Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: What tripod to get for a noob

  1. #1
    Member Marcus7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chinatown
    Posts
    1,428

    Default What tripod to get for a noob

    Hi everyone,I am using a Canon 60D & a Tamron 17-50mm(Non-VC)lens...I would like to get a good & reasonable tripod for shooting fireworks.I don't mind a china-made brand & not necessary manfrotto or those expensive brand.My budget is $150-$200.My height is 1.7m & would sincerely hope those senior members of CS can suggest a particular brand...preferably as a whole(tripod plus ballhead)& also which shop to get from(if u guys know).Please help.Thank You!

  2. #2
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: What tripod to get for a noob

    We have lots of sticky threads .. for a reason:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/other...ipod-head.html
    EOS

  3. #3

    Default Re: What tripod to get for a noob

    or do a search for "recommend tripod" and dig through the many previous recommendations...
    Alpha

  4. #4
    Senior Member luckyorange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    2,843
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What tripod to get for a noob

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus7 View Post
    Hi everyone,I am using a Canon 60D & a Tamron 17-50mm(Non-VC)lens...I would like to get a good & reasonable tripod for shooting fireworks.I don't mind a china-made brand & not necessary manfrotto or those expensive brand.My budget is $150-$200.My height is 1.7m & would sincerely hope those senior members of CS can suggest a particular brand...preferably as a whole(tripod plus ballhead)& also which shop to get from(if u guys know).Please help.Thank You!
    maybe you can go Tk foto to try out their Sirui tripod, it's around your budget. Famous brand here..
    Lousy de My Flickr

  5. #5
    Member Csboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pulau Ubin
    Posts
    991

    Default Re: What tripod to get for a noob

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus7 View Post
    Hi everyone,I am using a Canon 60D & a Tamron 17-50mm(Non-VC)lens...I would like to get a good & reasonable tripod for shooting fireworks.I don't mind a china-made brand & not necessary manfrotto or those expensive brand.My budget is $150-$200.My height is 1.7m & would sincerely hope those senior members of CS can suggest a particular brand...preferably as a whole(tripod plus ballhead)& also which shop to get from(if u guys know).Please help.Thank You!
    Before you buy a tripod, you must think to yourself, how heavy is your setup now? Will it get heavier next time, for example now you are using 17-50mm, will you get a longer lens or heavier lens next time? Such as L lens with grip or external flash? Your budget is capable to get you a reasonably good tripod that can least you for a long time. And might have some spare cash too! Cheers!
    Cheap lenses are not good AND Good lenses are not cheap!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore (West)
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyorange

    maybe you can go Tk foto to try out their Sirui tripod, it's around your budget. Famous brand here..
    Second that..
    Bring your gear there to try out the range of tripods there...
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

  7. #7

    Default

    Tk foto? The last shop i would go the purchase! I've never came across such a bad customer service or i would say they know nuts about customer service! (just my personal comments/view)

    Went there couple of days back to purchase few stuff and none of the salesman was bothered even to look at you. Approached a guy and he refer me to another fellow and he shook his head and after that he was not even bothered to look at me hence turned his face to the other side! No doubt their prices are competitive but their not one of the best and i would never ever want to support this kind of shops!

    Just sharing something that i encounter, with fellow buyers who aspect some customer service.....

  8. #8
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: What tripod to get for a noob

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiftymm View Post
    Tk foto? The last shop i would go the purchase! I've never came across such a bad customer service or i would say they know nuts about customer service! (just my personal comments/view)
    Went there couple of days back to purchase few stuff and none of the salesman was bothered even to look at you. Approached a guy and he refer me to another fellow and he shook his head and after that he was not even bothered to look at me hence turned his face to the other side! No doubt their prices are competitive but their not one of the best and i would never ever want to support this kind of shops!
    Just sharing something that i encounter, with fellow buyers who aspect some customer service.....
    While we certainly welcome such feedback allow me a few basic comments (and for the record: I have never been to this shop).
    First, we have a Consumer Corner where such feedback is placed best. Many stories about other shops are there as well and you'll also find positive commenst about TK Photo. Looking at your comment I miss a few points to get a clear picture:
    1) When were you there (time of the day)? Was the shop packed or all sales staff idling?
    2) What exactly have you asked for? What was the response (verbal feedback) from the staff?
    Demanding customer service is one thing, but let's not forget good manners on the other hand
    EOS

  9. #9

    Default Re: What tripod to get for a noob

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiftymm View Post
    Tk foto? The last shop i would go the purchase! I've never came across such a bad customer service or i would say they know nuts about customer service! (just my personal comments/view)

    Went there couple of days back to purchase few stuff and none of the salesman was bothered even to look at you. Approached a guy and he refer me to another fellow and he shook his head and after that he was not even bothered to look at me hence turned his face to the other side! No doubt their prices are competitive but their not one of the best and i would never ever want to support this kind of shops!

    Just sharing something that i encounter, with fellow buyers who aspect some customer service.....
    Personally I like going there because I can look and touch around without the salesman standing beside me trying to sell their stuff. If you want to buy you can just ask them for their comments etc. Most of the time I know what I want to get and would have researched for info prior going there so for me I don't need their attention and can happily test their stuff. If you have question then no harm just approach them to ask. They are not the most friendly people around but I would say they are the more honest ones since the price tags are already on their products.

    Different shops attract different types of customers. If you want entertaining salesman maybe John 3:16 would suit your needs. Some shops can be friendly to you with a chopper hidden underneath their pants/skirts. You might end up getting chopped and still say "thank you for your good service" to them.

  10. #10

    Default Re: What tripod to get for a noob

    TS: you can go TK foto website to look at their prices...short list those that meet your budget and compare with other shops or other brands. I guess it might be easier to slowly narrow down your list.

    My personal opinion is you may want pay more attention to ball heads. Tripod legs on average should suit your normal causal needs but the problems I face using budget setup is ball heads always creep and mess up my composition. That's why I told myself to be less stingy and got a good sirui ballhead K30X (wanted 40X but no stock) and immediately I can understand why is there a need to spend more at the beginning to save more in the long run.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus7
    Hi everyone,I am using a Canon 60D & a Tamron 17-50mm(Non-VC)lens...I would like to get a good & reasonable tripod for shooting fireworks.I don't mind a china-made brand & not necessary manfrotto or those expensive brand.My budget is $150-$200.My height is 1.7m & would sincerely hope those senior members of CS can suggest a particular brand...preferably as a whole(tripod plus ballhead)& also which shop to get from(if u guys know).Please help.Thank You!
    Marcus, I wanna get a Sirui T-series tripod too.. When u buying?

    So far I've never had too much a bad experience with TK Foto leh..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

  12. #12

    Default

    Hi Octarine,

    1) i was there ard close to 7pm
    The shop wasn't packed at all... (if i'm not mistaken only me and another customer was there)


    2) i was looking for a bag, i checked a few and only approached the staff in a nice manner once i decided to buy but the salesman refer me to another guy as he was heading out of the shop or maybe bz with something else.
    The other salesman shook his head and turned his face the other side and did not bothered to even ask me anything or offer to show me the bag. (which i approached the staff as "i would like to buy this bag" ) not only me felt that they were stuck up with their service but a friend of my followed me to the shop felt the same.
    anyway i wanted to buy couple of things from them such as tripod, wireless shutter release, filters and bags.
    Due to the service i decided to get only the bag as i wanted to give it as a gift to my fren on that night itself , if not i wouldn't have bought that too from them, at the same time to show that i'm a potential buyer and didnt come up there to waste time or to demand for anything without buying.

    Well this is my personal experience with them and i'm not going to spread a word of mouth about the shop, thus not gonna recommend it to any of my frens as pricing wise they are not the best yet there are shops out there who match their price or even a better price with better customer service.

  13. #13

    Default Re: What tripod to get for a noob

    from my experience at TK Foto.. they only act nonchalant towards a customer if the customer was rude in the first place.

  14. #14
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiftymm
    Hi Octarine,

    1) i was there ard close to 7pm
    The shop wasn't packed at all... (if i'm not mistaken only me and another customer was there)

    2) i was looking for a bag, i checked a few and only approached the staff in a nice manner once i decided to buy but the salesman refer me to another guy as he was heading out of the shop or maybe bz with something else.
    The other salesman shook his head and turned his face the other side and did not bothered to even ask me anything or offer to show me the bag. (which i approached the staff as "i would like to buy this bag" ) not only me felt that they were stuck up with their service but a friend of my followed me to the shop felt the same.
    anyway i wanted to buy couple of things from them such as tripod, wireless shutter release, filters and bags.
    Due to the service i decided to get only the bag as i wanted to give it as a gift to my fren on that night itself , if not i wouldn't have bought that too from them, at the same time to show that i'm a potential buyer and didnt come up there to waste time or to demand for anything without buying.

    Well this is my personal experience with them and i'm not going to spread a word of mouth about the shop, thus not gonna recommend it to any of my frens as pricing wise they are not the best yet there are shops out there who match their price or even a better price with better customer service.
    Don't TK close at 7pm IIRC? as for bags I thought it was all self service where you pick up the one you want to look at and fondle with it? So far I always received excellent service from TK, even my first tine there when they just moved to funan. And my first time there I was served by Phillip, whom many complained of bad service... So ??
    Last edited by daredevil123; 8th January 2012 at 09:18 AM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

    Don't TK close at 7pm IIRC? as for bags I thought it was all self service where you pick up the one you want to look at and fondle with it? So far I always received excellent service from TK, even my first tine there when they just moved to funan. And my first time there I was served by Phillip, whom many complained of bad service... So ??
    They closed at 7pm on Sundays if I did not remember wrongly.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

  16. #16

    Default Re: What tripod to get for a noob

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowseye View Post
    They closed at 7pm on Sundays if I did not remember wrongly.
    Operating hours of TK Foto from their Facebook page:
    Mondays - Saturdays: 1100 - 2000 hr
    Sunday & Public Holidays: 1200 - 1900 hrs

    i had good experience with TK Foto, the last time i went there for bag and tripod, yes they left me alone to play around with the bags available there, but when i approached them for opinions on Sirui Tripod, one of the staff actually explained the differences between different models, and once i decided to buy one, he even showed me the use of different knobs on the tripod because that was my first tripod, quite friendly i must say.

    to TS, for a budget of $150-$200, i think Sirui is a good option, bring your heaviest setup down to TK Foto and test the range of tripod there, of cause do your homework and list down a few possible models first, dun expect them to teach you everything.

  17. #17

    Default

    Maybe near 7pm they tired hungry and cold. Back to topic an alternative is to get sirui ballhead G20 and if budget really not enough can consider Fancier or Weifeng legs. Get the 59x series. I find they are not best in class but cheap and sturdy enough though can be abit heavy.

    Of course sirui gets my vote if u have the money. Alternative see if there are 2nd hand ones on bns.

  18. #18
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: What tripod to get for a noob

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiftymm View Post
    Hi Octarine,

    1) i was there ard close to 7pm
    The shop wasn't packed at all... (if i'm not mistaken only me and another customer was there)


    2) i was looking for a bag, i checked a few and only approached the staff in a nice manner once i decided to buy but the salesman refer me to another guy as he was heading out of the shop or maybe bz with something else.
    The other salesman shook his head and turned his face the other side and did not bothered to even ask me anything or offer to show me the bag. (which i approached the staff as "i would like to buy this bag" ) not only me felt that they were stuck up with their service but a friend of my followed me to the shop felt the same.
    anyway i wanted to buy couple of things from them such as tripod, wireless shutter release, filters and bags.
    Due to the service i decided to get only the bag as i wanted to give it as a gift to my fren on that night itself , if not i wouldn't have bought that too from them, at the same time to show that i'm a potential buyer and didnt come up there to waste time or to demand for anything without buying.

    Well this is my personal experience with them and i'm not going to spread a word of mouth about the shop, thus not gonna recommend it to any of my frens as pricing wise they are not the best yet there are shops out there who match their price or even a better price with better customer service.
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
    You are certainly entitled to decide where to spend your consumer dollar in future.

    I've had reasonably good experiences with TK Foto, therefore would likely continue to patronize them in future. Agree with gundamseed84 that different shops (and service styles) cater to different customers. All I can say is that a good customer experience requires both parties to participate.
    Exploring! :)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •