Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 122

Thread: First Step into Photography

  1. #81
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: First Step into Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by zapit View Post
    Woot! Finally bought the 60d!
    haha, enjoy your new toy!!!!

    beginning of the BBB virus =)
    Lousy de My Flickr

  2. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange

    haha, enjoy your new toy!!!!

    beginning of the BBB virus =)
    +1

    Enjoy your new camera..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  3. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    4,532

    Default Re: First Step into Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by zapit View Post
    Woot! Finally bought the 60d!
    next buy in the list

    1) Bag(s)
    2) cleaning kit
    3) more lens with filter
    4) Memory card
    5) tripod
    6)etc etc

    LOL

  4. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zapit
    Woot! Finally bought the 60d!
    Have fun!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  5. #85
    Member Valkarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: First Step into Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by zapit View Post
    Woot! Finally bought the 60d!
    and it all begins.... =D
    Canon 600D / EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM / EF 50 f1.8 II

  6. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Errz

    next buy in the list

    1) Bag(s)
    2) cleaning kit
    3) more lens with filter
    4) Memory card
    5) tripod
    6)etc etc

    LOL
    I bought a vanguard bag before realizing canon give free bag.. A friend of mine will get cleaning kit for me online. Uv filter I bought on the spot. There is a free memory card. The next immediate item to be bought are tripod and dry cabinet. Carbon fiber like too expensive while aluminum is too heavy. Leaning towards investing in a light and compact and sturdy tripod, haiz. Cabinet will get 30L or 50L. Will search on forum for home delivery for cabinet. UWA will put on hold til after CNY after much experimenting.

  7. #87
    Senior Member oracle0711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Settling down in Punggol
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: First Step into Photography

    For tripod, regardless of material and brand, make sure it is able to the weight of your camera and lens. While we all want to travel light, there's always a sacrifice we need to make. Don't regret and waste money later as a result of compromising for the right equipment.

    Quote Originally Posted by zapit View Post
    I bought a vanguard bag before realizing canon give free bag.. A friend of mine will get cleaning kit for me online. Uv filter I bought on the spot. There is a free memory card. The next immediate item to be bought are tripod and dry cabinet. Carbon fiber like too expensive while aluminum is too heavy. Leaning towards investing in a light and compact and sturdy tripod, haiz. Cabinet will get 30L or 50L. Will search on forum for home delivery for cabinet. UWA will put on hold til after CNY after much experimenting.

  8. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711
    For tripod, regardless of material and brand, make sure it is able to the weight of your camera and lens. While we all want to travel light, there's always a sacrifice we need to make. Don't regret and waste money later as a result of compromising for the right equipment.
    Thanks for the advice. Is there a maximum weight limit given for the tripod or any steps to ensure the tripod is able to take the weight of the equipment?

  9. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zapit
    Thanks for the advice. Is there a maximum weight limit given for the tripod or any steps to ensure the tripod is able to take the weight of the equipment?
    Yes, the weight limit is different for every model. You can check out the maximum loads online before heading down to try out

  10. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86

    Yes, the weight limit is different for every model. You can check out the maximum loads online before heading down to try out
    Hmm but don't most camera +lens add up to less than 3kg? With so many choices out there, I am getting a headache...

  11. #91
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: First Step into Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by zapit View Post
    Hmm but don't most camera +lens add up to less than 3kg? With so many choices out there, I am getting a headache...
    Well, sometimes do take into considerations future upgrades that may potentially go above 3kg. And regarding the max load, some brands tend to overstate what it can really hold, the easiest way to test it out is to go to the shops with your heavies load and see if it "sinks".

    For brand & model considerations, I have 2 in my list (doesn't mean that the rest are no good)
    - The commonly seen setup: Manfrotto 190XPROB + 496rc2 Ballhead (if got $ go for 190 CXPROB, Carbon Fiber)
    - Sirui T/N/R series + (at least) K10X ballhead. The more budget brand..I like the T series for it's compactness, but loses out on the max height when needed....
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  12. #92

    Default Re: First Step into Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by zapit View Post
    Woot! Finally bought the 60d!
    Are you the guy who got this at Alan photo funan with another friend ytd at about 6pm?
    Last edited by Halfgeek; 16th January 2012 at 08:30 AM.

  13. #93
    Senior Member oracle0711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Settling down in Punggol
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: First Step into Photography

    Tripods come in various designs and also ability to manage different load of the camera and lens. When selecting a tripod, plan for future upgrade if you plan to change your photography equipment in the near future. The likelihood of getting better lenses is always a not to distant possibility - once you move past your initial stage of getting a camera.

    I have been using the Manfrotto 190 Pro B when i started out on my first DSLR many years back and it has been the first and only tripod I got for myself since then. Not carbon fibre and is definitely heavy. The tripod combine with its separate ball head is able to take a load up to 5kg. Not sure if this is a good load reference but it has been more then enough for me. In case you are wondering, the tripod is used largely for landscape and architectural shoots where I need the tripod to do pano for stitching. If you are doing macro and still life photography such as food photography .... you will definitely need one.

    Think through what you need to use it first before deciding which and what load to get.

    Hope this help and not add to the confusion ...

    Quote Originally Posted by zapit View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Is there a maximum weight limit given for the tripod or any steps to ensure the tripod is able to take the weight of the equipment?
    Last edited by oracle0711; 16th January 2012 at 08:53 AM.

  14. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711
    Tripods come in various designs and also ability to manage different load of the camera and lens. When selecting a tripod, plan for future upgrade if you plan to change your photography equipment in the near future. The likelihood of getting better lenses is always a not to distant possibility - once you move past your initial stage of getting a camera.

    I have been using the Manfrotto 190 Pro B when i started out on my first DSLR many years back and it has been the first and only tripod I got for myself since then. Not carbon fibre and is definitely heavy. The tripod combine with its separate ball head is able to take a load up to 5kg. Not sure if this is a good load reference but it has been more then enough for me. In case you are wondering, the tripod is used largely for landscape and architectural shoots where I need the tripod to do pano for stitching. If you are doing macro and still life photography such as food photography .... you will definitely need one.

    Think through what you need to use it first before deciding which and what load to get.

    Hope this help and not add to the confusion ...
    Hmm you don't really definitely need a tripod for macro and food. It's up to personal preference.

  15. #95
    Senior Member oracle0711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Settling down in Punggol
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: First Step into Photography

    I dont do macro so cannot really comment on it but for those who do macro floral photography, a tripod is a must and in addition to that other accessories to hold things in place. Food wise, it depends on what you really deem as food photography. Typically, those that you eat and you shoot kind (I am generalizing) will not necessarily require a tripod. Serious food photography that involves styling, props, strobes, etc will require the use of tripod for sharpness and precise accuracy.

    You are right to say it is personal preference because anything is about personal preference. Tripods are used for group photos too but you can still do without ...

    At the end, the point is TS needs to know what he wants to shoot and why he needs the tripod for. Therefore, making his decision on what tripod to get.

  16. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    4,532

    Default Re: First Step into Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by zapit View Post
    I bought a vanguard bag before realizing canon give free bag.. A friend of mine will get cleaning kit for me online. Uv filter I bought on the spot. There is a free memory card. The next immediate item to be bought are tripod and dry cabinet. Carbon fiber like too expensive while aluminum is too heavy. Leaning towards investing in a light and compact and sturdy tripod, haiz. Cabinet will get 30L or 50L. Will search on forum for home delivery for cabinet. UWA will put on hold til after CNY after much experimenting.
    i'll suggest u just go start shooting and worry about the tripod later. cause,
    1) u spend alot on a good light weight tripod...but in the end, u hardly use it due to what u shoot.
    2) u bought a tripod and u find it heavy to bring out. in then end.. collect dust.

    at least u will know later what u prefer to shoot most of the time. if u r going to use the tripod once in a while..then just get those normal one will do. no need carbon fiber.. waste of money.. buy lens better.lol

  17. #97
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halfgeek

    Are you the guy who got this at Alan photo funan with another friend ytd at about 6pm?
    Think I left funny before 5.30 pm and I was alone so probably is not me you are seeing.

  18. #98
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    55

    Default

    I will definitely need a tripod since i like landscape. I've been recommended to manfrotto PROB 190 too. The weight is too heavy so maybe i go for carbon fiber. Rather fork out more than let it collect dust if I dun bring it out. I more keen on more compact tripod for ease of carrying around.

    Another question is my viewfinder is pretty dark when I chose manual mode. It is fine in other mode such as aperture priority. What is the setting I need to tweak?

  19. #99
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,443

    Default Re: First Step into Photography

    Quote Originally Posted by zapit View Post
    I will definitely need a tripod since i like landscape. I've been recommended to manfrotto PROB 190 too. The weight is too heavy so maybe i go for carbon fiber. Rather fork out more than let it collect dust if I dun bring it out. I more keen on more compact tripod for ease of carrying around.

    Another question is my viewfinder is pretty dark when I chose manual mode. It is fine in other mode such as aperture priority. What is the setting I need to tweak?
    If you want it compact (and light), you may want to consider Sirui T series. or the expensive Gitzo ones. I'm using the Sirui T1004X, so far so good..

    Viewfinder Dark?? Do you mean liveview (LCD display) or the final picture is darker than AV mode?
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  20. #100
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

    If you want it compact (and light), you may want to consider Sirui T series. or the expensive Gitzo ones. I'm using the Sirui T1004X, so far so good..

    Viewfinder Dark?? Do you mean liveview (LCD display) or the final picture is darker than AV mode?
    Both the viewfinder and the final picture is darker than AV. av looks normal. How much you bought for your Sirius?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •