Thread: Share non-commercial photo studio

Default Share non-commercial photo studio

Hi

Planning to rent some space and buy some light equipment to set-up a photo studio. This is purely non-commercial and we don't plan to open a business.

Looking for interessted people, to share the location and of course the rental and some of the equipment and/or for any good locations to rent.

Cheers

Rog

Default Re: Share non-commercial photo studio

Quote Originally Posted by rosh-A View Post
    Hi

Planning to rent some space and buy some light equipment to set-up a photo studio. This is purely non-commercial and we don't plan to open a business.

Looking for interessted people, to share the location and of course the rental and some of the equipment and/or for any good locations to rent.

Cheers

Rog
    It's not going to be cheap to set it up and then maintain it, especially if it is only for personal use (not renting out, etc).
    For how long do you plan to keep this going?
    Exploring! :)

Hi

Cheers

Rog
    if there is no return in anyway on renting a space for per said activity on a long term basis, it will be expensive. It will be cheaper to buy all the strobist equipment and shoot on location unless what you will be shooting can't be in a public domain or public viewable location....
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

well I know it's not going to be cheap and this is exactly the reason why I am looking for some more people. If rental for some space is around 1 to 2 k a month and we find between 5 to 10 interessted and likeminded people then rental month is going to be about SGD 200.00 a head/month (very rough).

I got some lights and stuff and the idea is that everyone contributes some equipment to build it up. I am not saying that we can not turn this, at some point, more commercial and make some money with it, but it can't be the first step.

What I want is a place where I can shoot some studio, have a bunch of likeminded people around to bounce off ideas and push eachother forward.

I remember the days back in Europe when we had no space for a dark room at home and there were plenty of places/groups that shared a darkroom and split the costs and it was great.

well I know it's not going to be cheap and this is exactly the reason why I am looking for some more people. If rental for some space is around 1 to 2 k a month and we find between 5 to 10 interessted and likeminded people then rental month is going to be about SGD 200.00 a head/month (very rough).

I got some lights and stuff and the idea is that everyone contributes some equipment to build it up. I am not saying that we can not turn this, at some point, more commercial and make some money with it, but it can't be the first step.

What I want is a place where I can shoot some studio, have a bunch of likeminded people around to bounce off ideas and push eachother forward.

I remember the days back in Europe when we had no space for a dark room at home and there were plenty of places/groups that shared a darkroom and split the costs and it was great.

I see where you're going, but what's wrong with renting a studio space by the hour?
    For $200 a month, I can spend quite a few hours in there to practise.
    In all likelihood if the other 9 fellas are working adults, everyone will want to use the shared studio in the evenings or weekends. It's not like I can have the studio time whenever I want it. So there's high cost but little benefit, unless I need to do a lot of studio work.

You have to include ultilities bills as well.
    getting 5-10 likeminded indivdual strangers to share will be difficult.
    getting 5-10 people to commit $200 a month will be near impossible.

I am not trying to put you off. Your idea seems good but unless you can find a place that is even cheaper and people who are willing to share, this will be difficult to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I see where you're going, but what's wrong with renting a studio space by the hour?
    For $200 a month, I can spend quite a few hours in there to practise.
    In all likelihood if the other 9 fellas are working adults, everyone will want to use the shared studio in the evenings or weekends. It's not like I can have the studio time whenever I want it. So there's high cost but little benefit, unless I need to do a lot of studio work.
    agree
    and if everyone is working, the place will not be fully utilised.

Thanks, all very valid points and yes my idea needs work.

Do you have any ideas where I could possibly find space? I was super excited when I saw they renovated the barracks at the Pony Ranche on Bukit Timah, but while they rent for about SGD 400.00 a month (which means less people to share needed) they only rent to students as dorms.

I suppose a good analogy would be one where like minded people sharing the purchase and upkeep of a boat for reasons of cost. These are fishing buddies. It starts with one or 2 very handy individuals who can do maintenance and minimize added cost.

Over time, not very long, some will be unable to join the group but cost remains the same with the occasional added maintenance. As time goes, the non-participant begins to feel that he should not bear the added cost as it is wear an tear which he has not participated, so the troubles begin.

The handyman starts to feel that he's doing all the dirty work while the rest saves pennies, why should he. Enters the mechanic and now more dollars go in.

More start to drop off due to commitments and waning interest, before long, more are questioning why pay the extra. Soon differences begin to surface due to the 'unfairness'.

Sounds like a story? There are many real life shared cost/resource stories like this that I have personally seen.

Do it on your own, owe no one an explanation, owe no one the need to make things fair, owe no one nothing, life will be much more peaceful. Why waste time on other things that do not contribute to the purpose of why you're doing this - photography. If cost is prohibitive, go rent studios by the hour, walk away when done, no need to do house keeping & cleaning - why waste time over this - do you clean your own place or some maid does it, if you don't, why spend time cleaning a rented place.

it won't work.

the initial cost of setting up a studio is not just buy lighting, background etc, you still have renovation, fixture, utility and up keeping etc...
    since it is not for commercial usage, and you won't able to gain any income from it, after sometime people will pull out the plan, and everything will fall apart.

you will be better off by setting up your own home studio,
    or find a studio to negotiate a short term usage on regular basis
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thanks, all very valid points and yes my idea needs work.

Do you have any ideas where I could possibly find space? I was super excited when I saw they renovated the barracks at the Pony Ranche on Bukit Timah, but while they rent for about SGD 400.00 a month (which means less people to share needed) they only rent to students as dorms.
    I think you can pretty much forget about renting at subsidized rates, since your intended purpose is nothing related to charity, or benefiting some section of society.
    If you haven't already noticed, land is scarce (and hence expensive) in Singapore.

Your idea only makes sense if you rate privacy/exclusivity (i.e. "I want MY OWN studio space") highly, costs irregardless. Once you mentioned sharing of costs, I think you will face major hurdles putting it all together. I urge you not to waste brain juice on this matter