Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you gaffered up your camera/lens ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H0
    dont forget to gaffer the view finder and the front and back of the lens so that you wont scratch the surfaces
    Yeah man! Should tape up the viewfinder and front and back of the lens to preserve the "original" look man....so it will still remains "virgin" when you sell it and fetch a higher price hor..

dont forget to gaffer the view finder and the front and back of the lens so that you wont scratch the surfaces
    Following your advice to the last letter, so we are to also gaffer the UV filter, CF cards, camera battery, camera strap etc as well?

What about the camera box? You know how some buyers of second hand equipments like to buy the camera in its original box.

Jason H0
    Guests

ya thanks for remainder me. we shoulds go also tape out the camera and lens boxes as well together with its plastic wrapping..

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Following your advice to the last letter, so we are to also gaffer the UV filter, CF cards, camera battery, camera strap etc as well?

What about the camera box? You know how some buyers of second hand equipments like to buy the camera in its original box.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion

How about Laminating the Instruction Booklet too! I guess some "camera-playing" fans should start pratice that?! Wait Instruction Boolet kena water or anything also heart-pain, right?
    Yes, the rechargeable batteries also need to gaffer also to prevent scratches!

Blog Entries

How about shrink wrapping the whole camera, waterproof, air tight.
    Don't need a drybox anymore, and when it rains and everyone runs
    for shelter you can stand there with your waterproofed camera.
    So garang.

Jason H0
    Guests

wait... the hands that hold the camera and lens plus the dry cabinet and its trays also also must be gaffared less they cause the surfaces to tarnish.

at this rate ... we must as well not unpack the items from their original shrink-wrapped packaging .. just gaffar the entire package.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    How about Laminating the Instruction Booklet too! I guess some "camera-playing" fans should start pratice that?! Wait Instruction Boolet kena water or anything also heart-pain, right?
    Yes, the rechargeable batteries also need to gaffer also to prevent scratches!

Default Gaffer

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    espn post a pic of ur gaffered cam leh, i wanna see how u pros do it
    tks!
    pros don't do it, they don't have time. Make money more important.

I am the King of Gaffar. To know the secrets of gaffaring, you must Kow Tow to me.

ya thanks for remainder me. we shoulds go also tape out the camera and lens boxes as well together with its plastic wrapping..
    Woah! In this cae buy one camera must buy 10 rolls of Gaffer Tapes.

Where can we buy Nikon or Canon Special Gaffered Edition to save the trouble for us to tape up everything?

Those real pro where got time to gaffer their camera...at the most scratches scratches la no big ldeal to them as they easily make back the money. And somemore some are even sponsored somemore...
    I know some guys out there are making their camera looks different so as to act 'Lau-Jiao' (old bird). But pls la..cover until like **** like that!
    To me, stop wasting the money and time on stupid gaffering thing, spend more time and money on taking photos.

lol! what's the big deal here guys?

some people leave the plastic wrappers on their TV remote controllers, some people tape up their photographic equipment. 'gaffer-ing' your camera doesn't necessarily equate to the owner spending less time on other 'serious' photographic pursuits.

well, don't be surprised if they turn around and ask you back "why don't you spend more time taking photographs, rather than posting comments on something as trivia as gaffer tapes?"

even if some people tape up their cameras for vanity reasons, SO BE IT! no big deal!

Deregistered

Just like:

- 23 people chasing after 1 ball is stupid
    - typing behind a computer everyday is dumb
    - spending 20K on music is crazy
    - spending 200K on a home you spend average 10 hours a day.

It never ends, you have your opinions, you think gaffer is bo liao, it's bo liao, you think scratches are cool and resale value is something protected by gaffer, it's ok, you think what you think, ultimately, nobody's out to change nobody's mind...

Just like some think Lecia is everything, looks down on others, or those from prosumers upgrade to dSLRs look down on prosumers, then upgrade to MF look down on dSLRs etc etc, it never ends.

It's all about ego.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bgat
    I have seen or heard many users gaffer here gaffer there on their cameras and lenses which are so beautifully/ergonomically crafted.

Why take away the effort/pride of the camera/lens designers and the joy of yourself and others admiring such a piece of photographic art?

Your reasons please....
    Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    some ppl gaffer it for better griping/handling. afriad sweat might do something to the cam? i don't do that at all. one day i might.
    I thought that bgat was on the way to finding out the answer to his question.
    But after Drudkh provided a helpfull reason; within a short time,
    people with no sense that a good workman looks after his tools, started to mock it all !
    Probably the same people never wash their car...a polish would be RIGHT out.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

i gaffer because i take pride in taping up my equipment just like some people are proud of their photography skills. My equipment looks unique and unidentifiable. I get high when people ask what kind of lens/camera i am using because they look so different.

Looks like I gotta gaffer my Black Paint Leica MP, 50mm Summilux, 90mm Summicron and my Leicavit liao....
    and oh yes, almost forgot, got to gaffer my Billingham bag also wait kena scratches how le???

Deregistered

Looks like I gotta gaffer my Black Paint Leica MP, 50mm Summilux, 90mm Summicron and my Leicavit liao....
    and oh yes, almost forgot, got to gaffer my Billingham bag also wait kena scratches how le???
    Why would we care if you want to or not? If you want to, go ahead, nobody's stopping you, if you don't want, then don't.

What you want or don't want to do doesn't have to be imposed on others. What's right to you doesn't mean it's right to others, similarly in the perspective of viewing an image, it might work for you but not for others.

A lot of talking, no pictures... Common guys, show us the results, post some pics !
    (even bah zhang also can... oops )

Eh.. the forum getting more heaty everyday eh? Haha... CS has gone "high" over past weeks... Hmmm.. why not someone kind enough post a guide on how to gaffer? Then the reason to why or whether you need to gaffer is out ..... I personally would like to learn how to do it haha.. i search around keep seeing black tapes for sale only ...

come come, since you all so interested, i'll show you a master piece.

i gaffer the following photography equipment :-

1) Tripod
    2) meter
    3) speedlite
    4) laptop
    5) card reader
    6) cables
    8) CDs
    9) monopod
    10) battery pack
    11) enlarger & lens
    12) projector
    13) developing tank
    14) bags
    15) strap
    16) PDA
    17) portable storage device

I am also thinking of gaffaring my car too

What else do you want to gaffar xxxboy?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast