Thread: GPS anyone?

Default GPS anyone?

Anyone into GPS and geo-caching here? maybe we can setup a database of coordinates with good photoshoot locations!

BTW, if any of you are thinking of getting a GPS receiver with software for singapore, I can get it at a speical price. Just drop me a PM!
    Olympus EM-1, 7-14/2.8, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8, 17/1.8, 25/1.2, 60/2.8

gps receiver? standalone or must insert into pc or pda? how much are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    gps receiver? standalone or must insert into pc or pda? how much are we talking about?
    Bluetooth... Can link to PPC, Palm or Smartphone... Can see on my website here.

There's also some car mount that comes with a attached GPS. If you're interested, just le me know.

vince123123
    Guests

i'm interested in a car navigation system, but the products i've seen so far have much to be desired (all with very old outdated incompetent software mainly).

wonder if yours can do the trick.

What do you use GPS for in Singapore? Geo-caching? Since Singapore is so small, we do not have a 'real' place to hike or trek, and most places are installed with road signs and buildings/immeubles are not good for satellite acquisition as they block or deflect the signal, I see no place for GPS in this little red dot in a serious sense for consumers other than professional application, maybe for some leisure hobby like geo-caching / geo-teaming or for sports performance logging.

2 cents
    Last edited by Zephirum; 27th November 2004 at 10:31 AM.

It is impossible to lose your way in Singapore. GPS serves no purpose here. As for getting the right spot for photography, I think it is much easier to find with visual than gadgets.

well, supposing we want a cruise missile to hit Don's office, then we need to supply the GPS data in order to key the targetting system

there are a number of professional applications where GPS data is required even in this little red dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephirum
    What do you use GPS for in Singapore? Geo-caching? Since Singapore is so small, we do not have a 'real' place to hike or trek, and most places are installed with road signs and buildings/immeubles are not good for satellite acquisition as they block or deflect the signal, I see no place for GPS in this little red dot in a serious sense for consumers other than professional application, maybe for some leisure hobby like geo-caching / geo-teaming or for sports performance logging.

2 cents
    chongkm started this thread with geocaching in mind. so yes you will need a gps device to get you to that location.

although we may be living in a little red dot, if you enlarge the red dot you will need navigation aids to help you find specific pixels. why do we have street directories then?

where applications like kingmap which interface between the gps device and gps-enabled road maps help drivers get from point a to point b. some even offer voice directions so the driver can focus on driving instead of worrying about withc direction to take.

Well, I suggest you readup more on geocaching and see what it is first. It's quite and interesting thing to do, whether you're in SG or abroad.

GPS's pretty accurate, down to a few meters, so... it's difficult to miss the location once you have the coordinates.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    It is impossible to lose your way in Singapore. GPS serves no purpose here. As for getting the right spot for photography, I think it is much easier to find with visual than gadgets.

GPS is really accurate, provided you have clear skies above. It can turn inaccurate without warning if you go under highways or in forested areas. I use a garmin etrax venture for for my bicycle.

i use a garmin Etrex when i'm oversea to track those important location like bus terminal,airport,lodging etc.. for a peace of mind while i walk around..

also good for taking sun rise/set as those info are available on the GPS as well.

ClubSNAP Admin

Quote Originally Posted by chongkm
    Anyone into GPS and geo-caching here? maybe we can setup a database of coordinates with good photoshoot locations!

BTW, if any of you are thinking of getting a GPS receiver with software for singapore, I can get it at a speical price. Just drop me a PM!
    How Special is the price?

I find US prices, with their constant rebates etc, about 50% off local GPS prices. Really no reason to buy in Singapore.

I use Etrex bought from US. But Etrex can't take an external antenna, and reception a bit poor in Malaysian forest/jungle...