Thread: Possible to take moon shots with a95?

Arrow Possible to take moon shots with a95?

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has tried taking pictures of the moon with a95. I'm in Australia for the moment, and where i live, it's clear blue skies in the morning and starry nights with big moon. I dun have any adaptor lens.. tried to take the moon at night (or at least include it as part of the scenery) with different settings but didn't turn out too well. Too long exposure, moon becomes very bright. Too short.. not well either..

Also, I'd be going on a road trip along great ocean road this week end.. can anticipate to take picture of many sceneries.. anytips? Smallest possible aperture?

I'm an amateur so anyone has any idea/comments to help me improve i'd be very grateful!

Quote Originally Posted by dda95
    Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has tried taking pictures of the moon with a95. I'm in Australia for the moment, and where i live, it's clear blue skies in the morning and starry nights with big moon. I dun have any adaptor lens.. tried to take the moon at night (or at least include it as part of the scenery) with different settings but didn't turn out too well. Too long exposure, moon becomes very bright. Too short.. not well either..

Also, I'd be going on a road trip along great ocean road this week end.. can anticipate to take picture of many sceneries.. anytips? Smallest possible aperture?

I'm an amateur so anyone has any idea/comments to help me improve i'd be very grateful!
    Set aperture to f8-f11... wait... set to f8, max for compacts I believe and set shutter speed to 1/80-1/150s (ish..)

Zoom as far as you can...
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

If u keep getting the moon all white, increase ur shutter speed till u can see it right. Happy trying

One very important point. Auto Focus won't work here. You should be getting a quite blurry image I guess. What you can do, set it to MANUAL mode. MANUAL Focus too. For Shutter, make it 1/2 sec (+- but purposely under expose it, if not the light will smuge). Aperture set it to F8. Manual Focus it to infinity (VERY IMPORTANT! Because too dark your A95 won't focus properly).

ever tried on my fuji4900. You got to underexpose it a lot to get the 'patches'. I tried for over 10 pics just to get a nice moon.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

but u need a telescope la brudder.... how to take like dat?

hey guys! thanks for all the tips. I will try the 'underexpose' method suggested by t-ster and yyk.

don't have telescope.. and not enough vit-m to get accessories for now, maybe when i become more proficient with my camera then consider getting polariser, filters, etc.