Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: The chicken and Egg problem...?

  1. #21
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: The chicken and Egg problem...?

    Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    Canon / Nikon problem:
    What I can say is if you're not going in to sports or birding, (to me) both are the same. I chose Canon because of the grip ergonomics. (it feels better to hold la!) quite a few of my friends are with Canon so I can borrow their lenses to play too. This is what I always tell me friends.
    The only issue with Nikon they don't have anything above 300mm, while Canon has amazing 400/600/800/1200 lenses. One can argue there are 3rd party lenses, but they will not be as good.
    For currently available lenses, Nikon has alternatives to all Canon's long lenses except for the 800mm.

    Talking about discontinued, Nikon has some very long lenses as well, like 2000mm...

    And 3rd party lenses are not as good? hmmm.... you sure? I know of quite a few 3rd party brands that produced some lenses that are much better than Nikon's or Canon's. And some offer stuff that Nikon and Canon was not able to... Where else can you get 500mm F2.8? and a zoom too?
    Last edited by daredevil123; 8th January 2012 at 08:19 PM.

  2. #22
    Member Valkarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    276

    Default Re: The chicken and Egg problem...?

    that said, TS, just get yerself a camera, in this case a dslr, any dslr, and start shooting!

    you should already get the basics of composition of a photo cause you're into photography, so all you need to do now is learn about your newfound powers in the dslr! all brands are pretty much the same with their own pros and cons, so dont really worry too much about it and just make the leap with whichever makes you feel better ( i think you want canon lol ) as you shoot, you'll realise that you want a certain kind of shot, and then you'll find out how that kind of shot is taken and then learn from it! you gotta start the ball rolling yourself! have fun!
    Canon 600D / EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM / EF 50 f1.8 II

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

    For currently available lenses, Nikon has alternatives to all Canon's long lenses except for the 800mm.

    Talking about discontinued, Nikon has some very long lenses as well, like 2000mm...

    And 3rd party lenses are not as good? hmmm.... you sure? I know of quite a few 3rd party brands that produced some lenses that are much better than Nikon's or Canon's. And some offer stuff that Nikon and Canon was not able to... Where else can you get 500mm F2.8? and a zoom too?
    Mr. Sigma
    Those are lenses that you cannot find from any OEM.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  4. #24
    Senior Member shierwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,365

    Default Re: The chicken and Egg problem...?

    Look at this thread below and check the biodata of TS "MGohzxc" and you'll be surprised..............

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/photo...utiful-25.html

    I'm light years behind........

  5. #25

    Default Re: The chicken and Egg problem...?

    I got poisoned. Borrowed friend's camera to take some cosplay event photos and the rest is history.

    Less than 1 month, plonked down 4k for camera, lenses and accessories

  6. #26

    Default Re: The chicken and Egg problem...?

    Hey everyone,

    wow, I'm completely surprised and touched at the many responses on my thread haha! (Mostly because I can kinda imagine how tring it is to always see newbies asking clueless questions when most of you are already way past this stage!) Really appreciate it

    Ok, I think my replies are still in queue to be moderated, hence a couple of them have not appeared yet.

    I had mentioned in one of my replies (which has not been approved and released by moderator), that I'm actually currently in the States (for another half a year), and I buy most of my electronic appliances online for best prices and selection. But yes, I should and will be popping by a shop real soon to get a feel of the DSLRs, and hopefully something will call out my name haha..

    Just to confirm, it IS true that DSLRs and other photography equipment is cheaper to buy in the states than in Singapore right? So I should hopefully buy my DSLR soon, work it to the best I can, then decide what accessories and stuff I want and need, and try to buy them before returning?

  7. #27
    Member Valkarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bakagomi
    I got poisoned. Borrowed friend's camera to take some cosplay event photos and the rest is history.

    Less than 1 month, plonked down 4k for camera, lenses and accessories
    My first dslr usage was when I borrowed a camera (yes I'm a ******* that borrowed a camera) and took it to a small cosplay event! From there, I moved on to renting for awhile, and now I too have a set down for cosfests! We should go together sometime XD

    Oh I heard hk is cheapest? But the lack of international warranty by canon is frowned upon when importing.
    Last edited by Valkarian; 9th January 2012 at 08:53 AM.
    Canon 600D / EF 70-200 f2.8 L USM / EF 50 f1.8 II

  8. #28
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: The chicken and Egg problem...?

    Quote Originally Posted by BBshooter View Post
    Ok, I think my replies are still in queue to be moderated, hence a couple of them have not appeared yet.
    This part of the forum is not moderated, your answers will appear immediately. Please do a refresh of the website in your browser (You might need to change a browser setting to force the browser loading the pages every time instead of suing cached data.)

    Quote Originally Posted by BBshooter View Post
    I had mentioned in one of my replies (which has not been approved and released by moderator), that I'm actually currently in the States (for another half a year), and I buy most of my electronic appliances online for best prices and selection. But yes, I should and will be popping by a shop real soon to get a feel of the DSLRs, and hopefully something will call out my name haha..
    Just to confirm, it IS true that DSLRs and other photography equipment is cheaper to buy in the states than in Singapore right? So I should hopefully buy my DSLR soon, work it to the best I can, then decide what accessories and stuff I want and need, and try to buy them before returning?
    I'm not sure about the price, use the price guide here, call the shops, ask for equotes and compare. But please be aware about the T&C for warranty. Certain warranty services cannot be transferred and honoured elsewhere, you would need to ship the item back to US. You need International Warranty if you want your items serviced in Singapore. Have a good look at the fine print
    EOS

  9. #29

    Default Re: The chicken and Egg problem...?

    Quote Originally Posted by BBshooter View Post
    Hey everyone,

    wow, I'm completely surprised and touched at the many responses on my thread haha! (Mostly because I can kinda imagine how tring it is to always see newbies asking clueless questions when most of you are already way past this stage!) Really appreciate it

    Ok, I think my replies are still in queue to be moderated, hence a couple of them have not appeared yet.

    I had mentioned in one of my replies (which has not been approved and released by moderator), that I'm actually currently in the States (for another half a year), and I buy most of my electronic appliances online for best prices and selection. But yes, I should and will be popping by a shop real soon to get a feel of the DSLRs, and hopefully something will call out my name haha..

    Just to confirm, it IS true that DSLRs and other photography equipment is cheaper to buy in the states than in Singapore right? So I should hopefully buy my DSLR soon, work it to the best I can, then decide what accessories and stuff I want and need, and try to buy them before returning?
    I believe most of the item are cheaper in the US as compared to SG. But the problem is warranty. Some brands dont provide international warranty. However, if you are ok with it.. i guess its ok. So do check properly before purchasing. All the best

  10. #30

    Default Re: The chicken and Egg problem...?

    Don't overwhelm yourself with the need to know all the technical stuff. Just go out and shoot. Just like swimming, we only learn when we get into the pool.

    Be realistic with yourself, don't expect immediate results. But know that as long as you keep shooting, you will keep improving.

  11. #31

    Default Re: The chicken and Egg problem...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Valkarian View Post
    My first dslr usage was when I borrowed a camera (yes I'm a ******* that borrowed a camera) and took it to a small cosplay event! From there, I moved on to renting for awhile, and now I too have a set down for cosfests! We should go together sometime XD

    Oh I heard hk is cheapest? But the lack of international warranty by canon is frowned upon when importing.
    Haha no problem. Will try to attend the upcoming Cosfest in Feb.

  12. #32

    Default Re: The chicken and Egg problem...?

    I agree with Valkarian. You know more than enough from what I see. Start shooting!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •