Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Step into Photography

Default Re: First Step into Photography

Quote Originally Posted by zapit View Post
    Agreed, but dunno about software - too lazy...
    Hahah just get your camera now and start shooting, enjoy the shutter sound! Feel the buttons Software think later
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

Hmm, maybe if I don't get a discount for UWA then I will take your advice, put the UWA on hold and experiment with the kit lens first.
    Just play with kit lens and get more out of it before making any decisions whether to venture into which kind of photography
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Csboi View Post
    If you can afford few thousands to buy one DSLR with several lenses, why don't spend that additional $10-$20 getting one rocket blower and lens tissue. You wouldn't want to see your precious camera getting dirty or infected would you? Those "little" things that you might neglect are actually very useful to you.

In conclusion, just get one. And also lens pen to clean your lens

Cheers!
    Make sense, oh first time hearing about lens pen. Thank you, will keep in mind.

Blog Entries

It's good to have a blower and a micro fiber cloth inside your camera bag,
    Lousy de My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by zapit

Agreed, but dunno about software - too lazy...
    Coolthought has a point. Tripod and shutter release is quite essential for landscape, or so I heard..

Are u still student? If you are, can get CS5 at student price..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    Coolthought has a point. Tripod and shutter release is quite essential for landscape, or so I heard..

Are u still student? If you are, can get CS5 at student price..

Nope, working. Yes, will get tripod and shutter release too. Hmm, quite a list of things to get.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    It's good to have a blower and a micro fiber cloth inside your camera bag,
    Can use the same cloth that comes with cleaning spectacles?

Blog Entries

I'm using that :x
    Lousy de My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange View Post
    I'm using that :x
    Great!

Mostly likely I will grab the dry cabinet on the same day. Should be aiming for a 40L.
    Well Zapit, you seems to have everything well under control and priority sorted out. Yes just go and get what you plan and start shooting. I only have 3 item to contribute and they are:

1. For the first couple of months, the dry cabinet is not a critical item to purchase as you will be too engross with the camera and lens to have them lying around thus need environmental control. I bought my Leica and few lens in September last year and till now, very wet period of the year, they have not seen the inside of my dry cabinet yet. I bought my first SLR in 1968. So long as you use your camera and lens at least once a fortnight, allowing them to "see" sunlight while you use them, fungus is not going to be an issue. What is more important is that you keep your equipment clean after each and every use, thus my recommendation in item 2. However, if your system need to be put away for longer than a month, I would strongly recommend keeping them under environmental control, meaning controlling at least the humidity to below 50%.

2. Yes get a good set of cleaning kit. Do not be stingy with this kit. A powerful blower is a must, lens pen is very useful on the go, lens tissue and cleaning fluid are also necessities. I would also recommend a piece of good quality chamois and also microfiber cloth. I never go out with my camera, less those P&S, without my chamois.

3. Finally, get a handy and "unrestrictive" camera bag for your camera and lens. A small sling bag such as the Lowepro passport sling, costing just $55 can be a very useful addition to your initial purchase.

yup always good to have a blower and microfiber with you, blower to blow off any loose dust/particles on lens, and microfiber cloth is good to clean fingerprints or sometimes water droplets on lens surface, remember to blow off any particles/dust on lens with blower first before cleaning with microfiber cloth, rubbing the particles around on the lens surface may scratch the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by miaoteh View Post
    yup always good to have a blower and microfiber with you, blower to blow off any loose dust/particles on lens, and microfiber cloth is good to clean fingerprints or sometimes water droplets on lens surface, remember to blow off any particles/dust on lens with blower first before cleaning with microfiber cloth, rubbing the particles around on the lens surface may scratch the lens.

I gather chamois = microfiber = spectacles cleaning cloth? Looking for a stylish bag will be another important task after getting a tripod.

I gather chamois = microfiber = spectacles cleaning cloth? Looking for a stylish bag will be another important task after getting a tripod.
    Chamois is not microfiber, it is very soft leather, the real one and not the fake stuff or synthetic one. There are those specially made for lens cleaning and you can get them in some camera shops. Maintain them well and they will last for years upon years. My first piece which was made in Japan bought more than 20 years ago is still being use to clean my lens. I just wash it from time to time and let it dry slowly at room temperature away from the sun, usually overnight. After it is dry, rub it to soften it and it is back in business. I saw the shop in Peninsular shopping center just next to Cathay Photo selling the very same brand as I had bought 20 over years ago. I think they are selling it for over $20 for a small piece about the size of a handkerchief. Chamois are also used to clean aircraft windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by New2digital View Post
    Chamois is not microfiber, it is very soft leather, the real one and not the fake stuff or synthetic one. There are those specially made for lens cleaning and you can get them in some camera shops. Maintain them well and they will last for years upon years. My first piece which was made in Japan bought more than 20 years ago is still being use to clean my lens. I just wash it from time to time and let it dry slowly at room temperature away from the sun, usually overnight. After it is dry, rub it to soften it and it is back in business. I saw the shop in Peninsular shopping center just next to Cathay Photo selling the very same brand as I had bought 20 over years ago. I think they are selling it for over $20 for a small piece about the size of a handkerchief. Chamois are also used to clean aircraft windshield.
    Chamois or micro fiber better for lens cleaning?

I prefer the Chamois as it is easy to wash and reuse. I also find chamois softer. Microfiber is also good, it's personal choice.

Im using micro fiber. Cheap and good.

I see, will stick to my Hoya micro fiber then.

i sense BBB creeping up behind everyone in this thread lol
    Canon 600D / EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM / EF 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by Valkarian View Post
    i sense BBB creeping up behind everyone in this thread lol
    What's BBB?

What's BBB?
    Colloquial English - "Buy Buy Buy!"
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!