Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 71

Thread: Why do you gaffered up your camera/lens ?

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Simei
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    come come, since you all so interested, i'll show you a master piece.

    Eh show behind also leh

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Kobe (Japan)
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Thanks for posting Drudkh. Looks like a lot of work, quite impressive. By the way have you tried de-gaffering your equipment after months or years of use ? Is it all sticky or something ? Quite scary to me actually...

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    this cam is not mine, belonged to a friend of mine, also a CSer. He took 4 nights to complete it.



  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The 13th floor
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Let others say what they wish. Though it is not my taste to gaffer up the whole camera, however, I think this is good work!! The workmanship is superb, Well Done!

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    this cam is not mine, belonged to a friend of mine, also a CSer. He took 4 nights to complete it.


    Alamak! Waste 4 night gaffering???
    Another question, even if you gaffer your DSLR until 'sui-sui' after 5 years how much it still worth le??? (I saw one owner of Nikon D1 gaffer until damn 'chio' and his condition is 99% new, but guess how much he sell to TCW a couple of mths back???? It is only $1250....guess the price he paid when the 'Great' Nikon D1 was launch a couple of years back???)
    Wonder if those manufacturer will still produce spare parts of DSLR after a couple of years after the DSLR stopped production?

  6. #46
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    Thanks Drudkh for posting the pic! Wonder how they can gaffer so nicely, avoiding buttons and stuffs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    this cam is not mine, belonged to a friend of mine, also a CSer. He took 4 nights to complete it.



  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default

    Mummified 300D.

    Have to say though, great job with the gaffer tape. Now, the question is, can it beat espn's BaZhang©? espn, post your Bazhang© pics for comparison leh.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Gaffer... gaffer...

    I guess I only gaffer those parts which my hands will come into contact with. The grip (da damned plastic layering on my 300D's grip's flaking off!!) and the wide part with the selector buttons where the thumb goes.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Alamak! Waste 4 night gaffering???
    Another question, even if you gaffer your DSLR until 'sui-sui' after 5 years how much it still worth le??? (I saw one owner of Nikon D1 gaffer until damn 'chio' and his condition is 99% new, but guess how much he sell to TCW a couple of mths back???? It is only $1250....guess the price he paid when the 'Great' Nikon D1 was launch a couple of years back???)
    Wonder if those manufacturer will still produce spare parts of DSLR after a couple of years after the DSLR stopped production?
    well, imagine how much the same D1 would fetch if it was brought in with all kinds of scratches and dings perhaps the shop will just tell him to go back and use it as a paper weight! but it's true though, DSLRs depreciate in value very fast.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The 13th floor
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Gaffer... gaffer...

    I guess I only gaffer those parts which my hands will come into contact with. The grip (da damned plastic layering on my 300D's grip's flaking off!!) and the wide part with the selector buttons where the thumb goes.
    me too, make my 300D better in gripping, cos i got sweating palm.

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dry cabinet!
    Posts
    1,757

    Default

    HA HA...thanks Drudkh for "promoting" my silver 300D

    Anyway...initally I wanted to tape over e buttons. After taping my DOF button, I find it not tat easy to press.
    So I decided not to tape over the buttons (even though taping over is easier)... I used a sharp tip soldering iron to burn through the gaffer tape and trim the burnt edges to get a nice rounded holes.
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The 13th floor
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gryphon
    HA HA...thanks Drudkh for "promoting" my silver 300D

    Anyway...initally I wanted to tape over e buttons. After taping my DOF button, I find it not tat easy to press.
    So I decided not to tape over the buttons (even though taping over is easier)... I used a sharp tip soldering iron to burn through the gaffer tape and trim the burnt edges to get a nice rounded holes.
    Do u tape 1st then trim OR the other way round?

  13. #53
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default

    can ask what did you use to trim the burnt edges? penknife?

    also i noticed from drudkh's photos that your 300d gaffer seems to use only ONE piece of gaffer for behind, or at least very few pieces. How did you manipulate one piece to fit so nicely in all the weird nooks and cranies? I would have thot the easier but uglier way was to use many small pieces to cover up the weird shapes n sizes.

    cheers!

    Quote Originally Posted by gryphon
    HA HA...thanks Drudkh for "promoting" my silver 300D

    Anyway...initally I wanted to tape over e buttons. After taping my DOF button, I find it not tat easy to press.
    So I decided not to tape over the buttons (even though taping over is easier)... I used a sharp tip soldering iron to burn through the gaffer tape and trim the burnt edges to get a nice rounded holes.

  14. #54

    Default

    gaffer is to use in stealth mode which is as inconspicuous as possible. also makes the user look cool.thas why u should buy black lens hehe!

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    West side of S'pore
    Posts
    5,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    gaffer is to use in stealth mode which is as inconspicuous as possible. also makes the user look cool.thas why u should buy black lens hehe!
    Not necessarily must buy black lar....thats the purpose of gaffer tape! Can also gaffer up your white lens.

  16. #56

    Default

    risky to tape up white parts cos the paint may come off unexpectedly. but who cares la

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    Well, if u're going to a rough country, it might pay to gaffer ur stuff up.

    Ask urself, would thieves target a camera that's shiny silver looking all chio and beautiful den a camera that's all gaffered up, bits and pieces looking very pathetic?

  18. #58

    Default

    unless the thief is also a knowledgeable photog then he will move in straight for the gaffered camera hehe! but such case maybe not common la

  19. #59

    Default

    I'm just being silly

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    I'm just being silly
    Opps, you forgot to gaffer the screen!!!
    Wait your screen kena scratches, no value liao lo....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •