Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you gaffered up your camera/lens ?

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    come come, since you all so interested, i'll show you a master piece.

Eh show behind also leh

Thanks for posting Drudkh. Looks like a lot of work, quite impressive. By the way have you tried de-gaffering your equipment after months or years of use ? Is it all sticky or something ? Quite scary to me actually...

this cam is not mine, belonged to a friend of mine, also a CSer. He took 4 nights to complete it.

Let others say what they wish. Though it is not my taste to gaffer up the whole camera, however, I think this is good work!! The workmanship is superb, Well Done!

this cam is not mine, belonged to a friend of mine, also a CSer. He took 4 nights to complete it.

Alamak! Waste 4 night gaffering???
    Another question, even if you gaffer your DSLR until 'sui-sui' after 5 years how much it still worth le??? (I saw one owner of Nikon D1 gaffer until damn 'chio' and his condition is 99% new, but guess how much he sell to TCW a couple of mths back???? It is only $1250....guess the price he paid when the 'Great' Nikon D1 was launch a couple of years back???)
    Wonder if those manufacturer will still produce spare parts of DSLR after a couple of years after the DSLR stopped production?

vince123123
    Guests

Thanks Drudkh for posting the pic! Wonder how they can gaffer so nicely, avoiding buttons and stuffs.

Mummified 300D.

Have to say though, great job with the gaffer tape. Now, the question is, can it beat espn's BaZhang©? espn, post your Bazhang© pics for comparison leh.

Gaffer... gaffer...

I guess I only gaffer those parts which my hands will come into contact with. The grip (da damned plastic layering on my 300D's grip's flaking off!!) and the wide part with the selector buttons where the thumb goes.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    Alamak! Waste 4 night gaffering???
    Another question, even if you gaffer your DSLR until 'sui-sui' after 5 years how much it still worth le??? (I saw one owner of Nikon D1 gaffer until damn 'chio' and his condition is 99% new, but guess how much he sell to TCW a couple of mths back???? It is only $1250....guess the price he paid when the 'Great' Nikon D1 was launch a couple of years back???)
    Wonder if those manufacturer will still produce spare parts of DSLR after a couple of years after the DSLR stopped production?
    well, imagine how much the same D1 would fetch if it was brought in with all kinds of scratches and dings perhaps the shop will just tell him to go back and use it as a paper weight! but it's true though, DSLRs depreciate in value very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Gaffer... gaffer...

I guess I only gaffer those parts which my hands will come into contact with. The grip (da damned plastic layering on my 300D's grip's flaking off!!) and the wide part with the selector buttons where the thumb goes.
    me too, make my 300D better in gripping, cos i got sweating palm.

HA HA...thanks Drudkh for "promoting" my silver 300D

Anyway...initally I wanted to tape over e buttons. After taping my DOF button, I find it not tat easy to press.
    So I decided not to tape over the buttons (even though taping over is easier)... I used a sharp tip soldering iron to burn through the gaffer tape and trim the burnt edges to get a nice rounded holes.
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon

Anyway...initally I wanted to tape over e buttons. After taping my DOF button, I find it not tat easy to press.
    So I decided not to tape over the buttons (even though taping over is easier)... I used a sharp tip soldering iron to burn through the gaffer tape and trim the burnt edges to get a nice rounded holes.
    Do u tape 1st then trim OR the other way round?

vince123123
    Guests

can ask what did you use to trim the burnt edges? penknife?

also i noticed from drudkh's photos that your 300d gaffer seems to use only ONE piece of gaffer for behind, or at least very few pieces. How did you manipulate one piece to fit so nicely in all the weird nooks and cranies? I would have thot the easier but uglier way was to use many small pieces to cover up the weird shapes n sizes.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon

gaffer is to use in stealth mode which is as inconspicuous as possible. also makes the user look cool.thas why u should buy black lens hehe!

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    gaffer is to use in stealth mode which is as inconspicuous as possible. also makes the user look cool.thas why u should buy black lens hehe!
    Not necessarily must buy black lar....thats the purpose of gaffer tape! Can also gaffer up your white lens.

risky to tape up white parts cos the paint may come off unexpectedly. but who cares la

Well, if u're going to a rough country, it might pay to gaffer ur stuff up.

Ask urself, would thieves target a camera that's shiny silver looking all chio and beautiful den a camera that's all gaffered up, bits and pieces looking very pathetic?

unless the thief is also a knowledgeable photog then he will move in straight for the gaffered camera hehe! but such case maybe not common la

I'm just being silly

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam
    I'm just being silly
    Opps, you forgot to gaffer the screen!!!
    Wait your screen kena scratches, no value liao lo....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast