Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Step into Photography

Default Re: First Step into Photography

Quote Originally Posted by zapit View Post
    No exact budget but will not want to spend on excessive or redundant stuff.

Friend recommend kit III cause is good for beginner and I can always sell it off.

I will be photographing landscape often so I need that UWA, unless there are better alternatives?
    You don't need a UWA lens to photograph landscapes, though it will be nice to have one
    10-22 Canon is very versatile and sharp. If you find the price ok, I think you should stick to this choice.

Am not a fan of 18-200 lenses, but I think since you're not sure what you'll be shooting in the future, perhaps such a zoom lens will give you the flexibility to explore until you are more decided.
    Exploring! :)

Hi, I'm also using the same setup and some other stuff are important ..

After getting the Canon 60D with kit III, next in line I felt is important to purchase -
    Dry cabinet ( spore humidity is high)
    Good tripod( prefer the CF version)

I got my Sigma UWA lens like 8 months later when I felt that there's a limit to my kit lens at 18mm for landscape photography

Plus there's a lot of other stuff like filters to learn and more buying..take more photos with the kit lens and will know wat u require in later months..of cos if budget is not an issue, can get everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Zuantnang View Post
    Hi, I'm also using the same setup and some other stuff are important ..

After getting the Canon 60D with kit III, next in line I felt is important to purchase -
    Dry cabinet ( spore humidity is high)
    Good tripod( prefer the CF version)

I got my Sigma UWA lens like 8 months later when I felt that there's a limit to my kit lens at 18mm for landscape photography

Plus there's a lot of other stuff like filters to learn and more buying..take more photos with the kit lens and will know wat u require in later months..of cos if budget is not an issue, can get everything...

Hmm, maybe if I don't get a discount for UWA then I will take your advice, put the UWA on hold and experiment with the kit lens first.

Hmm, maybe if I don't get a discount for UWA then I will take your advice, put the UWA on hold and experiment with the kit lens first.
    Yeah that sounds like a good idea.
    I don't mean to insinuate that you can't afford to buy all the stuff at one go, but still makes sense to be a bit prudent Why not start slow

Yes, it is not advisable to blow a huge cost buying every other lens...plus u may find out other type of photography (macro,food,portrait.etc.) along your journey which is also v interesting and different learning...

Instead of going for the 10-22 which you can wait, why don't you get a EF 17-40 L used. it works great on FF and Crop body. IQ is great too.

I believe the kit lens come with the body? I'm more excited getting the camera first (my friend helping me to pull string to get discount for me, will buy when is confirm). The dry cabinet can wait? I mean missing it out a few days or weeks shouldn't have much effect.
    Yes, the kit comes with the body. I misread your post. Sorry..

Days should be ok, but not sure about weeks. Since it's a new body, you don't want to risk, do you? =)
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by Seanlai View Post
    Instead of going for the 10-22 which you can wait, why don't you get a EF 17-40 L used. it works great on FF and Crop body. IQ is great too.
    The kit lens already covered the range and the range is not exactly wide for landscape?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    Yes, the kit comes with the body. I misread your post. Sorry..

Days should be ok, but not sure about weeks. Since it's a new body, you don't want to risk, do you? =)
    Mostly likely I will grab the dry cabinet on the same day. Should be aiming for a 40L.

The kit lens already covered the range and the range is not exactly wide for landscape?

correct.
    It would not be necessary to get a 17-40 when you're just starting out and exploring what your genre(s) of interest may be.

I would actually suggest getting 18-55 (much cheaper) and starting there, but I guess if 18-200 is ok for you then stick with it

Hi everyone,

this is my first post and I hope I can gather some feedback.

I plan to buy a Canon 60D with Kit III, a prime EF50mm f/1.8 II and UWA EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.

This will be my first camera and my interest is in landscape/cityscape photography.

The 60D body should be sufficient to support my first step into photography. I don't see myself changing the body soon (probably the next upgrade for me will be switching to one of those high end FF, though I do not know how to appreciate them yet), so I feel it will be a worthy investment.

Since my interest is in landscape/cityscape, I plan to invest in the UWA EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.

I will be getting the prime EF50mm f/1.8 II for the occasional portrait shot since it is cheap.

Kit III, 18mm - 200mm will be useful for general purpose, street shot and everything else.

I will worry about accessories such as spare batteries, sd cards, dry cabinet, tripod, etc later.

Comments?
    will there be any saving if you are buying the additional lenses together with the kit III?

if not, hold back on the lenses and use the money to get a sturdy tripod (with a sturdy head), cable release, a bigger camera bag (to be able to hold more lenses and accessories), filters (uv filter to protect front element of the lens, graduated nd filters, nd filters, circular polarisers) and a dry cabinet (keep the mold at bay from day one ). Extra battery will be good as well.

You probably might want to budget get software to post process your photos as well. Software like photoshop cs5, photoshop lightroom, gimp(free), etc.

You can always buy the 2 lenses later.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by zapit

No skill and no money for money.

Just curious, what the average time it took for your friends to change to ff?
    Woah! Don't like that leh! Haha!

6 years on, I'm still on the Nikon DX format!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post

correct.
    It would not be necessary to get a 17-40 when you're just starting out and exploring what your genre(s) of interest may be.

I would actually suggest getting 18-55 (much cheaper) and starting there, but I guess if 18-200 is ok for you then stick with it

Guess the additional range to 200 will be a good hands on on telephoto.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Woah! Don't like that leh! Haha!

6 years on, I'm still on the Nikon DX format!

I not too familiar with Nikon. But the point is, someone mention the difference for FF is not that great.

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    will there be any saving if you are buying the additional lenses together with the kit III?

if not, hold back on the lenses and use the money to get a sturdy tripod (with a sturdy head), cable release, a bigger camera bag (to be able to hold more lenses and accessories), filters (uv filter to protect front element of the lens, graduated nd filters, nd filters, circular polarisers) and a dry cabinet (keep the mold at bay from day one ). Extra battery will be good as well.

You probably might want to budget get software to post process your photos as well. Software like photoshop cs5, photoshop lightroom, gimp(free), etc.

You can always buy the 2 lenses later.

Agreed, but dunno about software - too lazy...

Quote Originally Posted by zapit

I not too familiar with Nikon. But the point is, someone mention the difference for FF is not that great.
    I was only kidding. You were asking how long it takes before photographers move to full frame. I'm still on the cropped sensor (Nikon DX format) despite being involved in photography since 2005.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

I know u said accessories later but do remember to get a good dust blower and a pack of lens "tissue". These things come in handy when u need them to keep your camera and lens in good condition and not ruin your photography enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    I was only kidding. You were asking how long it takes before photographers move to full frame. I'm still on the cropped sensor (Nikon DX format) despite being involved in photography since 2005.
    Oh, I tot you were serious. Haven't even bought my first DSLR so not able to comment on differences with FF.

Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711 View Post
    I know u said accessories later but do remember to get a good dust blower and a pack of lens "tissue". These things come in handy when u need them to keep your camera and lens in good condition and not ruin your photography enthusiasm.
    Oh that's something I missed out. Are they (dust blower and lens tissue) really necessary? I read up a lot of posts on dry cabinet but seemed i completely neglect the dust blower.

Oh that's something I missed out. Are they (dust blower and lens tissue) really necessary? I read up a lot of posts on dry cabinet but seemed i completely neglect the dust blower.
    If you can afford few thousands to buy one DSLR with several lenses, why don't spend that additional $10-$20 getting one rocket blower and lens tissue. You wouldn't want to see your precious camera getting dirty or infected would you? Those "little" things that you might neglect are actually very useful to you.

In conclusion, just get one. And also lens pen to clean your lens

Cheers!
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast