Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Off camera flash aid

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    842

    Default Off camera flash aid

    I all
    I am planning to do some off camera flash, is there other device apart from pocket wizard?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: Off camera flash aid

    Quote Originally Posted by rvf79 View Post
    I all
    I am planning to do some off camera flash, is there other device apart from pocket wizard?
    There are a lot... just need to search
    maybe check out strobist interest groups for more info.

    price range is quite drastic
    Exploring! :)

  3. #3
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Off camera flash aid

    Quote Originally Posted by rvf79 View Post
    I am planning to do some off camera flash, is there other device apart from pocket wizard?
    Many. First off all: define your needs. Main differentiation is whether the device can 'speak' ETTL or not. ETTL-capable devices costs more, the other ones are quite cheap. Check the Mass Sales and the Virtual Shops here.
    EOS

  4. #4

    Default Re: Off camera flash aid

    Quote Originally Posted by rvf79 View Post
    I all
    I am planning to do some off camera flash, is there other device apart from pocket wizard?
    What system are you using? If it's Sony, you've had it built in since the Minolta film days.
    Alpha

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: Off camera flash aid

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    What system are you using? If it's Sony, you've had it built in since the Minolta film days.
    using 600D canon. it has built in IR system, but i need radio frequency.
    TTL preferred too.

  6. #6
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Off camera flash aid

    Quote Originally Posted by rvf79 View Post
    using 600D canon. it has built in IR system, but i need radio frequency.
    TTL preferred too.
    1) Phottix
    2) Pixel
    3) Pocket wizard
    4) Yongnuo

    To state a few. (btw... I am using the Pixel, pretty alright.)
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Off camera flash aid

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    1) Phottix
    2) Pixel
    3) Pocket wizard
    4) Yongnuo

    To state a few. (btw... I am using the Pixel, pretty alright.)
    Those are just brands. Not all of the models offered by those brands do wireless E-TTL.

    For Pixel, only King and Knight series triggers offer E-TTL.
    For Phottix, only the new Odin series offer E-TTL.
    For Pocketwizard, TTFlex series offer E-TTL.
    For Yongnuo, don't remember seeing anything that is E-TTL.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 10th January 2012 at 04:21 PM.

  8. #8
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Off camera flash aid

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Those are just brands. Not all of the models offered by those brands do wireless E-TTL.

    For Pixel, only King and Knight series triggers offer E-TTL.
    For Phottix, only the new Odin series offer E-TTL.
    For Pocketwizard, TTFlex series offer E-TTL.
    For Yongnuo, don't remember seeing anything that is E-TTL.
    Review: Yongnuo RF-602 Flash Trigger | FlashRaw (support e-TTL)
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  9. #9

    Default Re: Off camera flash aid

    cactus
    skyports
    cybersyncs
    radio poppers

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    842

    Default Re: Off camera flash aid

    do u mean, when my flash do not have E-TTL function, once i connect to the wireless trigger, i will have E-TTL function?

    if so, i think i can also get manual flash for this function liao...

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: Off camera flash aid

    Quote Originally Posted by rvf79 View Post
    do u mean, when my flash do not have E-TTL function, once i connect to the wireless trigger, i will have E-TTL function?
    if so, i think i can also get manual flash for this function liao...
    Sorry to burst your illusion ... answer is NO.
    ETTL requires electronics in the flash and the programming to 'understand' and to communicate with the camera. The lingo is specific to the brand. Also, as result of this communication the flash is able to receive signals about the required flash output power and adjust itself accordingly. Manual flashes can only be controlled using the buttons on the back.
    EOS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •