Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one completely unimpressed with the D4 announcements and samples?

Quote Originally Posted by bkling1
    Sometime, that's good enough for ordinary person. It is like Hi-Fi and MP3 player, if the person can satisfy with MP3 quality and no so good in speaker placement and tuning, after upgrading to Hi-Fi quality if sound, that's a big improvement already even though he is probably only utilize 20% of the hi-Fi set potential. same as camera and lens, good lens is normally produce sharper and better contrast of photos. Good camera has better AF and ISO performance etc.

For the same composition, better equipment will produce better quality of image even though that composition is lousy composition. The result is immediate, scientific and objective which any person can identify the difference.
    If you feel that's the way to go for you, then go ahead bah.

I may not have a DSLR long enough, but I'm pretty sure that the D3s that I rented for an event before did not give me a better picture, it however, give me better confidence to produce higher ISO pictures, which is not related to skill but convenience. However, I'm pretty sure I can do the same thing with my D300s, which I just need to be more careful when I take my shots with lower shutter speed.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

Default Re: Am I the only one completely unimpressed with the D4 announcements and samples?

Quote Originally Posted by bkling1 View Post
    Might not fully agree with your view. Personally, if budget allow, I like to use better and newer equipment to make up for my lousy skill in photography.
    Are you trying to tell me that you shoot mostly in "auto" mode with your 5DII?

I kinda follow his photos for a bit from around when he first started in cs till recent. It is a huge difference. If I remember correctly, he used to be an advocate for better equipment but I can see a change in both his mindset and skills and the recent award speak for itself.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Default Re: Am I the only one completely unimpressed with the D4 announcements and samples?

FX Read Noise Comparison

All the Nikon FF noise level compared...

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    Are you trying to tell me that you shoot mostly in "auto" mode with your 5DII?

I kinda follow his photos for a bit from around when he first started in cs till recent. It is a huge difference. If I remember correctly, he used to be an advocate for better equipment but I can see a change in both his mindset and skills and the recent award speak for itself.
    Hi coolthought, thank you! Yes I was used to be an advocate for better equipment. However, after learning from many successful wedding photographers around the world, I've found that equipment is the least important factor to create a beautiful photo with impact. The more important factors are composition, storytelling, creativity, beautiful lightings, posing, emotion and editing. The best equipment makes our job easier but without it there are still many cheaper and usable alternatives.
    Running a photography business is not easy and involves a lot of costs. It's best if you have unlimited budget to buy the best equipment, but most of us are not that lucky in real life. So in the mean time we have to learn how to distribute our funds to run the business properly without financial worries, so that we can concentrate to give our best to our clients.
    Last edited by kentwong81; 17th January 2012 at 02:10 PM.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Sometime, that's good enough for ordinary person. It is like Hi-Fi and MP3 player, if the person can satisfy with MP3 quality and no so good in speaker placement and tuning, after upgrading to Hi-Fi quality if sound, that's a big improvement already even though he is probably only utilize 20% of the hi-Fi set potential. same as camera and lens, good lens is normally produce sharper and better contrast of photos. Good camera has better AF and ISO performance etc.

For the same composition, better equipment will produce better quality of image even though that composition is lousy composition. The result is immediate, scientific and objective which any person can identify the difference.
    better equipment doesn't solve the root of the problem (lousy composition). lousy composition is still a lousy composition no matter how sharp/contrast/AF/ISO/etc is.

I never impress by gears, only impress by good photographers.

Quote Originally Posted by alantkh

Finally someone who thinks like me
    1 more up..
    Got more res to crop.
    Got lesser wb issues..
    Focus lock faster..
    More fps so won't miss..
    Miss also got more frames to select..
    Etc etc
    i only replies to PM and nothing else..

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Hi coolthought, thank you! Yes I was used to be an advocate for better equipment. However, after learning from many successful wedding photographers around the world, I've found that equipment is the least important factor to create a beautiful photo with impact. The more important factors are composition, storytelling, creativity, beautiful lightings, posing, emotion and editing. The best equipment makes our job easier but without it there are still many cheaper and usable alternatives.
    Running a photography business is not easy and involves a lot of costs. It's best if you have unlimited budget to buy the best equipment, but most of us are not that lucky in real life. So in the mean time we have to learn how to distribute our funds to run the business properly without financial worries, so that we can concentrate to give our best to our clients.
    Learn from photographers around the world ?!?!? You really put effort to learn, fly around the world to learn ?

Quote Originally Posted by lobsterkia View Post
    Learn from photographers around the world ?!?!? You really put effort to learn, fly around the world to learn ?
    Nowadays there's one thing called "Facebook" and you don't need to travel. Well, you may also attend workshops by some famous photographers at oversea locations, because not all of them come to Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Nowadays there's one thing called "Facebook" and you don't need to travel. Well, you may also attend workshops by some famous photographers at oversea locations, because not all of them come to Singapore.
    I see , thanks for sharing with me the thing called "Facebook" ..let me go and google that ...
    And to cut a long story short , you went overseas to learn lah ?

Hi all... I hope my thread does not go too OT. Where you learned your wedding photography and what the heck is facebook has nothing to do with the Nikon D4 or Canon 1DX. Lobsterkia... you are obviously trolling other people.

With regards to good equipment. It does make a difference in my opinion.

Good equipment today will be out-dated within 5 years. You don't hear people saying "I'm still using a D1X to shoot weddings and I see it's more than enough, it's the man behind the camera". Think about how this guy thought about his camera when he got it back in infancy of digital photography.

Good equipment gives us higher hit-rate. Example; photojournalism & sports is about capturing that precious moment... speed and accuracy does make a difference. Of course skill can help one perform with a lesser camera... but do realize many pros and regular shooters are not ready to make this gamble and take the stress. That's why they buy single digit series flagship D-SLRs.

Even for a portrait shooter, auto-focus accuracy is very critical when you use those desirable large aperture lenses. If it was a hit and miss game, all your f1.4 isolation and creaminess would be just a number for show. Time is money. Time is precious.

For a strobist who shoot with small apertures and accuracy and speed are a lesser concern, lights come into play and may cost far more than our D3 and 1D. Not to mention countless of accessories, triggers, stands & diffusers, modifiers...

The idea is that... equipment makes a difference, just because that performance characteristic is not your requirement... other people don't need it as well? Don't be selfish.
    Last edited by surrephoto; 17th January 2012 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto
    Hi all... I hope my thread does not go too OT. Where you learned your wedding photography and what the heck is facebook has nothing to do with the Nikon D4 or Canon 1DX. Lobsterkia... you are obviously trolling other people.

Good equipment today will be out-dated within 5 years. You don't hear people saying "I'm still using a D1X to shoot weddings and I see it's more than enough, it's the man behind the camera". Think about how this guy thought about his camera when he got it back in infancy of digital photography.

Good equipment gives us higher hit-rate. Example; photojournalism & sports is about capturing that precious moment... speed and accuracy does make a difference. Of course skill can help one perform with a lesser camera... but do realize many pros and regular shooters are not ready to make this gamble and take the stress. That's why they buy single digit series flagship D-SLRs.

Even for a portrait shooter, auto-focus accuracy is very critical when you use those desirable large aperture lenses. If it was a hit and miss game, all your f1.4 isolation and creaminess would be just a number for show. Time is money. Time is precious.

For a strobist who shoot with small apertures and accuracy and speed are a lesser concern, lights come into play and may cost far more than our D3 and 1D. Not to mention countless of accessories, triggers, stands & diffusers, modifiers...

The idea is that... equipment makes a difference, just because that performance characteristic is not your requirement... other people don't need it as well? Don't be selfish.
    I think which I does is that I don't care what camera the person I paid use.. I only interested on the point that he gets the pictures I want.. I goes back to the person who can shoot the least and I can select the most.. But not to the person can shoot a lot but there is nothing that I can chose.. This is another point of view..
    i only replies to PM and nothing else..

Nope, personally I didn't use auto mode. In canon, I have gone through many camera upgrade from 10D, 20D (still keeping it), a few of 1 series and sold it off and finally downgrade to 5D Mk II which is FF and do prety well in video. I have owned and used plenty of lens. I have almost all the L lens below 200mm. I also keep a few non L lens. I also like manual lens especially leica. I am not a professional photographer but I can tell you, good lens in good camera is hell a lot of different.

Personally i Don't make thing so complicated and stress ourselve with all the theory in photography. Most of us here are just "hobbist" and want to snap which produce good image. For canon, no way 10D can performs better than 1series dslr. No way 50mm 1.8II can match 50mm 1.2L. Of course we can use the skill to overcome all the shortcoming such as avoiding certain critical lighting condition, finding good composition etc...Wah, you will miss a lot of good moment and waste a lot of time in doing so. Then it will become a painful hobby.

At simple straight long road, a skillful Proton car driver will never catch up with average Ferrari driver. Most of us are simple-average driver. We are riding mainly on straight road, if I have the budget, I wish to have Ferrari so that I could run faster. If low budget, I will stay with Honda. If have extremely low budget, then use motor bike or bicycle. However, you can run faster in high capacity and better car.

Quote Originally Posted by surrephoto View Post

Nope, personally I didn't use auto mode. In canon, I have gone through many camera upgrade from 10D, 20D (still keeping it), a few of 1 series and sold it off and finally downgrade to 5D Mk II which is FF and do prety well in video. I have owned and used plenty of lens. I have almost all the L lens below 200mm. I also keep a few non L lens. I also like manual lens especially leica. I am not a professional photographer but I can tell you, good lens in good camera is hell a lot of different.

Personally i Don't make thing so complicated and stress ourselve with all the theory in photography. Most of us here are just "hobbist" and want to snap which produce good image. For canon, no way 10D can performs better than 1series dslr. No way 50mm 1.8II can match 50mm 1.2L. Of course we can use the skill to overcome all the shortcoming such as avoiding certain critical lighting condition, finding good composition etc...Wah, you will miss a lot of good moment and waste a lot of time in doing so. Then it will become a painful hobby.

At simple straight long road, a skillful Proton car driver will never catch up with average Ferrari driver. Most of us are simple-average driver. We are riding mainly on straight road, if I have the budget, I wish to have Ferrari so that I could run faster. If low budget, I will stay with Honda. If have extremely low budget, then use motor bike or bicycle. However, you can run faster in high capacity and better car.
    Quote Originally Posted by sense rain View Post
    1 more up..
    Got more res to crop.
    Got lesser wb issues..
    Focus lock faster..
    More fps so won't miss..
    Miss also got more frames to select..
    Etc etc
    No doubt it does make a difference, in terms of convenience, in terms of capabilities, such as unachievable speed that lower end bodies can't do. But does it makes up the lousy skill part? I don't think so....
    This is very pertaining to those who are new to photography, thinking buying better camera will magically make their picture better without even knowing why. Yes better bodies gives you more headroom, but it's through the knowledge of an experienced photography to make use of the headroom. Give a D3s to an amatuer who doesn't even know the relationship (or even the terms itself) of shutter speed, aperture & ISO, he will give you the same crappy pictures as given him a D3100.

Of course, the money is yours and you can do whatever pleases you. I just hope that people can understand what exactly are they buying and what does the features do for them before taking the plunge.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

hi BKling1,
    I think expensive/highend eqpt does render sharper and clearer pix quality. Take a kit lens vs 24-70/2.8 ... results are obvious.
    but better eqpt does not (most of the time) contribute towards better pix.
    It really again boils down to one's definition of ''better''. It is argumentative.

I would define ''better'' as individual preferences ... if my picture is widely accepted by 90% of the world population, does it make me top photographer??
    It definitely make me rich and famous ... "TOP" ??? how and who to quantify this??

However... speed and sharpness is quantitative, aka measurable.
    Your analogy on the proton vs Ferrari is somehow SPEED dependent... (film camera doesnt really burst, but they does have nice exposure)

I myself is a "hobbist" ... i myself also spend alot of money for better eqpt. ... it does gave me sharper/clearer images. It does makes me happier.
    But can i win the race with such images??? NO!

One good example of good skill is the show by Jay Chou "Initial D" ..... did he had a Ferrari??
    Composition and PP editing isnt about better eqpt ... it is heavily dependent on one's experience and level of skill accumulated over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by bethpapa74 View Post
    hi BKling1,
    I think expensive/highend eqpt does render sharper and clearer pix quality. Take a kit lens vs 24-70/2.8 ... results are obvious.
    but better eqpt does not (most of the time) contribute towards better pix.
    It really again boils down to one's definition of ''better''. It is argumentative.

I would define ''better'' as individual preferences ... if my picture is widely accepted by 90% of the world population, does it make me top photographer??
    It definitely make me rich and famous ... "TOP" ??? how and who to quantify this??

However... speed and sharpness is quantitative, aka measurable.
    Your analogy on the proton vs Ferrari is somehow SPEED dependent... (film camera doesnt really burst, but they does have nice exposure)

I myself is a "hobbist" ... i myself also spend alot of money for better eqpt. ... it does gave me sharper/clearer images. It does makes me happier.
    But can i win the race with such images??? NO!

One good example of good skill is the show by Jay Chou "Initial D" ..... did he had a Ferrari??
    Composition and PP editing isnt about better eqpt ... it is heavily dependent on one's experience and level of skill accumulated over the years.
    With regards to what factors make a better camera... imho, it's very straight-forward;

1. RAW Image quality; For those who need the DR & processing power.
    2. JPEG Image quality; For those who need the image fast and finish a job fast.
    3. AF Speed & Tracking; For sports & photojournalist.
    4. AF Precision & Accuracy; For everyone really, especially those who use large aperture primes.
    5. Metering, Flash System & Exposure Reliability; For event, wedding photographers... and serious hobbyist who shoot many family gatherings?
    6. AWB; This one is subjective but a good starting point is always good.
    7. Ergonomics; For everyone really, if your tool is hard to use, it will impede your skill.
    Last edited by surrephoto; 18th January 2012 at 09:44 AM.

How do you define a "great" photo? Sharp, contrasty, nice colour, low CA, no vignette? Or a photo with beautiful composition, storytelling, lighting, posing, emotion and editing that make you stop and look at the photo for a long time?

A great photographer doesn't need to have the best equipment with him always. He can use whatever equipment he has to create a beautiful image he has already visioned in his mind. Yes, it's the vision, not the D3s, D4, 1DX, 1DMkIII, etc.

The beautfiul image below was taken by CM Leung using just a Olympus EP1. I attended his workshop in KL last year. He is truly a master in creating images with great impact.

aiyo...

D4, D3s, D3, D700, 5D etc., regardless of the camera/s, as long as it gets the job done, it is a good camera.

equipment buying and upgrading, selling to fund purchases etc. are part and parcel of the 'fun' in pursuing photography as an interest/hobby or as a career. waiting with excitement and giggling like little schoolkids over the latest 'leaks' or announcements are acceptable and absolutely okay. its part of the 'fun' too.

if one feels that with the newest release of the D4 will improve his fotographs (probably due to better high iso noise control), then get it.

if one feels that the predecessors still offer a good kick, then stick with it or just get it used.

then go out, take some fotos and post it here and share, get critques and hopefully, improve.

to me, if the D4's noise performance is indeed 1 stop better than its predecessor and pack in even more MP, than its clear we have a winner. it is sole reason enough to upgrade.

the rest of the upgraded functions like video... etc. are nice to have but i'll probably never get to use and won't need it.

still, its great to drool over the D4 despite what valid grounds some people have over the lack of 'omph' or 'wow' in this so-called upgrade.

perhaps DSLR' CCD/CMOS sensor technology, shutter function etc. has sort of hit its peak or 'maturity' and thus improvements and such are getting lesser and perhaps, not as evident nor 'enticing' as some phases.

let's just wait and see what they can do to the D5 series. kekekeke
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Each time we start a discussion on some piece of new equipment (lens and camera), inevitably we get the "it's the photographer, not the equipment stupid!" reminder... and sometimes those reminders escalate to shouting... I think we all agree on that but as long as we are talking about equipment, we will be talking about equipment... this is a sub-forum for equipment discussion. There are other sub-forums for composition, lighting, story telling, skills and techniques etc. no?

What I feel is a D4 offer more features & make a photographer more easier to accomplish his job.

But if one is into photographing business, it's would be better to have at least a FF DSLR so as to create a better image to your customer.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast