Thread: Need advise on food photography

Default Need advise on food photography

Actually i'm trying to compile my catalogue of cakes, pastries n bread. But not sure if I shld take frm side, top or whats e best view? Need some advise. Also any specific background that i shld use like white to make the cakes stand out???

look ard at posters and learn lo....

if digital, take a few views....wats most important in product shoots i feel is tt the cake muz look like a cake la....

for cakes, slightly tilt at an angle and take from another 45 angle from the tilted plane...

cheers...

Blog Entries

lighting is important
    the cake must say "EAT ME!"

ok thanks, i'll experiment around

do not take the cake from a top view. it will make the food very flat and very much '2D'.

try to shoot from the side, but, raising the angle slightly higher so that the top view of the cake can be seen as well as the side view of the cake. this will make the food more dynamic and '3D'.

ur background should not be more 'eye-catching' than the food itself, meaning, keep it clean and simple. as for the food layout, it varies.
    u might like to place some mat under the cake or some table cloth, etc. etc. or just take the shot on a plain white surface.

do not direct flash onto ur food as it will kill off the shadow details and make the food looks really flat. try to soften the flash output. leave some shadow details.

some simple shots from such an angle...

have fun experimenting!!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

flip magazines and food books to get a better idea of food, some like drinks with layers of space for ice, bits of granish look better viewed striaght on. You could pick up lots of ideas from any bookstore

nice pictures you got there cheesecake!

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    flip magazines and food books to get a better idea of food, some like drinks with layers of space for ice, bits of granish look better viewed striaght on. You could pick up lots of ideas from any bookstore

nice pictures you got there cheesecake!
    hohoho!
    thanks B&S...

jus copy the pattern and style from magazines and recipe books in Kinokuniya!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Default heheheh

eat the food,

and then worry about shooting it later..

Quote Originally Posted by F5user
    eat the food,

and then worry about shooting it later..

i never eat the food i shoot, yucks when everyone has 'touch' or ;'touch up' with it. You also dun know what kind of stuff we spray on the food.

If you shoot a lot of food you will not want to eat the food. Because they ether give you food pisoning or they are raw or they not the same thing but made to look like that food.