Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1st DSLR purchase...feedbacks/advice needed

Default Re: 1st DSLR purchase...feedbacks/advice needed

no need jump ship, each got each good but if I pay 50k income tax per year. I also confirm buy big boys coz 1 reason is I can get 3rd party or its own brand of lens from MS color since I stayed near.
    Sony A7II FE 28 Zeiss 55 FE 90 Sigma 150-600C

Quote Originally Posted by simon6z View Post
    no need jump ship, each got each good but if I pay 50k income tax per year. I also confirm buy big boys coz 1 reason is I can get 3rd party or its own brand of lens from MS color since I stayed near.
    lol..... are you implying they are expensive?

but well, we have quite a number of rich singaporeans though

Can say so can also not like that say,each got its own master. Products are made to be bought and used not made and pai swee
    Sony A7II FE 28 Zeiss 55 FE 90 Sigma 150-600C

Quote Originally Posted by Frontiers

neither do i.

probably the branding.
    No need to rubbish other brands or insult others who don't use what you use. Each has its own merits.

Quote Originally Posted by limwsv View Post
    I went through roughly the set of considerations before settling on my Canon 600D.
    Reasons why I went Canon 600D despite the superiority of some of the other brands out there:
    (1) Lots of lens out there for Canon.. The cropped body can use both the EF and EFS range of lens. The whole gamut from fisheye (Samyang 8mm), Landscape (Canon 10 - 22mm), General Fast (Tamron 17 - 50 f2.8), Macro (Tamron 90mm 1:1), Portrait (Sigma 50 - 150mm f2.8), Super Telephoto (Tamron 70 - 300mm)
    (2) Value consideration as there's lots of BNS activity in Canon lens. Also, 3rd party like Tamron, Sigma, Tokina and Samyang are all competitive in selling Canon mount lens. And sometimes produce equivalent if not superior lens at better prices than Canon.
    (3) Comparable if not superior system to the other Brands. So, Canon may not have the best low ISO, but it is good enough to hang in there. It may not have HDR or Panaroma in-camera, but workflow can substitute for the lack.
    the mentioned lens... other brands also have. No body can afford all the lens canon has to offer so why make this as part of the "benefit" when getting a camera?

for my case is simple - i buy a camera at that price i expect to have no need for any extra workflow for the lack at minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by esoeij View Post
    No need to rubbish other brands or insult others who don't use what you use. Each has its own merits.
    i use Canon 500D btw. If you considered that an insult, you should be less uptight.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek
    Hi all guys, i got my camera.... and the camera which i choosen is........

*drums rolling~~~*

Pentax K5

I asked salesman to let me try both the A65 and K5 to compare, when i first grabbed the K5 i somehow knew that's gonna be the one i want.
    It feels so solid, and there's the weight presence which is not heavy yet gives you a feel that its a tank!!! Yea its a mag alloy body, weather
    proof-ed one maybe that's why it made a difference. Played around with both, tried to shoot both and again i like what i see tru the optical viewfinder
    of the K5 more. K5 cant shoot like A65 which is capable of 10fps, but at 7fps, the K5 is not any much weaker either, considering the fact i dont need
    that insane about of burst rate. Its very fine with me.

Sensor wise its using the same sensor as the D7000 and nex5n, a camera which i previously owned and liked
    a lot.

Turning of lens also feels more solid comparing to the A65. In terms of specification wise, A65 may hold the upper hand on paper, but heck!
    the K5 feels great on my hands! Comparing the feel with A65, A65 feels like a toy in my hands (no offense just being candid).

Maybe the A77 with a similar built body would feel the same as the K5, but its body alone without lens, is a massive 1.6k++ to 1.7k+ which is way over
    my budget. Hence i decided to go along with the K5 even thou it has fixed screen unlike the A65 which has a cool flip out screen. Main reason
    i choose the K5 is because it feels so darn good on my hands. Every single buttons are easily reachable with ease without moving much of my thumb,
    and the grip is perfect for my hands.

My choice doesn't mean the K5 is superior over A65 nor does it implies superiority of Pentax over the respective Sony. Its just i feel good holding,
    pressing, viewing (tru the OVF) and shooting the K5 more. Its just my personal preference of feel..

Got this new set K5 body at AP and got a 2nd hand 18-135mm weather proof lens from a nice guy at CS. Thanks to the seller for good deal.

And once again i have to thank everyone who is here, has been here, gave their 2cents on my thread. Be it i chosen your recommendations or not, still, I
    fully appreciate your (you guys) advices. Thank you very much for being really helpful and patient in helping me in making my decision.

Thank you!!!
    Congrats! You've obviously done your research and has gotten a lot of feedback. You won't regret your choice.

Welcome to the world of in-body IS.. Lol.. Have fun and keep shooting.
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

no one rubbished anything. you're thinking too much.

honestly i don't find Canon cameras all that appealing. to me it's just hype and typical herd mindset that makes you wanna buy it.

but then again.. i do find that the shutter on the 1Ds mkIII sounds so nice and pleasing.

but that's a camera in a different class from the consumer grade cameras... and perfectly my own view.

To all: thank you guys. I fully appreciate all the help and kind advices. I need to start to learn how to use my camera before I forget about the basics of photography lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontiers View Post
    to be honest, not really difficult as long you know how

tomorrow gt pentax outing do join them if you are interested

thanks for even bother to try out Pentax. Alot of people shun away because of the brand which is sad.
    Hi frontiers bro, I don't think I'll join the outing as I don't even know how to operate the camera. Coming from a much lesser button n dial nex5n its a lil intimating. I think people go wanting to shoot something nice and me going would only be a liability as I'll be asking them every second "how do you set the iso? How do you view pictures you just saw and delete... How do you blah blah".

As for thanking me for trying Pentax, sure it's branding is not as exposed to the market as canon and Nikon but its a well known brand for sure to those who are really interested in photography. If I'm not wrong Pentax has been making cameras for quite a long time... Every brand is good in it's own ways, so about brands, to me it's really mostly down to the feel of holding it.
    Last edited by Halfgeek; 14th January 2012 at 08:02 AM.

i use Canon 500D btw. If you considered that an insult, you should be less uptight.
    You said you do not understand why someone would choose nikon or canon and that someone who did must have done so because of the branding (only?). So why did you choose Canon then?

I am not insulted or upset btw. Maybe my language was too direct. Oh well.
    Last edited by esoeij; 14th January 2012 at 07:50 AM.

Heck..everyone has their own reason of getting any particular brand..dosent matter..

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW
    Heck..everyone has their own reason of getting any particular brand..dosent matter..
    Yeah. TS short listed Sony n Canon but chose Pentax in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek View Post
    To all: thank you guys. I fully appreciate all the help and kind advices. I need to start to learn how to use my camera before I forget about the basics of photography lol.

Hi frontiers bro, I don't think I'll join the outing as I don't even know how to operate the camera. Coming from a much lesser button n dial nex5n its a lil intimating. I think people go wanting to shoot something nice and me going would only be a liability as I'll be asking them every second "how do you set the iso? How do you view pictures you just saw and delete... How do you blah blah".

As for thanking me for trying Pentax, sure it's branding is not as exposed to the market as canon and Nikon but its a well known brand for sure to those who are really interested in photography. If I'm not wrong Pentax has been making cameras for quite a long time... Every brand is good in it's own ways, so about brands, to me it's really mostly down to the feel of holding it.

Congrats
    I'm sure the camera will serve you well.

You really should join the outings to get to know the camera operations faster.

Ok, see you in an outing one of these days.
    Feel free to post in the Pentax sub-forums of PM if you have any queries.
    Cheers

Yeah. TS short listed Sony n Canon but chose Pentax in the end!
    Esoeji, try to pm you but your mail box is full...

nice.. wanted to try pentax k5 too.. but its is too exp in thailand for its body only. ended up with A65. a model which i love it a lot too...

You said you do not understand why someone would choose nikon or canon and that someone who did must have done so because of the branding (only?). So why did you choose Canon then?

I am not insulted or upset btw. Maybe my language was too direct. Oh well.
    i tot it was really good due to branding and popularity but i think i hv made a really bad choice and is getting a change.

somehow i feel that alot of canon users are extremely uptight about others pov. is there a reason for it?

is juz a forum, canon users can state their fav brand positive features but cant accept the negative portion of it.. hmmm...

my 2cents.
    Last edited by Frontiers; 14th January 2012 at 11:38 AM.

i tot it was really good due to branding and popularity but i think i hv made a really bad choice and is getting a change.

somehow i feel that alot of canon users are extremely uptight about others pov. is there a reason for it?

is juz a forum, canon users can state their fav brand positive features but cant accept the negative portion of it.. hmmm...

my 2cents.
    Nobody likes being accused of buying just because they were looking at brands. Realise that if you had phrased it as want to sell away camera as it is too big for me, or too slow for me versus want to sell camera as I do not like holding something that is good only because it's famous
    Canon 600D / EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM / EF 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by Frontiers View Post

my 2cents.
    To be fair. not only Canon users. Its not unusual for people to stand by and "protect" the brand they are using. Just let them be. Why not walk away and give yourself a break. Move on.
    Last edited by TWmilkteaTW; 14th January 2012 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Congrats
    I'm sure the camera will serve you well.

You really should join the outings to get to know the camera operations faster.

Ok, see you in an outing one of these days.
    Feel free to post in the Pentax sub-forums of PM if you have any queries.
    Cheers
    Hey bro! Thanks a lot to you. You helped me a lot in my doubts... Haha I prefer to meet you guys when I know to operate it. Feel uncomfortable bringing it out not knowing basic operations of the cam. For sure will meet up with you and fellow pentaxians in the very near future!

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    To be fair. not only Canon users. Its not unusual for people to stand by and "protect" the brand they are using. Just let them be. Why not walk away and give yourself a break. Move on.
    but well, every forum i went to only canon users made e biggest ruckus over it. so you cant blame me for stereotyping em.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast