why not the try the outings here?
    Lousy de My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic

You bot ur cam 1st hand right? It should come with a free basic course from the manufacturer. Go for that, but before that, read through your manual. The topics discussed will make more sense to you..
    The basic course is just teaching you the functions of the camera only.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange
    Why not the try the outings here?
    Ohh they have, how should I go abt doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by justsochubby View Post
    Ohh they have, how should I go abt doing it?
    Read the threads carefully,
    follow the instructions closely,
    show up the outing promptly.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    OMG! I saw it. Actually it is quite obvious now. HAHA Okay thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Actually I am still quite new to photography, is it suitable for me to join the outing? I am worried that it may cause inconvenience to the other members.

Blog Entries

Actually I am still quite new to photography, is it suitable for me to join the outing? I am worried that it may cause inconvenience to the other members.
    They will welcome you, just follow them shoot around, anything you don't.know you can ask, I'm sure they are willing to share.
    Lousy de My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by justsochubby View Post
    The basic course is just teaching you the functions of the camera only.
    Really? I went for the Sony course and the instructor, Darren Francis, did talk on the exposure triangle (i think this is what it's called) and how each factor affects the photo etc.. So i thought all basic courses are similar..

Why not you read these links first? I read them when i first started photography and found them pretty useful.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...s-newbies.html
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...s-newbies.html

(Credits to the respective contributors)
    Last edited by Prince Photogenic; 13th January 2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: citation =)
    Alpha

well... i heard that Canon free courses just show you how to change settings and some bells and whistles. nothing much.

nothing like the Sony free courses that show you actually how use your camera and touches on the basics of exposure.

anyways, whatever the paid courses can show you, you can find on youtube, articles and reviews online.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    well... i heard that Canon free courses just show you how to change settings and some bells and whistles. nothing much.

nothing like the Sony free courses that show you actually how use your camera and touches on the basics of exposure.

anyways, whatever the paid courses can show you, you can find on youtube, articles and reviews online.
    I see.. i thought mostly quite the same.. i found the sony course to be really useful even though it's short..

The instructor even allowed us to molest his gear.. lol
    Alpha

You can save some money if you make extra effort such as borrowing books in the library, read from online..videos. Or best if you can get someone who knows how to teach you. Since you only want to learn basic..info can be found everywhere just on your finger tip.

It would not be trouble for the other members, I'm sure they won't mind showing you what you camera can do if you ask them. Best of all, outings are free.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post

I went to the Canon free course when I first bought my DSLR. They explain the basic things in the DSRL, ISO, aperture, shutter speed, metering option, auto focus option etc... Basically most of the thing in the menu. Good for newbie.
    Canon EOS 600D | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 100 L | 50mm 1.8II | BG-E8