Thread: Snapfish quality - has it imroved?

Default Snapfish quality - has it imroved?

I've ordered some 4x6" photos from Snapfish but they have yet to arrive, so I'm clueless on the quality.

From old search results, people were saying that Snapfish looks "cheap" and lousier compared to other shops like Fotohub. Is this still true?
    I'm thinking of printing some 8R photos for my mother and grandparents, they have been complaining about never getting to see the photos taken by digital cameras..

I am more concerned about the image quality than the 'feel' of the paper, as the photos will be framed anyway.

Thank you for reading

Default Re: Snapfish quality - has it imroved?

snapfish is market to mess consumers which convenient and price are their main concern, not the print quality.

you can't have cheap, good and fast (convenient) all three, you can only pick two, so pick the two matters most to you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thank you for your simple but often forgotten advice. Fotohub's 8R prints seem to be as competitively priced as Snapfish too. I think I will go with photohub for the larger prints.

i printed at gracedigital 8r + cold lamination + frame for $21 each.
    Good stuff. Color reproduction is quite accurate, sharpness is still there.

Few years back, thought snapfish is a god send.... sit at home, send photos, pay and wait at the comfort of home for the photos.... but after receiving the photos, I threw all away and make my way to a shop to process the photos again..... that's the end... ut that is few years back already.... don't know if they improve..... but since now seldom do printing.... don't really bother....

Quote Originally Posted by N-user
    Few years back, thought snapfish is a god send.... sit at home, send photos, pay and wait at the comfort of home for the photos.... but after receiving the photos, I threw all away and make my way to a shop to process the photos again..... that's the end... ut that is few years back already.... don't know if they improve..... but since now seldom do printing.... don't really bother....
    Lol.. Same, I last used snapfish in 2007/8..

Lonereaction, since you have ordered, why not you tell us how the print is like?
    Last edited by Prince Photogenic; 7th January 2012 at 01:21 AM.
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    Lol.. Same, I last used snapfish in 2007/8..

Lonereaction, since you have ordered, why not you tell us how the print is like?
    I will be ordering stuff from snapfish and photohub.. Even ordered a poster print from snapfish, because it has the size I want. Will post here again in a week or two!

I just received my first batch of 200+ photos from Snapfish few weeks back. I never knew that who I send to for printing would make such a huge difference (very new newbie here). Upon receiving and going through my photos I nearly fell off my chair, the quality is absolutely horrible (normally I send to a generic photo developing shop, not a special pone, just the nearest one I can find)!

Anyway, I returned all of it and will never go back to them again even for free.

u returned the fotos to SF? why?
    Alpha

FYI, the digilabs usually will do some color correction and density adjustment while printing your files, since it is manually done, so the quality of the print out really depends on the person who print your photos,

some labs offer very low price printing, or those self-help kiosks, all the image files will feed into the machine directly and photos will be printed "At It Is" or set at "auto correction", so it is not surprise you will get horrible print out if your image files is off colors, wrong exposure originally.

if you print photos regularly, and very concern about the quality, it is very important to try out a few labs and stick with one or two labs which able to offer you consistent results.

Useful addresses of common photographic equipment/services shops

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    FYI, the digilabs usually will do some color correction and density adjustment while printing your files, since it is manually done, so the quality of the print out really depends on the person who print your photos,

some labs offer very low price printing, or those self-help kiosks, all the image files will feed into the machine directly and photos will be printed "At It Is" or set at "auto correction", so it is not surprise you will get horrible print out if your image files is off colors, wrong exposure originally.

if you print photos regularly, and very concern about the quality, it is very important to try out a few labs and stick with one or two labs which able to offer you consistent results.

Useful addresses of common photographic equipment/services shops
    Uncle Catchlights, Konota uses the DIY kiosks nowadays too.. =(
    Alpha

Ya but do they still retain the proper set up for the more discerning customers? if so, then there's no issue. They're just expanding their setup to cater to a different market segment with the DIY kiosk
    Some of the DIY kiosks are just channels for you to upload your images to their system. You don't get the printout immediately from the kiosk.
    Exploring! :)

tho you input your files thru the kiosks, you still can instruct them to fine tune your files.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra

Ya but do they still retain the proper set up for the more discerning customers? if so, then there's no issue. They're just expanding their setup to cater to a different market segment with the DIY kiosk
    Some of the DIY kiosks are just channels for you to upload your images to their system. You don't get the printout immediately from the kiosk.
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    tho you input your files thru the kiosks, you still can instruct them to fine tune your files.
    Oh I see.. Thanks for shedding light on this, I caught it (pun not intended) =P
    Alpha

u returned the fotos to SF? why?
    Oh sorry, I should've clarified haha. cos I'm in the States for a while, so return them to get my refund.

I've gotten the photos. Quality wise, it looks like i printed it at home.. If I were to print for myself I would choose a better company. However, I'm printing for my grandparents, so quality is not a major issue. Quantity wins over quality.

I passed the photos to my grandmother, and she is quite pleased with the quality.

I think I will pay for a prepay package to make it even cheaper. I just bought my own camera and got some very clear shots, and will print some of them too, just for fun.

Just gotten a set of prints from Snapfish recently and am sorry to say that the quality hasn't much improved much. I've asked for the glossy option and the photos come as though they were only slightly glossier than matte. Had the same batch of photos reprinted on true glossy paper and compared the colours - Snapfish photos were over saturated (in my opinion) & skin tones didn't rendered well.

The biggest gripe was that the photos were printed on HP's own photo paper! Which wasn't the quality I had expected. I had previously used Snapfish UK's photo printing service whilst I was there and it was excellent! Photos were printed on Fuji Crystal Archive paper and were really glossy.

Totally did not expect their service to vary so much - will not go to Snapfish SG again (thankfully though, they offered a full refund for the photos and a 20% discount on the next service)